Oral use - Can SSRI's Be Used Recreationally?

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by BluNt-ZiLLa, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluNt-ZiLLa

BluNt-ZiLLa Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Me anda friend have reacently come by some venlafaxine (about 12 caps) although i am reluctant to take is as i have only heard bad things about it. has anyone had any good experiances with the drug?

2. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    This is definately not a recreational drug. I would not use it unless a doctor perscribed it, and even then I would probably be reluctant.

3. newman

newman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Ahhh Yea, Like SOT said. NOT A FUN drug especially the first few days. It is an S.N.R.I. antidepressant. And makes you feel "$%*#" up in a yucky way. Also what strength are they ?

CAUTION

4. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    i am curious as to why anyone whould want to take them recreationaly as they are anti depressants. are they 75mg or 150 mg? i am prescribed these and as with any anti depressant it take time for them to build up in your system to give noticable afect. i would notrecomend taking them. but if anyone can tell me how and to what efect they have been taken recreationaly it would be apreciated.

1. 3/5,
      Good advice
      May 14, 2009
    2. 3/5,
      good advice backed up with info
      Apr 17, 2009
  5. variation

variation Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I dunno, but before I popped 375mg's of it, and when it started to kick
    in, for about 10 minutes I felt sort of like an extremely strong
    mdma/energy buzz I felt fucking awesome, but then shortly after that I
    started to feel incredibly sick, twitchy, and very paranoid... it
    became very uncomfortable and I vomited some very acidic vomit. first
    little bit felt awesome, but for the hours afterwards, it isn't
    something I consider worth it, because it felt very terrible.

6. Atomip17

Atomip17 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Question: Does Zoloft Have Any Recreational Use?

I have 25 mg pills of Zoloft, i have 30 of them, i understand that they boost seratonin levels, i understand that MSDS(ecstacy) effects the body by boosting seratonin levels. Am i right in concluding that if i take more then the prescribed dose it will have "effects similiar to ecstacty"? thanks for all info.

MCL
    Juggalodown

1. 3/5,
      Ecstacy is MDMA not MSDS
      Mar 10, 2013
    2. 1/5,
      Thread title lacks substance
      Sep 28, 2006
  7. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Well, ecstasy is actually MDMA, MSDS is material safety data sheet,lol. Zoloft is actually an SSRI, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, therefore it doesnt release serotonin, just inhibits it from being reabsorbed into the brain. It has no recreational value whatsoever.

If your being prescribed these, its best to stay away from amphetamines and ecstacy and other drugs that involve serotonin release/ inhibition. The results could lead to serotonin syndrome, which can be fatal. If you are gonna use a drug involving serotonin you must stop taking zoloft for at LEAST 2 weeks before you do.

1. 4/5,
      Excellent harm reduction advice.
      Mar 15, 2014
    2. 3/5,
      Clear, to the point, and informed.
      Apr 21, 2010
    3. 4/5,
      great awnser
      Mar 19, 2008
  8. dr ACE

dr ACE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    safe ssris?

is it possible for a person who decides to uses an ssri rereationaly to overdoes or are these substances safe in large ammounts in general?

do people acutal use thes substances rec?is there any euphoric effects?

9. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    To my knowledge there are no recreational SSRI's since the action of them just involves inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin. You couldn't say it provides euphoria but for some they are effective for treating depression. Some people attempt to use them with DXM or magic mushrooms to potentiate effects but this is quite dangerous and is not advisable without much more research on the users part (IMO, not worth it at all but to each their own).

10. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    They are completely non-recreational and trying to get high from them is potentially dangerous. SSRIs take several weeks to reach an effective therepeutic level so there is little point in doing this. I think the above poster is confusing SSRIs with MAOIs as there is no way they will potentiate a mushroom trip and taking them with DXM could be lethal.

11. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    Here is their mechanism of action according to Erowid

They will not get you "high" under any circumstances, as I said it taks several weeks for them to reach a level effective in treating deppression so to feel anything You would have to take them daily for weeks and even hen they just kind of dull your ability to fell emotion. Also fucking with these could cause serotonin syndrome which can in some cases be fatal.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  12. dr ACE

dr ACE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    well i just wanted to add that swim ingested 250mg of citalopram with no ill effects it did produce heavy sedative sleepy feeling,and then there was a hangover effect the nxt day.theres obvisouly no recreational value to using ssris might help you to get to sleep thats about it

1. 3/5,
      No warnings for this dangerous dosage??
      Nov 30, 2008
  13. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM at a tender young age did attempt to experiment with SSRIs for recreation, and the results were awful. 6 times the normal(?) dose of paroxetine (i forget what this is offhand) left SWIM with dilated pupils, nausea, derealization, insomnia, and dysphoria for about 36 hours. completely NOT reccomended.

14. Abrad

Reputation Points:

What an incredibly foolish thing to do, after being told that they have no recreational value you take nearly 10 times the recommended dose of cipramil.:rolleyes:

You have no ill effects yet but you are fucking with your brain chemistry, the long term effects of thereputic doses are not known nevermind overdoses.

15. dr ACE

dr ACE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    yea I was having theres REALLY weird experiences as if he was going to pass out or have a convulsion whilst driving along,just happens couples times like everything is blurry and as theres a sudden break from reality for a Milli second.so basically what your saying in the last post is these ssris chemicals are research chemicals and there no more know about them than all the illegal and illegal research drugs?

16. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    They have obviously been more more thoroughly tested than Research Chemicals but they are still not fully understood and could well have unexpected long term effects. If You keeps having these experiences he should seek medical attention.

17. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    I was on paxil (paroxetine) 2 years ago and it gave me a great euphoria and confidence when combined with alcohol. In fact I've tried many drugs and no one gave me this feeling. For me it is the best combo ever.

However this only happened after 3-4 weeks being on 20 mg everyday. I know for sure that ssri's take several days to act in your brain so it would do nothing take it just once or twice to get high.

But when I am on paxil for 3 weeks I have the most wonderful time clubbing and drinking

18. vertigo

vertigo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from new_zealand
    Fluoxetine

I have access to large amounts of fluoxetine (prozac) and was wondering if there was any way to use it recreationally? (sorry if this is a stupid question).

19. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Prozac in high doses will result in nothing more than intense agitation (physical & mental), tachycardia, nausea, kidney & liver damage, dyskinesia, elevated or lowered blood pressure, seizures, bruxism, dystonia, hyperthermia, mania, serotonin syndrome, stupor, coma, death. Absolutely no fun whatsoever to be had from this compound. None. Nada. Nowt. Don't bother. In fact if SWiY is that desperate for a buzz then they'd be better off repeatedly slamming their head in the fridge door. Seriously.

Get the picture? Antidepressants of any flavour are not toys, & have no recreational value whatsoever. Prozac may have some value in countering the potential neurotoxic effects of mdma, but only as a one off dose. Combining mdma & ssri's if regularly prescribed will either negate the effects of mdma completely, or amplify the stimulant effects to a very messy & potentially dangerous degree.

If SWiY are being offered Prozac as a recreational drug, I heartily suggest you slap whoever is doing this with a large frozen fish, then tell everyone SWiY knows what a dangerous, illadvised dick they are. If SWiY just have a 'script for them I suggest either taking them as prescribed, or not at all.

Prozac Overdose, Contraindications and Information - Fluoxetine ...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
    1. 4/5,
      Great harm reduction post. Great link.
      Mar 15, 2014
    2. 5/5,
      excellent answer with useful link
      Jul 29, 2012
    3. 3/5,
      common sense!
      Dec 9, 2009
  20. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Effexor XR (Venlafaxine)

I recently came into posession of a few Effexor XR pills. He checked erowid to find out what they were used for, but the experience vaults were lacking in the effects department for recreational use. From what he could gather it would seem that one would need to be using Effexor for an extended period of time before he would notice an effect. Is this true or does a pill or two have any recreational value?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.