Can SWIM grow San Pedro in a coldish climate?

Discussion in 'Peyote & San Pedro' started by agviapol, Nov 7, 2006.

1. agviapol

agviapol Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    hi folks,

SWIM's thinking of ordering some SP seeds, as he hasn't tried mescaline yet
    but doesn't trust shop baught factory grown plants (Just doesn't seem
    right:().

But before I go ahead, will the little spychoactives grow well or even
    germinate in a climate like Ireland's? (sort of temperate one, SWIM
    supposes).

I was planning to grow in his room, in front of a fairly big east facing
    window (how many hours of sunlight do they need?)

SWIM heard that these guys are hardy, but can they cope with low
    temperatures and will they be stunted if they do:eek:? Does SWIM have to get
    a heating bulb?

Is there any other species that might cope better in this climate?

Any input is greatly appreciated, especially from SWIMMERS growing SP in
    similiar conditions.

Thanks folks!!!

...and god vanished in a puff of logic... -Douglas Adams

2. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If one wants to grow san pedro in a colder climate, they can winter the cacti, before the freezing begins.. Established cacti can handle a minor frost, however, SWIM brings his into the basement (no light), when the temps drop into the 40's F, and stops watering them, until the spring.. He'll water them, maybe once every 6 weeks at most, and they don't etiolate (get skinny growth).. For indoors, if it isn't below freezing, they should make it, but they do enjoy intense light, for fastest growth.

3. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Bongo has seen San Pedro loose without a pot of soil found growing under a radiator in a dark room for the better part of a winter. It had turned white where the new growth (!) was. Yes - it was still growing! No soil. No water. No nothing.

Read: San Pedro is one amazingly robust species.

4. plantshaman

plantshaman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    san pedro is very difficult to kill. The main thing to watch out for is too much moisture leading to fungus/mold.It certainly tolerates into the low 30's with no problem.I hear it can go down to about 20 if its not being watered . Just bring the cactus in for the winter and there should be no problems.

Swim recomends growing inside with ample light till atleast 6 inches or taller. . A slug or other pest can eat a tender seedling in just one night .

5. agviapol

agviapol Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Thanks for your wisdom people

I will invest in lamp and plant seeds next spring.

6. Dj mOonShiNe

Dj mOonShiNe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Nagognog2 "Read: San Pedro is one amazingly robust species."
    SWIM seconds this, has found pecies in a cupboard 6 months after chopping, when planted they were fine. Very hardy indeed. As to the cold they dont like the frost although a light frost shouldn't harm and grow well in containers(SWIMfater had one that grew to 12ft in a 70l garbage bin b4 the whole thing fell over and split into five new cacti) so mooving inside for the winter would be my advice.

on the side-->whenever I went home he asked his dad can i plz trim your cactus, to wich his father replied "when it reaches the roof of my atrium"... Dam that atrium was 12 and a half feet.

7. counter_dick_rick

counter_dick_rick Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I usually grows cactus indoors under flourecents it works fine and the best part is one doesent have to worry about the winter they can just grow all year long , its best to set the timer to 16 hours to 18 hours of light a day.

well thats my 2 cents i hope it helps

8. gardentoad

gardentoad Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have had a cold snap where temps. got down to 22 degrees for 6 consecutive nights. He fretted as temps. dropped. Luckily the weather was dry as well as cold. The Pedro's went through the freeze better than the rest of the plants in his garden.