1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Can you swallow Suboxone?

Discussion in 'Buprenorphine' started by Codone, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Codone

Codone Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Is suboxone ONLY sublingual/nasal or can you just swallow it whole?

2. chillinwill

chillinwill

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Well anyone can swallow it whole but I think you were referring to if the buprenorphine would still be active if swallowed and my best guess would be very little to none. That's why they recommend that someone take it sublingually instead of just swallowing the pill.

3. Codone

Codone Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Okay, Im still looking for more input here and possibly some links.

Thanks guys.

4. chillinwill

chillinwill

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Just a friendly reminder but I am sure this has been covered several times in the several years this forum has been around. Try using the forum search engine and maybe some of the answers you are looking for are already there as people have probably asked the same exact question as you have

5. Codone

Codone Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    I couldnt find anything. And the more posts on a forum, the better it is, the more active it is.

6. chillinwill

chillinwill

Reputation Points:
    Male
  7. Politicalchalk

Politicalchalk Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Swim's always heard against doing it from both users and health/legal officials. A lot of it will go to waste and will likely end up hugging the toilet.

8. Codone

Codone Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    dude those threads were horrible. one didnt even have replies to it!!

if anyone has more information, thank you.

Codone added 0 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

thank you for your input. im still looking for more personal info. thanks.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  9. infekt

infekt Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    it would fuck up swiy's stomach, swim has a friend who once did this. And he didn't feel any effects whatsoever.

10. chillinwill

chillinwill

Reputation Points:
    Male
    And this is my answer still. May I ask why SWIY wants to take the Suboxone orally instead of sublingually?

Also, for the sake of it, I went and did some easy searching on Google for you and f ound this from Suboxone.com
    Also,

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  11. Codone

Codone Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    I dont like the taste of it. Also, if I am in a hurry, its difficult to let a pill sit in my mouth for 10-15 minutes. I'd rather wake up, eat my pill, and continue with my morning.

Thanks for the info guys.

Also, does anyone know the BIO-AVAILABILITY of suboxone ORALLY?

Thanks!

12. chillinwill

chillinwill

Reputation Points:
    Male
    From http://www.naabt.org/education/pharmacoloy_of_buprenorphine.cfm

And from another forum (can't link to it because of rules)
    And from the same forum
    And just found this as well from http://www.thatspoppycock.com/opiates/buprenorphine.htm
    The table didn't show up right but just go to the link and you can see the table exactly as is

13. Politicalchalk

Politicalchalk Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Thanks ChillinWind, you really went to town on looking that info up. My thanks on behalf of the thread-starter.

14. Codone

Codone Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Just in case I didnt say thank you enough? :(

Thanks again.

15. chillinwill

chillinwill

Reputation Points:
    Male
    No Problem, glad I could help out

16. mizzdetroit

mizzdetroit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o Female from U.S.A.
    Yes i guess you could swollow it but wouldnt recommend it, when swim was younger she never heard of subs and had come across some, swallowed an 8mg an was so fucking sick....dont do it

17. brettjv

brettjv Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    The stomach acid and liver destroy the bupe ... don't swallow it whole. Yes, it's inconvenient to hold your spit in your mouth, but it's the only way that works.

Well, actually, insufflated Subutex works phenomenally, that's pretty much the only way I've taken bupe other than a few times sublingually ... but I can't speak for Suboxone as I've not tried sniffing it. Never even taken a Suboxone tbh. I've heard it's not nearly as good, I'm guessing the naloxone can kick in via that route or something.

I'd be keen to hear of people's experiences in that regard though ... just to add to to my body of drugging knowledge ;)

18. Sargent Leper

Sargent Leper Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Yea, as the others said, it's a sublingual medication. It's absorbed through the veins under your tounge. I've never tried swallowing a buep' myself, but I have however, rushed the process of desolving the pill under my tounge and it really didn't work at all. I know it tastes nasty and takes forever, but it's worth it.
    Have you tried the new strips they have out now? I highly recomend them. They work faster and are far more effective.
    Good Luck

19. Liltony420

Liltony420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    Wikipedia says most of it is lost to first pass metabolism if taken orally. Could be a metabolite that causes the sickness, just a guess.

20. freebird79

freebird79 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I swallow. I do let it sit under my tongue for a few seconds. 10-20 seconds. Then I swallow it cause the taste makes me so sick even ten years later. I too was told it won't work that way, but I can assure you it does work. In fact I once went 3 days with no subs because I didn't think I'd feel sick and I did feel sick on the third day and took my 4mg sub by swallowing after 10 secs and felt 100% better in 10 mins. Maybe I'm a freak of nature, but it does indeed still work. And I've never been sick to my stomach from it.