Cooking - Cannabis Cooks!! I have two questions..

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by augentier, Jan 13, 2007.

1. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have never cooked w/ cannabis before, but she'd like to try soon..

1. Can I use regular ol reefer to cook with or should it only be high-quality stuff? I guess what I mean is , will cooking with street grass have a stronger effect than smoking it ..or will it be a waste of time and weed (because it's not higher-quality)?

and

2. If SWIM were to make a batch of cannabis butter, can she store it or will it go bad/lose its potency/etc?

2. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    1.) The material coming out can only be as good as the material being put in... With that said, the body buzz and the way it's metabolized by the liver, still make it very effective..

2.)She should store it in the freezer for long times, or in the fridge for shorter times, as it can mold, but other than that. the potency should be pretty stable if kept away from lots of heat, light, and air.. I have used it several months old with no notice in potency lost, and his former roomate had some for over a year in the freezer that worked fine..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I wouldn't recommend using high grade weed for cooking. It's too expensive. Use cheaper reasonable quality weed. It should produce the desired effects without wasting lots of money.

4. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanx both of you for your answers!

I have another question...

Today SWIM made a small amount of this butter..but it turned dark brown, almost black, while cooking..and after it was in the fridge for about an hour, it turned to a very murky mustard yellow-brown. It smells like ass and probably tastes like it, too. Is this what it's supposed to look like, or did something go wrong? I am wondering if she should still try it, or throw it out (it was only a small amount, not a big waste)

5. skaterdienick

skaterdienick Newbie

Reputation Points:
    this kinda depends on the method used. if using the water and butter method there should be 2 layers. the top layer being somewhat neon green which contains the butter and stuff You want. and the bottom water layer being murky and gross. if the simple saute method was used then the butter will probably have a more potent taste that some find gross. using the water boil method decreases gross tastes from the cannabis. some people love it no matter what. others need to use the water method

it should work if either method was used properly. You should try it anyways. (even if it tastes like shit). no point in wasting

6. CrookedEye

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The butter should be fine, and usually gets a really green tint to it.. Unless it was burnt, it'll work fine.. Also, some people really dislike the smell and flavor of cooking cannabis, but some really enjoy it, never-the-less it'll still get one wasted, and can be at least used on some sourdough toast to mildly combat the overpowering cannabis flavor or mixed into some grilled cheese, so the butter isn't the main overpowering flavor..

As for using good pot in butter/oil, as SWIM states, the better the starting material, the better then resulting product. If You doesn't mind a schwag buzz from eating, then use schwag, but if one wants some really potent shit, use crystally trim, or dank nuggets.. It definitely makes the high much better and more intense, when the best stuff is used..

SWIM also finds that using olive oil to make ganja oil, and simmering for less time, helps keep the overpowering cannabis flavor a bit more mild..

7. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Whatever method you use, Start with dry Pot.

When doing an Extraction, it is important to use dry Pot.
    Moist Pot contains a lot of an in-active form of THC.
    As it dries, the Carboxyl-THC turns into THC.
    So, just leave the baggie open a day or two.

Many people use wet Pot, and then they wonder why their Cookies suck.

8. CrookedEye

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Great tip, thanks for pointing that out.. The best use for fresh, crystally trim, is for bubble hash..

I takes his fresh trim, separating any non crystally leaves, as he trims, from the frosty leaves on the buds, and freezes his trim, until he is ready to perform a bubble hash extraction.. The fresh trim yields much cleaner product because when using dried leaf, it becomes brittle, and one tends to get more plant material in the final hash..

The decarboxylation occurs when the water molecule separates from the THC.. When making bubble hash, it needs to be dried fully, before smoking, just like any smokable cannabis product, to make it fully effective..

For butane extractions or butter/oil, dry is preferred..

9. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Pot "needs to be dried fully, before smoking ... to make it fully effective."

No, this is not True.

As the Cherry of a Joint moves, it dries-out the Pot ahead of it.
    For smoking (or vap'ing), the Pot can be as Juicy as you can find it.

If a person pre-dried-out their Pot, it wouldn't taste very good (so, don't do it).

10. CrookedEye

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    By drying and curing SWIM means to let it dry in plain cool dry air, until the stems will snap.. The herb is then put in paper bags, to sweat a bit (draw the moisture inside the buds to the outside).. The buds are aired out, and turned several times during this process, to get the majority of moisture out of the buds.. (this is the way to dry and cure cannabis)

There is a very small amount of moisture kept in the buds for smoothness and to help retain smell, then it is jarred and sealed until use... The proper curing of cannabis will allow for a much more enjoyable smoking experience, as well as a better high than moist/wet buds.. As stated earlier, the THC decarboxylates into an acid, which is more psychoactive than wet trichome heads..

When vaping pot, the THC is usually dried through hot air or a heating element, so yes, it's dried fully.. Same as when the cherry burns down the joint.. It dries the weed right next to it as it moves down the joint, thereby making the THC acid much more effective than the carboxylated THC..