Cannabis into alcohol, evaporated..what now

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by wednesday, May 14, 2007.

1. wednesday

wednesday Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    lets say I took a good ounce (32 g's or so)
    of stems and leaves from an indoor grow
    let them soak in a decent proof alcohol (vodka was the only thing i had on hand)
    for a month or so (SWIM added maybe a little over a quads worth of stems about half way through the month)
    so altogether about 39 g's of material
    I did Shake pretty consistently
    then SWIM strained the alcohol
    into a pyrex dish
    SWIM let the alcohol slowly evaporate and it took about a week
    I think looking back on it now that a fan could/should have been used
    who knows though
    then a razor was used to scrape up the ensuing goooo
    now there was a little brown and a little greenish
    when SWIM say brown i mean a sort of light brown honey color almost
    and then green was more or a kief looking substance
    I think that they should have been seperated but they are now balled together in what lookes like resin but a lighter color with kief rolled into it
    sooo
    now I have a ball of something
    could SWIM smoke it, purify it somehow, use it for cooking
    perhaps the ball or whatever it is could simply be eaten to achive some sort of effect
    any ideas?
    I would really like to purify it so that it I was to use it he could be sure he was only getting the desired chemicals

thanks

2. Pomzazed

Pomzazed Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from thailand
    Re: Weed into alcohol, evaporated..what now

Well, the extraction from alcohols contains other material You dont want, like "wax"(the natural plant coating), chlorophyll(the greenish substant), degraded chlorophyll(yellow-brown).

In anyhow, the extraction portion has quite high amount of THC (unless it is exposed to light during extraction!) It can be smoked normally (use lesser amount), or razor-blade evap, add some acetone to dissolve it and dip a cigarrette into (and let it completely dried), etc.

3. wednesday

wednesday Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

SWIM kept the container with alcohol and wee in the freezer for the whole extraction time
    but while evaporating it was kept in open air would that damage the THC?
    it was kept in indirect sunlight not really anywhere near a window but im sure there was exposure none the less
    ok so lets say I got only 1 gram of material from the evap. (I didn't give me a real weight but for the sake of conversation...)
    would the amount of acetone only be enough to cover the ball or would there be a certain amount one should use per gram like 100ml of acetone to 1 g of material
    this method sounds most promising
    i suppose I could just try to make a strong mix and add more as desired but I would like maybe some sort of point of reference

thank you for the info

4. Pomzazed

Pomzazed Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from thailand

well, oxygen in air damages THC (oxidize THC to Cannabinol) but rather in slow rate if no light exist.

In case of making a 'dipper' just add solvent to make the stuff able to flow and not too sticky to use. Here the firecat choose acetone due to its clear and fast evap rate, but others like alcohol can also be used (so it means the concentration is high).

Yes, this is correct.

5. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.

What to do now ? Smoke it

6. wednesday

wednesday Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

could naptha be used in place of acetone
    the only reason SWIM asks is because SWIM still has a good amount of naptha left over from SWIM adventure into salvia extraction

thank you guys very much

7. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Naptha is less volatile than ethanol (high %alcohol) or acetone and so will take longer to evaporate. Also You should check the naptha evaporates cleanly and their are no issues of residues being left.

So yeah naptha could be used, but acetone would be better. The quicker the time between dipping the cigarette/spliff in the solvent and hashoil solution to being able to smoke it, the less time for the hash oil to degrade due to light, oxygen etc an the more potent the smoke:smoking: .

8. meep

meep Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Sorry for a bump.

Could swim not use the vodka used in the first place to create a dip ?

I was planning this same extraction but instead of letting his solution totally evap he was planning to keep some and dip cigs in for a 'spliff' at the pub?

9. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

yea vodka would work but acetone would be better,you can find it at a hardware store.if not check beauty supply/makeup stores and look for 100% acetone check the ingredients to make sure nothing else is in there.

dissolve the ball in enough acetone just to fully disolve it filter and evap again for a cleaner product.or smoke it as is.the acetone should evap within a day.quicker with A fan.

10. meep

meep Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

doh - silly swim. I am uk based and thought acetone was a US naptha type solvent. swims bad - ta as always to your hedgehog fnord.