Health - Capsule Dangers (DXM products containing sorbitol)

Discussion in 'DXM' started by El Calico Loco, Sep 1, 2006.

1. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A warning from a friend of mine, something he discovered early in his DXM adventures - DXM-only capsules are not necessarily safe for shamanic work.

Tired of extracting dex from cough drops, said friend ordered a quantity of capsules from an online drugstore. The only active ingredient was 30mg Dextromethorphan HBr in each one. Nothing but dex alone. Sounds perfect, right?

Wrong!!! He got so sick that he puked violently. More than once. And this was after having taken two dramamine before the 15 capsules. His girlfriend said he looked really pale, and that his lips had a bluish tint.

The only other ingredients were the usual suspects like propylene glycol and such. Friend thinks it might have been the sorbitol that disagreed with him, or perhaps the red dye.

He's okay now. He's glad he tried that first; he had planned to take 45 to go to the 4th plateau for the first time. His other experiments with DXM (pure powder form) have been fine.

ECL

2. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I believe its the sorbitol that does it. I have had similar experiences.

What I would like to know though, from anyone who may know this, is where the sorbitol is exactly? If it is just in the casing then maybe one could just squeeze the stuff out and take that. Otherwise I dunno, some people seem to be able to handle them while others can't.

Stick with the powder if You can.

3. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    a couple notes on sorbitol from wikipedia (note: wikipedia might not be very accurate):

'Sorbitol is produced naturally by the body, yet sorbitol is poorly digested by the body. Too much sorbitol in cells can cause damage.'

'Some transparent gels can only be made with sorbitol as it has a refractive index sufficiently high for transparent formulations'

various other sites appear to verify these two notes. my guess would be that they used it for the gel casing (iirc, such casings did have a sweet flavor). as such, one could possibly squeeze out the juice as suggested. any swimmers tried that?? seems like it would be easier to just use powder form, though...

4. Choctaw

Choctaw Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    I had a good idea of what gelcaps ur friend took.. he also purchased some of these caps with (DXM alone) inside theme and thought just as ur friend did.. but the sickness greatly outweighed the trip in swims opinion... the vomitting was uncontrollable and never-ending.. since then he hasn't messed with dxm, but plans on it in the near future when he finds something that can suite his needs...