1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Oral use - Carisoprodol Vs Meprobamate

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by pharmapsyche, Jan 21, 2006.

1. pharmapsyche

pharmapsyche AKA Miss Methylene Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have taken several benzodiazepines, such as alprazolam, lorazepam and diazepam but never have I taken meprobamate. Meprobamate isn't a benzodiazepine, but I've read that the effects are similar. The popular muscle-relaxant carisprodol (brand name Soma) metabolizes into meprobamate, so the two drugs are essentially the same. Has anyone ever been prescribed to meprobamate or carisprodol, or at least taken it once before? If so, what are the general subjective effects, how long do they last, and how are the effects similar to the general feel of the benzodiazepines? Also can anyone could compare meprobamate/carisporodol to the effects of an intermediate-acting barbiturate, if not any of the benzo's?

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Meprobamate, as well as high doses of soma - carisoprodol - feel more like a barbituate than a benzodiazepine. More physically sedating and mind-numbing. Meprobamate, sold most commonly under the trade name Milltown, were the first wave of so-called minor tranquilizers that swept the USA in the 1950's. The idea being that one could take them and still be awake, whereas with barbituates the idea was to knock you out flat. Also barbituates were well known to be very addictive, and meprobamate was considered non-addictive. Of course we found out later that psychic dependence was a distinct possibility. As well as withdrawl symptoms after prolonged, heavy usage.

Due to the highly sedating nature and mind-numbing effects, the use of meprobamate dropped like a rock when valium, the first benzodiazepine marketed - was introduced.

If your lab rat runs into these, hide his car keys. The only party these would be appropriate for would be a slumber party.

3. oggy

oggy R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    Soma dose and meprobamate dose?

Whats the equal does for soma and meprobamate? Swim hears that 700mg's of soma is a good starting dose but what about the meprobamate?

Some turns into meprobamate in the body so what is the conversion rate? How much meprobamate would be equal to 700mg's of soma?

4. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  5. oggy

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    Soma turns into Meprobamate in the body. Meprogesic is the brand. How did you get to be a platinum member lol

6. oggy

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    You really have no idea what your talking about.

Quote:

That's because Soma is, literally, two drugs in one: The first, carisoprodol (as it's known generically), is a muscle relaxant. At least, it starts that way. But as it's metabolized by the body, it transforms into a different drug altogether: meprobamate.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  7. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim admits a mistake here, and is sorry. I haven't studied meprobamate and soma's in a while. Good looking out, oggy ... however to say I'm dumb when this is the first out of probably all 171 of your posts that you weren't wrong in is well, ignorant.

8. oggy

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    Anyway back to the question how much meprobamate does one need to feel good?

9. oggy

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    How much meprobamate to take?

Meprobamate is what some turns into in the body but I has pure meprobamate and is not to sure what would be a good starting dose.
    Each one has 300 mg Acetylsalicylic Acid and 200 mg Meprobamate USP. On the packet it says take 1-2 tablets three times a day.

So how many to feel nice:D

10. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    First of all, let's quit the bickering kittlings - it's unbecoming, and just wastes valuable server space.

Secondly, Oggy - before you go any further you need to seriously look at what you're doing to yourself and why, not to mention looking into doing some extraction. Acetylsalicylic acid = aspirin, which taken at high doses, regularly or even once, can seriously damage you if you're lucky, be potentially fatal if you're not. Please be careful with salycylates and paracetomol. The overdose isn't pretty, and can take up to 72 hours to kick in, by which time it's too late. Do some homework - if you can spend 5 minutes here, you can spend 5 minutes on google looking at what the various concoctions you seem to have at your disposal actually will do to your body.

From your posts so far you seem to be on a bit of self-destruct, or at least on the run from something. Get some help before you proper fuck yourself up mate. Please don't be another statistic on the NHS self-harm lists.

11. oggy

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    OK sorry guys. I'm not getting wasted that often its just I got a new order in and i was excited and coulldn't fined much about meprobamate as there is not much talk of it on here and neither on other sites. Can anyone tell me the equal dose from meprobamate and soma?

12. merc11292

merc11292 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    soma (carisoprodol) vs miltown (Meprobamate)

I has heard Meprobamate is hard to come by, and has been receiving carisoprodol for both back pain and off label sleep use. Swim recently discovered that Meprobamate was one of the initial drugs used to treat high blood pressure which I has. Swim's doctor is very nice and open minded and is willing to prescribe Meprobamate for swims sleeping problems hoping it will also help with the high blood pressure. So what swim really wants to know is, would it be worth having swims soma script changed to miltown, is it any better recreationally and does it also have the muscle relaxant properties?

any feedback is appreciated, Merc

13. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: soma (carisoprodol) vs miltown (Meprobamate)

Carisoprodol metabolizes into meprobamate (Miltown) in vivo (in Swim's body). In other words - I am already taking meprobamate whenever I takes Soma.

I could change the prescription to meprobamate, but the the only viable reason for doing so would be a cost differential - which one is cheaper? I'd like to hear what SWIM's doctor has to say when confronted with this information. Many doctors have low knowledge when it comes to chemistry. They tend to rely on the PDR.

14. merc11292

merc11292 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: soma (carisoprodol) vs miltown (Meprobamate)

yes swim knows this, but makes the assumption that if meprobamate itself was taken instead of being metabolized into it, it would both work faster and be stronger. Like morphine feels stronger than codeine even though codeine metabolizes into it, or atleast it seems to be stronger.

15. PsychaGuru18

PsychaGuru18 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o
    I would also suggest perhaps a different form of intoxification. Swim happens to remember an incident where he was out of everything and in a really rough time, popped about 7 or 8 of those bad boys (Soma), and woke up 3 days later in the hospital :O. Very powerful as far as knocking you out, one to two is good to help sleep, and feels nice for You if you stay awake. Wishes You best of luck.

16. Roxicodone

Roxicodone Newbie

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o
    Well, the half life of carisoprodol is listed as 8 hours, whereas meprobamate's half life seems to be 10 hours. Still, the drugs are for the most part very similar if not the same in effect. Dosage equivalence is unknown, but carisoprodol is made in 350mg tabs and maprobamate is made in 200 and 400mg tabs so maybe they're the same if not close?

17. Eden

Eden Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yikes!I am reminded of an accidental overdose his dyslexic giraffe once endured.He had gotten into the habit of crushing his Soma tabs because,as is for many addicts it just didnt kick in fast or strong enough the other way.At any rate he had crushed several tabs(3-6?) and downed them with with approx. 1/2 gallon of extremely strong potentiated poppy pod tea.As is often the case,after taking the tea for an extended period of months swim's poor little giraffie had developed a monsterous tolerance and just couldnt seem to to get that "pink cloud" experience any more,hence the mixing of the two substances.At last,I digress,what was to follow was 24 hours of the worst hell he had ever been through in his many years of substance enjoyment.Extreme nausea and vomiting,every cell in his body seemed to cry out in agony and he was completely drenched in sweat.Seriously,you could literally wring out his t-shirts.Severe light sensitivity coupled with the worst headache and stomach pain the poor little creature had ever endured!In a nutshell,PLEASE be very careful with the Soma,it is not to be taken lightly.

18. Grabnar

Grabnar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I think soma is just like drinking without any of the mental or emotional effects swim also thinks it combines well with many opiates if I am runnin low

19. Politicalchalk

Politicalchalk Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Seriously though, can anyone give an answer to the question. I would surmise with the above comparison of Carisoprodol to Meprobamate tablets as (250mg,350mg) and (200mg,400mg), respectively. So, it might seem logical to some cats at it may be a good NUMERICAL estimate for equipotency. One needs to use one's terms better. Does any Swimmer have any existential experience with both meprobamate AND carisoprodol, such that one could provide some qualitative information?

Geesh!

20. MusiciansMallet

MusiciansMallet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'd like to revive this thread b/c I am interested in meprobamate versus carisoprodol.. I've extensively used carisoprodol, & am considering using meprobamate... I've heard experiences of mepro on both spectrums..

Sooo...anyone??

As previously mentioned... um, "Soma" and "Miltown" are NOT the same drugs. Just b/c SOME of carisoprodol is metabolized via hepatic CYP450 enzymes into meprobamate, this absolutely doesn't mean they're the same chemicals. This would be like saying codeine or heroin is the same as morphine b/c they're PARTIALLY metabolized into the latter mentioned drug.

ridiculous.

MusiciansMallet added 8 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Well, in my view- it's quite ignorant to post on something you haven't "studied" (to any significant degree whatsoever, at least by the looks of your original post). So i'm glad you now realize soma isn't "literally two drugs in one".... because it isn't. its literally one drug: carisoprodol. Umm, a quick google search before posting would've prevented your mistake. I think that this is more "ignorant" than those who pointed out your very VERY misinformation. But, that's just my view. And my $0.02

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012