Catnip for CATS..Do we know what it does to them?

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by augentier, Apr 6, 2007.

1. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was wondering if anyone here knows more in-depth about what catnip does to cats. We have a catnip plant growing in a pot on our back porch next to our cats' food bowls..one cat doesn't give a damn about it at all, and the other goes batshit crazy around it..but it seems that little is known about the pharmacology of it in cats. What really intoxicates them..the smell? Taste? A Chemical in the plant? My one cat who loves it starts going crazy as soon as he smells it..

I'm really interested in more details of catnip..I think it's a little strange, too, that one cat loves it and the other is indifferent. It must be something unique to a specific cat's brain maybe?

2. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Amazing thing, that google...it's like it's got an answer for everything! Why people won't try using it is a puzzler.

http://www.drugs.com/npp/catnip.html

3. AntiAimer

AntiAimer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Most cat's Smurf has noticed only enjoy it for a few minutes then get bored and walk off.

Smurf has also noticed when he is on certain substances like MDMA, around animals(dogs in general), they get what seems as a contact high.

4. dirk

dirk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I looked into the different brands of catnip seeds available in the UK a few years ago. I found 4 different ones available in my local town. Upon harvest I tested the preference of the local neighborhood cats, "Thompsons Original" was by far the most preferred. (surely this doesn't infringe "sources" rules?)

Interesting fact - the active principles in catnip act via sensors in the roof of the cats mouth. and it's only effective in sexualy mature cats.

Perhaps that's so,

But they'll be back....... :)

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  5. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  6. skuddo

skuddo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well would it or would it not be safe to eat a good amount of the stuff? Say 10grams

7. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm not so sure about eating, as that could be rough on your stomach. Making some Nepeta Cataria tea could be an idea though.

8. LookingForHer

LookingForHer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from uganda
    I'd be interested to know...

what drug for humans, does catnip feel like for cats?

Is catnip like weed? Or uppers? or what?

9. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    As already noted, different cats react somewhat differently to catnip. As a general case, SWIM can't think of anything that humans react to similarly; e.g. rolling in the substance, pushing their faces into it, eating some of it, acting intoxicated, etc. Watching cats, it almost appears as if the substance itself were sexually attractive, which probably sounds strange but should make sense to anyone who has observed a cat around it.

10. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    When I was in high school in the early 70's, experiments in smoking catnip produced a lovely throbbing migraine.

11. skuddo

skuddo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have smoked and drank the tea with little to nothing. But now swim just is wandering if eating a large amount might do something cool. Also I'd like to inform the public who is actualy intrested in getting ther cat high off this stuff, Velarian works alot better. vellarian make cats act like catnip times 10. But theese cat 'drugs' only works on like 8 outa 10 cats.

12. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't know if people want their kitties running around like crack fiends, lol! Interesting though, what prompted You to try giving valerian to his felines?

13. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I do not believe there's anything psychoactive for humans in catnip, no matter what the dose. But it might be funny to watch; you eat 8 ounces of catnip and subsequently vomit all over the place. Your cat then goes straight for the vomit, and... =D

14. skuddo

skuddo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was just reading something about catnip and it said something about velerian. I took some out that I had and put it in front of my cat, he went crazy for it, even tried to get the bottle open.

15. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Nepetalactone has been identified as mildly hallucinogenic I believe. Other active constituents are claimed to be very similar to those of Valerian, a mild tranquilizer.

16. imyourlittlebare

imyourlittlebare Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i dont have the sources on hand but if you email me ill find them.

in cats- it causes parts of the brain linked up to smell to stimulate parts of the hypothalamus and amygdala and make the cats sexually excited. i wouldnt say its like ecstacy because it doesnt shoot neurotransmitters like those drugs. id imagine its the pherimone theory (i know i dont know how to spell pherimone) that certain smells cause reactions. this is much more evident in animals than humans. people do research for colognes to get a catnip type reaction from girls but no luck. i guess the best comparison is when you smell something really shitty and you have that reaction to it.

smoking catnip can get someone mildly high. however, its not advised due to the intense nausea that happens when one uses more than one should and this isnt alot. probably to get you high it would take a dose that is guarenteed to get you nauseous

17. thrackelsby

thrackelsby Newbie

Reputation Points:
    There is a very basic tek for extracting almost pure nepetalactone on the internet, search for "DIY kitty crack", I believe it is on instructables. you could take this nepatalactone and drink it maybe... or maybe add it to other smoking herbs.

dunno...

18. static_vodka_420

static_vodka_420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swims smoked catnip through a bong before.... its felt as if his head was disconnected from his body

19. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
  20. dslexic1

dslexic1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have also noticed that while tripping that his animals show the same symtoms as swim, almost like animals are connected to us in empathetically, or sharing our feelings. ex. my dog always responded to my emotions, if i was sad, hed be right there in my face tryin to cheer me up. Maybe they can sense our vibrations or its a telepathic link to animals. I think people in the past have realized this and utilized it. I gather that from the differant movies and books where untrainable animals are used for impossible tasks. Its like the information lies hidden somewhere in our unconscious mind.

dslexic1 added 26 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

this is for my prior post

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008