Caution on alkaloid dosage

Discussion in 'Peyote & San Pedro' started by Porkchop Johnson, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Porkchop Johnson

Porkchop Johnson Newbie

Reputation Points:
    A number of sources suggest 1 hour as the time for a dose of cactus alkaloids to take effect. SWIM wishes to caution you that this time may in fact be as much as 4 hours. Recently SWIM came into possession of 2100mg of cactus alkaloids. He took 400mg per hour for 5 hours, feeling absolutely nothing at all. He believed that the extraction technique had not been effective and the product had no potency. Then after the 5th hour he recognized he had entered a very strong entheogenic experience. It was good in many ways, but it was much stronger and longer than SWIM wanted. So SWIM cautions fellow voyagers... give cactus alkaloids plenty of time to make their presence known.

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Wow! That must have been quite an experience. I have experienced the same onset duration with Peyote. How pure was that extract? Was that really 400 mg pure alkaloids?? Which cactus?

A trip report would be most interesting to read.

3. PsychicTraveler

PsychicTraveler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    For SWIM, a high dosage mescaline trip is like experiencing a lucid dream from which one can not awake. That much separation can be scary, but if one stays calm, everything will work itself out.

And, never guess at the potency. That can get one into very uncomfortable situations. Samples must be taken to know what to expect.

4. Porkchop Johnson

Porkchop Johnson Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM's tek was the straight-to-base extraction of San Pedro obtained from a well-known vendor. SWIM made a number of mistakes in the process but all in all SWIM recovered 2.3g of product from about 9.5kg of SP cactus, for a recovery rate about 20% of published theoretical amounts (kind of shitty, but I am satisfied to have done this well on the first try).

Being SWIM's first-ever extraction, I was in a rush to give it a test-drive (I was new to cactus alkaloids and still somewhat new to psychedelics in general). I had done a 200mg test dose the previous day, and observed no effects whatsoever. The following day, SWIM's intended plan was to have a light test dose to last out the evening from 7PM-10PM. Instead, through an error in judgement, SWIM consumed the entire batch and ended up tripping face until about 6AM and felt somewhat odd and disoriented until about 10AM. The only negative was that I had to get up and work the next morning, so all night long he had a bit of paranoia and anxiety over this. Instead of letting go and entering what probably would have been a very deep and beautiful experience, SWIM instead kept trying to stay in control and fretting over whether it would be over by morning. Nontheless, I found the experience overall fantastic, without nausea, physical discomfort, or any significant amount of fear. A bit of teeth-grinding gave SWIM a minor headache.

I weigh about 93kg, and the dose curve went like this:
    6:00PM: Light vegetarian dinner
    7:00PM: 350mg taken.
    7:45PM: No effects observed. Take 400mg more
    8:30PM: No effects observed. Take 400mg more
    9:15PM: No effects observed. Take 400mg more... hello... is this thing on?
    10:00PM: No effects observed at all. SWIM declares the extraction to be a total failure, takes the remaining 600mg, and goes to bed. Final total: 2150mg ingested.
    11:00PM: Effects arrive rapidly and strongly over about 30 minutes

Note: 2150mg sounds like a crazy heroic doze, however I believe that the product may been low purity due to erroneous technique.

SWIM awoke about 11:00PM feeling a bit strange. I went downstairs and hung out in the kitchen for a while, and noticed that the field of vision was all watery and wavey around the edges. Any patterned suface appeared to oscillate like a kaleidoscope. Tracers galore from any point source of light or any geometric shape (like a doorframe for example). SWIM watched in a mirror as SWIM's face morphed from young, to old, to young again. Closed-eye visuals were fairly intense, abstract images of colorful electric-neon patterns against a dark background. Pretty, but they got quite repetitive after several hours. At the peak of the experience, SWIM perceived self and others as radiant electric fields rather than physical bodies and could sense them nearby without touching them. Somehow SWIM maintained enough control and coordination to go to the bathroom, eat, etc without assistance. SWIM experienced some very beautiful and deep spiritual moments which words are probably not adequate to capture. SWIM also felt the cactus spirit giving a warning: "What you have taken is Mexican devil ghost vampire alien powder, you should show more respect." I don't understand this choice of words, but then I was shown some images of devils, as a warning of what the experience could be if the spirit wasn't in such a forgiving mood.

6:00AM: Visual effects and cognitive distortions abruptly disappear over about 30 minutes. SWIM still feels a bit woozy and wobbly.
    10:00AM: I feel a bit tired, but overall returned to normality (aside from the usual awe and amazement of coming off a marathon journey through the spirit world)

Anyway, the message SWIM really wanted to reinforce is... trust your tek, and give the medicine plenty of time to come up. Haste really does make waste, SWIM essentially wasted 4 good healthy doses by rushing things, and was lucky that the cactus spirit is very forgiving to fools and newbies.