1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

CBD for low dose opiate withdrawals

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by Thiskiiindablows, May 19, 2015.

1. Thiskiiindablows

Thiskiiindablows Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hey DF,

I have been using low dose (10-30 mg/day) for the past few years. Have tried to quit before but to no avail. I'll skip the rest of the story because relevancy.

I live in a state where marijuana is very, very legal. I have smoked weed during my past attempts to quit to ease withdrawals with little to no effect. This time, however, I stumbled upon CBD as I heard about it's pain relieving effects. I bought it in transdermal patch form thinking whyyyy the fuck not? That purchase on a whim ended up being the single most relieving thing I have ever had during WDs (other than using again, of course) to the point where it's actually worrying me. I have read various tertiary literature articles (saying they're based on scientific studies) that say cannabis eases Withdrawals symptoms in opiate users; I don't think any of you who have experience with WDs or researching them will find that surprising; however, I couldn't find much information on using CBD alone. I DID find information that says CBD is an allosteric modulator of the mu opioid receptor and shortens the time opiates(oids) bind to the active part of the receptor.

I guess my concern is: Am I prolonging my withdrawals? The mechanism of CBD makes me think no, but the relief I'm getting is almost TOO good. Any one have any ideas on the matter?

Apologies if this got kind of convoluted with science gibberish but I thought it'd be pertinent.

THANKS GUYS

2. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Apprentice Sorcerer Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    10-30 mgs of what?

And *I* for one did not (yet?) run into a study that was limited to CBD use in Opioid withdrawal.
    It can of course be I have overread something. I am also very interested in how far cannabinoids can be utilized for Opioid reduction/withdrawal.

BBW

3. Thiskiiindablows

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Oxycodone.

Ah, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear--none of the studies analyzing cannabis use for opiate WDs were limited to CBD. Another unrelated article indicated that CBD particularly is an allosteric modulator of the mu opioid receptor but did not mention anything about withdrawals or clinical use.

I'm just concerned I'm extending the withdrawal process because it's been so incredibly effective but I can't find any information.

4. JonnyBGoode

JonnyBGoode Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I am a big weed smoker although my choice is usually a very sticky and oily and resinous hashish rather than buds. A good hash is pretty much always indica and just or mainly containing CBD and it personally helps me a lot especially for muscle spasms and restless legs and aches. I think it's far better than a sativa which makes me jittery and feel a bit on edge and anxious at times, there is also increased risk of psychosis, if you only smoke CBD you have no more increased risk of psychosis than that of a non cannabis user and it seems to be gathering pace that CBD as well as being harmless can actually be a good thing for people. Cannabis oil is also known to have some very good properties for the human body and can even fight off cancerous cells.

5. Thiskiiindablows

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That's great that it helps you too. But have you noticed that it prolongs your withdrawals at all? I am getting almost 100% relief of symptoms in addition to almost completely curbing cravings (and I've withdrawn from low dose before so I know what symptoms I get). Just worried that kind of relief will have some consequence. I am gonna try to use it till 10 days out and stop and hope that I didn't just put off actual WDs. I don't know enough about opiate Withdrawals physiology or the mechanism of CBD to make any assumptions one way or another. Thanks for the reply.

6. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Apprentice Sorcerer Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    I habe always used cannabs for detox help ( save for the times I was in a facility) and I can't say it would have prolonged any sign of my withdrawal.
    In contrary, I was getting a big mood lift that made the other symptoms bearable.
    It's much more fun to be awake through the night reading when stoned than being up all night, not finding a position to lie in and so on.
    But CAVE!
    It really depends on the sort of cannabis you get - if you are into weed search for a lowTHC high CBD strain, or evebn better, try to get hashish from the traditional countries, they are not (yet) planting strains that aren't known to grow in their climates. It's something different to have a hemp field out in the wild than having ten high-yield sensimilla plants in your closet/cupboard.

Anyway,
    Hash is much better in this special case
    (which comes from a chronica hash smoker)

BBW

edit:
    If you stop cannabis intake after 10 days you will probably feel a kind of frustration, which is a sign of cannabis detox. IF you stop cannabis, please dose down slowly rather than going off in one step. Be slow with your buddy body. It says thank you in the way of treating you well, too.

BBW

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  7. polio vaccine

polio vaccine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from New York, U.S.A.
    Not sure if I've read anything official along those lines, but from experience, yes it does help quite a bit, and no, I sincerely doubt you are prolonging withdrawals by using a cannabinoid. Again, has not been my experience. I love CBD by the way. Very handy stuff.

8. JonnyBGoode

JonnyBGoode Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    In terms of hash the best ones other than ice-o-late concentrates are the high grade rif mountain morrocan hashes or a nice indian or nepalese charas. Afghani hash tends to be slightly weaker in my experience and the average morrocan hash can be fairly average unless you know what to look for. If the hash bubbles slightly when you put a lighter to it that suggests it's quite oily and resinous normally.