change in post-election canada?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Pinkavvy, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    with the recent conservative sway in the canadian government, do you think we'll see a change in their movement towards decrim?

2. Chaote

Chaote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I live in Canada, and I would say no, it seems like everyone is against it, in March 2005 the Marijuana party joined with the Liberals and still it was not decrim'ed, so I don't think that the consevatives really have to do with it on their agenda. I might venture to say that stricter policies may come about because of Harper's ties to America, so maybe to appease Bush he will harshen punishments and classify it as a hard drug, which was put fourth because of BC's potency. Though there may be some possibility since it is a minority gov't I still doubt it.

3. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Canada
    Well the decrim bill definately is toast. Although I dont specifically remember any statements during the campain to this effect, it's well known that the conservatives were always against this new legislation. As for the new ideas they have for minimum mandatory sentences for growers(3 years i believe), I dont know. The NDP got 29 seats and they are deffinately against stiffining penalties, are anti-prohibition actually, but it will be up to the liberals to determine whether or not this goes down. I assume its up to the liberals, cuz i have no idea what the BLOCs(quebec separatist party) position is. It will be like this for every issue for now as the Tories have a minority govt but no other party has enough seats to claim 'the balance of power'.
    Marijuana wasnt a big issue on the campain, but cracking down on crime was a big platform issue for the conservatives. I dont think the people of this country would make a big uproar against legal weed. Its all about politics and big business(tobacco, liqour, pulp paper etc.) that dont want it legal. And yeah Stephen Harper is chummy with Bush. I donno, Im just hopin for the best.

4. fatmanstan

fatmanstan Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Personally, I think public attitude towards simply possession is going to be relatively unchanged, but I believe there will be more severe penalties for possession over 30g, or intent to traffic, at least if the conservatives have anything to say about it. I saw somewhere on the "stand up for canada" website that the tories were going to try to scrap decriminization, but as far as increasing penalties for possession, I think that's where MINORITY govt will be a good thing.

Most people I know see pot use as relatively equal to alcohol use, as long as you are not an idiot and getting high and going on high speed joy rides or prowling around elementary schools, nobody really cares.

5. pjbth

pjbth Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Yeah the conservatives aren't likely to DeCrim it. Unless we can get the economist to show how much tax revenue could be made off of it? Hmmmm maybe i should change my thesis....

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    If your new PM looks at the numbers ($$$$$) from the USA, he will see that the Prison Industry is the fastest growth he can have. Jail people - Create jobs! That's what we have here. Let the rapists and killers loose - make more jobs. Lock up the pot smokers! MORE jobs! Yee Haw!!

Here's your thesis.

7. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Canada
    The Conservative platform on drugs is clear. According to Conservative Party website, “A Conservative government will:

* Impose mandatory minimum prison sentences of at least two years in prison for indictable offences such as trafficking, importing/exporting, or production of Schedule I drugs such as heroin, cocaine, or crystal meth. The mandatory prison sentences would also apply to the same offences involving more than 3 kilograms of marijuana or hashish (e.g., marijuana grow operations with more than 15 plants based on RCMP estimates of 200 grams per plant).7

* End conditional sentencing (house arrest) for all indictable drug offences.

* Increase fines for drug traffickers or producers to reflect the street value of drugs, with escalating fines for repeat offences.

* Prevent the decriminalization of marijuana.

* Make precursor chemicals of crystal meth harder to get. For example, medications containing pseudoephedrine would have to be placed behind pharmacy counters.

* Introduce a national drug strategy with particular emphasis on youth. This strategy will encompass all drugs, not just marijuana, in implementing a nationwide awareness campaign to dissuade young people from using drugs.”

No house arrests, mandatory sentences? I think Nag is right. Man, I'm done posting stuff about Harper, just getting myself worked up. I'll ridicule their first move when they make it.:mad: