Checking preperation method for San Pedro

Discussion in 'Peyote & San Pedro' started by shivan, Nov 1, 2006.

1. shivan

shivan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have just gotten hold of 47,5 grams dried of San Pedro, acroding to scource this is enough for two persons.

SWIM just want to check that his preperation method is OK.

1. Dried Cactus is ground to powder.
    2. A bit of lemon juice is added to a pot a water.
    3. The cactus is simmers (but does not boil) for a few hours. The liquid is removed and saved. This is repeated two more times. The remaining cactus from the boil is discarded (?)
    4. The cactus liquid is drunk cold over a timespan of one ½ an hour.

Any Comments for this? Does it seem like an OK method?

2. PsychicTraveler

PsychicTraveler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    In case you haven't already read more on the topic yourself...

Your preparation should work. But... I would say that fresh cactus is different then dried. The fresh cactus needs to be simmered for hours to break down the snot to water. Dried cactus doesn't have that problem. Though, to help get the alkaloids out, the more acidic you make the water the better.

You can basically do the first step to the alkaloid extraction as posted here: http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_chemistry2.shtml

"Step 1: Aqueous Extraction
    First, you need to prepare a "tea" from your cacti. If using dried cactus, powder it. ... Put the cactus in your stainless steel pot and cover with just enough water to make a soup. Add some acid to make the pH of the soup fairly acidic. If using citric acid, you want to add about 3 grams per liter of water. Boil the cactus about 20 minutes. If you use sufficiently acidic water, there is no need to boil longer than this. After boiling, strain out the cactus and save the liquid. You want to do three acidic water extractions on the cactus. Combine the 3 liquids and toss the marc on your compost pile or dispose of it in some other non-wasteful manner. If the volume of liquid you have is large, you may want to boil it down to a more managable quantity."

Of course, how many times you want to repeat the extraction is up to you. What I hear is that for a fast and sloppy preparation, you can simmer it in slightly acidic water solution for 30-45 minutes, strain, cool, drink.

3. PsychicTraveler

PsychicTraveler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    BTW, simmered powder should stay thin enough to run through a coffee filter.

SWIM must tell you that at this point, it is merely second-hand information. More details when they come in.

4. shivan

shivan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If using lemon juice or artifical lemon juice (that which comes in those plastic lemons) how much should I use then? Does anyone know?