1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Health - Chewing gum while smoking cigarettes causes throat cancer?

Discussion in 'Tobacco' started by ~lostgurl~, Oct 3, 2006.

1. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Somebody once told me that chewing gum while smoking cigarettes causes throat cancer, does anyone know if there is any truth to this? The reasoning had to do with swallowing saliva that has nicotine/tar residue on it (during the smoking of a cigarette, with extra saliva being created by the chewing gum)

It makes sense, but if this were true one would think that the public would be well informed, but I only heard this theory once, and it was years ago, So I'm assuming it is incorrect?

Something else I've always wondered about with throat cancer is that unlike lung cancer (which usually presents itself in 60-80 year olds, particularly those who have smoked cigarettes for generations) Throat Cancer is appearing in much younger age groups (ie 30-40 year olds) who have sometimes smoked cigarettes for less than 10 years.

So connecting the dots (that may or may not even be there!) does anyone think that chewing gum, (which is much more popular with younger generations) could be affecting the age of onset for Throat Cancer?

...........I could be way off with these theories, especially as they are based on what someone? told me a long, long time ago.............

2. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Throat cancer is also caused by heavy drinking as well as the tobacco smoking swia has not heard anything specifically from chewing gum while smoking that more likely would cause more risk to mouth cancer.
    While tobacco and nicotine are carcinogenic in there own right, its seems to be made worse by heavy alcohol consumption, Ie whiskey , shot after shot. Throat cancer is also one more common in tobacco pipe smokers as well and mouth cancer is also associated heavy alcohol consumption and has been on an increase in younger people in the uk due to alcohol increase and tobacco as would play apart in the factor as well. including diet. hope that helps..

3. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Well that makes sense, common denominator in both alcohol and chewing gum is swallowing more of something during the smoking of a cigarette (where as food would be eaten before or after but not during a cigarette) Hmmm, but on the other hand alcohol a documented cause, chewing gum not a documented cause so more than likely not even a cause.

4. dnb warrior

dnb warrior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    have you tried chewing gum while smoking a cigarette? its not much fun

5. thecowman

thecowman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swim heard that when you chew gum and smoke the smoke particles become stuck in the gum and as you chew theyre continously rubbing against your mouth. Swim heard this about a year ago and hasnt chewed and smoked since.

6. Akewstick

Akewstick Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Lol. This was exactly SWIM's thought: regardless of what it may or may not mean for your throat, why the fuck would you be doing it in the first place?

7. Wflash

Wflash Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Well believe it or not SWIM just signed on to post the self same question and found it already here.

He's only been hearing this said to him over the last year or so, but he's always smoked a lot and often while chewing gum (I quite like it - but then some folk like menthol cigarettes).

Maybe time to go and see what Google has to say about it.

8. pickledsheep

pickledsheep Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    SWIM's girlfriend enjoys doing both seperately, and finds combining them to be even more rewarding. Not something i enjoy doing but then again whose to judge. I couldn't imagine chewing gum while smoking to cause enough extra saliva to make a large enough difference to allow throat cancer to develop that much quicker.

9. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I don't know, or even care, but what some dude above said about carcinogens getting embedded in the gum and making constant contact sort of seems feasible.

It tastes like shit anyway.

10. coldturkeystop

coldturkeystop Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    I smoke and chew gum together, allll the time. it is not difficult at all or maybe I am just used to it. my friends do it as well. I chew alot of gum to get rid of smokers breath. I am hooked on trident, the only gum that i chew, ever!!

11. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor Supporter

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I used to do it from time to time as with a good strong gum it can feel like you are smoking a menthol, lol. Sometimes if you have Marlboro 27s or some other cigarette that starts tasting bad after you have been smoking more than a few of them the gum can make the taste more bearable.

That said, in retrospect the whole idea seems pretty stupid. Then again, the whole idea of smoking seems stupid now, so I'd better just stay out of this thread.

12. tayo

tayo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It makes some sense, like with dipping tobacco if You swallows it, the risk of esophageal cancer from TSNA's (tobacco specific nitros-amines), which are the carcinogens in tobacco.... so if You begins swallow the saliva with smoke in it, which the saliva from chewing gum is usually swallowed.

or there might just be a connection to smoking and people not spitting, or having a place to spit (indoors)

it's likely the tsna's not nicotine because a study on swedish men that use Snus(steam cured) (99% less TSNAs vs. american dipping tobacco) and swallow saliva, by the WHO was inconclusive to whether or not it caused any form of mouth or throat cancer. but the WHO's study on american dipping tobacco(fire cured) users was conclusive to cause mouth and throat cancer, so by swallowing TSNAs there is more risk for throat cancer.

the reason they tell you not to eat the black parts of bbq meats are because those chunks are concentrated nitrosamines... thats why "burnt food with black stuff can cause cancer"

13. Kiva

Kiva Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have also heard a version of this: Basically that the nicotine and the chemicals from the cigg "stick" to the gum in your mouth and then you're left chewing this wad of 4,000 chemicals and those toxins are now being spread into every nook and cranny between your teeth with every chew.