Drug info - Chlordiazepoxide/Clinidium (Librax)

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by Nahbus, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am looking for what exactly is in these pills. Can't really find much info. Is the "Chlord" the same as "chlordiazepoxide"?

Any information wouls be great for SWIM. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  2. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    [​IMG]

3. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Ok so I believe this is Chlordiazepoxide (5mg)/Clidiniu (2.5mg)

I'm having trouble figuring out what Clidiniu is. But if SWIM were to
    take out and ingest the Chlordiazepoxide, I believe it would have
    recreational value as it is the same as Librium.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.
    Any more information on Clidiniu or Chlordiazepoxide for that matter) would be wonderful. Please fill my (and other readers) head with information.Thanks[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  4. Benzhead

Benzhead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The combination of a benzo(Chlordiazepoxide) AKA Trade name Librium, along with Clinidium(an anticholinergic)is used in the treatment of peptic ulcers and a couple of other GI(gastrointestinal) conditions.

Anticholinergics block the action of acetylcholine...A neurotransmitter.

The reason that an anticholinergic agent is used in the treatment of ulcers is because cells in the digestive tract have fewer acetylcholinereceptor sites, hence making anticholinergics more effective at a less toxic level in GI therapies.

Clinidium's mode of action is as an antispamodic.

Anticholinegics have a pretty awful effect profile. Everything from the brain to the heart is effected by their actions.

I'd say I should take a pass on these...Chlordiazepoxide @ 5mg is pretty weak.

You should dosome research on anticholinergic effects so you can better assist SWIM in his/her decision to this pharm for what little recreational effect SWIM might achieve from this combination.

FWIW, if you could perform an extraction of Chlordiazepoxide, you might have something. I wouldn't bother.

T

Edited by: benzhead

5. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    yeah, I found that the clidi is very soluble in water, and unstable
    when dissolved. I'm willing to bet if someone were to perhaps shake the
    contents in a bit of water quickly and strained it, a whole lot of
    clidi would be in the water. Still not sure if it would kill the
    chlord, though.

Anyway, I took 10mg yesterday and was quite relaxed and content,
    although this could also be psychosomatic, along with the fact that
    I was hanging out with a new female and had a buzz from her
    awesomeness.[​IMG]

Anyway, I'll still be doing some research on the hypthetical
    extraction, hopefully someone can give me some hypothgetical insight.

Peace

6. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy
    Librax any experience?

The doctor prescribed my some Librax,that's funny because I was not looking for a prescription,moreover i never heard about this downer.
    Here is what I found about this drug:

"Librax combines in a single capsule formulation the antianxiety action of Librium (chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride) and the anticholinergic/spasmolytic effects of Quarzan (clidinium bromide), both exclusive developments of Roche research. "

anyone ever tried it?
    Any recreational value?

7. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    No experience I'm afraid, and clinidium doesn't appear in the British Formulary, however a quick google brought this up from Medline...

Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium Bromide

Why is this medication prescribed?

The combination of chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide is used to treat ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome. It helps relieve stomach spasms and abdominal cramps.
    This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
    How should this medicine be used?

The combination of chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide comes as a capsule to be taken by mouth. It usually is taken three or four times a day, before meals and at bedtime. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide exactly as directed.
    Chlordiazepoxide can be habit-forming. Therefore, when taking chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide, do not take a larger dose, take it more often, or for a longer time than your doctor tells you to. Tolerance may develop with long-term or excessive use, making this medication less effective. This medication must be taken regularly to be effective. Do not skip doses even if you feel that you do not need them. Do not take chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide for more than 4 months or stop taking this medication without talking to your doctor. Stopping the drug suddenly can worsen your condition and cause withdrawal symptoms (anxiousness, sleeplessness, and irritability). Your doctor probably will decrease your dose gradually.
    What special precautions should I follow?

Before taking chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide,
    • tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to chlordiazepoxide, clidinium , alprazolam (Xanax), clonazepam (Klonopin), clorazepate (Tranxene), diazepam (Valium), estazolam (ProSom), flurazepam (Dalmane), lorazepam (Ativan), oxazepam (Serax), prazepam (Centrax), temazepam (Restoril), triazolam (Halcion), or any other drugs.
    • tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially amantadine (Symadine, Symmetrel); antihistamines; atenolol (Tenormin); cimetidine (Tagamet); digoxin (Lanoxin); disulfiram (Antabuse); fluoxetine (Prozac); isoniazid (INH, Laniazid, Nydrazid); ketoconazole (Nizoral); levodopa (Larodopa, Sinemet); medications for depression, thyroid, high blood pressure, seizures, Parkinson's disease, asthma, colds, or allergies; oral contraceptives; muscle relaxants; probenecid (Benemid, Probalan); propoxyphene (Darvon); propranolol (Inderal); rifampin (Rifadin); sedatives; theophylline (Theo-Dur); tranquilizers; sleeping pills;valproic acid (Depakene); or vitamins. These medications may add to the drowsiness caused by chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide.
    • tell your doctor if you have or have ever had glaucoma; prostate problems; high blood pressure; seizures; or lung, thyroid, kidney, heart, or liver disease.
    • tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking this medication, call your doctor immediately.
    • if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide.
    • you should know that this medication may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how it affects you.
    • remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this medication.
    • tell your doctor if you use tobacco products. Cigarette smoking may decrease the effectiveness of this medication.
    What should I do if I forget a dose?

If you take several doses per day and miss a dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
    What side effects can this medication cause?

Side effects from chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide are common and include:
    • upset stomach
    • drowsiness
    • weakness or tiredness
    • excitement
    • sleeplessness
    • dry mouth
    • heartburn
    • bloated feeling
    • eyes more sensitive to sunlight than usual
    • taste changes
    • changes in appetite
    Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
    • constipation
    • difficulty urinating
    • frequent urination
    • blurred vision
    • dilated pupils
    • changes in sex drive or ability
    If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
    • jaw, neck, and back muscle spasms
    • slow or difficult speech
    • shuffling walk
    • persistent, fine tremor or inability to sit still
    • fever
    • difficulty breathing or swallowing
    • severe skin rash
    • yellowing of the skin or eyes
    • irregular heartbeat

Sounds great. Proceed with caution.

8. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy
    thank you ^_^

that looks like a standard downer guide.

9. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Apart from the Parkisonian/Extra Pyramidals - spasms, persistent fine tremor or inability to sit still, slow/slurred speech, shuffling walk -, the arrhythmia, the hepatitis-like effects and the fever, yer right. These effects are most commonly seen in the older antipsychotics. Given that they're at the bottom of the list they'll be rare, but anticholinergens are funny buggers and there's no way of testing tolerance so please do be careful.

10. pharmapsyche

pharmapsyche AKA Miss Methylene Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I found an old bottle of Librax at my aunt's house one time. I had never heard of Librax but I was familiar with Librium. I figured that Librax contained at least some form of chlordiazepoxide and ended up eating 6 of them. They were barely noticeable. A few weeks later I returned to my aunt's house and took another 6 Librax and found the effects to be more pronounced and pleasurable.

11. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Im prescribed Chlordiazepoxide for IBS even though i dont atually have IBS, i've never found any recreational use for it though.

12. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    so, anyone have any suggestions for SWIM on how to extract the Librium from these pills?

13. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    if an extract isn't going to happen, would taking 15-20mg of clidinium be a bad idea? SWIM just wants some benzos to chill out, but not have to worry about the other crap.

14. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It makes no sense to extract librium because librium has little euphoria. If I missunderstood your post forget my post.

15. BenzodiazeKing

BenzodiazeKing Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: Chlordiazepoxide/Clinidium (Librax) Extraction?

"Chlord" should be Chlordiazepoxide HCl. Librax is 5mg Chlordiazepoxide HCl and 2.5mg Clidinium Br. I was wondering about that same question myself. My mother has a load of these pills and she can't take them because of the Clidinium Br contents in Librax makes her ill. It may be a long shot, but I believe that Clidinium Bromide and Chlordiazepoxide HCl (ingredients in Librax) should be able to be separated. I will work on some chemistry, but I will not guarantee that this will work and I only plan to use water and gravity. Both are freely soluble in water. Using a centrifuge or letting it settle may work. Clidinium Br = 352.447 grams/mol and Chlordiazepoxide HCl = 299.75 grams/mol. This is the molecular mass comparison. The only way I would do this i using cold water or distallation/titration method. Take the lighter substance (Chlordiazepoxide HCl) out of the heavier substance using and eyedropper (a Pippette is much more accurate), or using a separatory flask, (remove the bottom heavier substance, that is, Clidinium Br). I can tell you that both of them are very close in molecular weight, so it will be hard, but I should be getting a chemistry lab soon, and maybe I can seperate the two using titration and filtering using a Liebig condenser and distallation methods using a Retort. An easier way is if my mother is to tell the doctor the Clidinium is the problem! Valium (Diazepam) is twice as potent, and Clonazepam (Which I Take) is 4 times as potent as Diazepam. It is the only "Nitrobenzodiazepine" on the U.S. Market. It's chemical structure is almost identical to Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam) which is the benzo most oftenly called "Roofies". It's A Close Relative to Erimin (Nimetazepam) "High 5's", and Alodorm (Nitrazepam). All of these Nitrobenzodiazepines have a sweet taste, some more than others. Usually benzodiazepines that come in a Hydrochloride (HCl), Oxide, or other "Salt" have a bitter taste. Most benzodiazepines I have taken have a neutral taste. Sorry I got off of the subject but I will experiment around with some a bunch of Librax capsules, and see what results I get. :thumbsup: It may be a while, unfortunately, my labaratory equipment isn't setup and hasn't arrived yet... :thumbsdown:

BTW: I do not use this lab for illegal manufacturing (such as meth). I prefer to stick with my life, and I have never been in trouble. This "Librax" extraction should NOT be attempted by anyone unless you know your stuff! This is something I'm going to experiment with, to see if I can extract it.

16. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I remember a while ago (this post is from 2006) taking a few, he didn't think they were as effective on anxiety as other benzos, but it was better than nothing. I don't think they have much benefit other than anxiety maybe, and even then it wasn't quite as good as other benzos.
    Nothing too special, in My humble opinion.

17. BlackKitty

BlackKitty Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Hi this is my first post so please be kind to me. I've been enjoying the useful info on this site and wanted to share a little of what I've found out about Librax since I was prescribed it legally by my doctor.

The combination of drugs I am on is giving me pleasant hallucinations combined with a constant light euphoria and most remarkably they have been a very creative combination. I have done more art, writing, and musical composition than I have done in years, without falling into my standard post art depression. I do have some real major emotional ups and downs on the Librax and I'm trying to get on some sort of regular schedule to prevent the depressive states that come on when I get low. Meaning I think this is an addictive combo even though the doctor doesn't seem too concerned, I am cautious.

First let me explain my situation- I am using this for medical purposes and just happen to be having psychotropic reactions that I find amusing an worthwhile sharing. I went to Panama in early December and I got fatigued and ill as soon as I came home, just after Christmas I started having a severe abdominal pain. The doctors think I have some sort of Gallbladder problem that they can't diagnose and rather than continuing to test me they decided it was better to medicate me to control the symptoms.

To be blunt I would far rather be healthy and not have to take these meds, without them I feel like I am being stabbed through the chest and I have such fatigue that walking upstairs to make a cup of tea knocks me out for several hours, but I have found some of the side effects pleasurable and some disturbing and I would like to share my experiences so that they may help people understand these drugs effects better- and maybe you can help me understand them better too.

Currently I am taking a combination of Tramadol, Librax, Zofran and occasionally Hyomax for flare-ups.

The Tramadol is the best pain killer I have ever had, and I don't seem to have any side effects with it, but I did feel withdrawl symptoms after I accidentally ate grapefruit (didn't notice any benefit though...) and I can't seem to cut my dosage without going back into extreme pain. Tramadol is already extremely well covered on another post on this forum.

Zofran is for the nausea that sometimes the Librax and Tramadol cause me. It doesn't do a whole lot, but it does help. They also gave it to me in the hospital when I had morphine to reduce nausea.

Librax as already explained on here is a combo of Clorodiazepoxide- which is a sedative similar to Valium according to my doctor. He says it alone would be much stronger than the ativan or xanex I've had before- more sedative than simply anti-anxiety, although I don't feel the least bit sedated. It is combined with Clinidium which is used as a relaxant for the gastrointestinal track. Basically it slows down digestion and reduces all the digestive fluids.

From the research I've done on Anti-spasmodics such as Clinidium and Hyomax they are based on Belladonna. I included the quote below from another drug site about these antispasmodics.

Hyomax seems to be a hard one for me to find information on- if anyone has any info I would be appreciative. They are little green tablets that you dissolve under your tongue like nitroglycerine and are very fast acting but mild. The only info I could find on them is that the active ingredient in them is Belladonna- and that could explain some of my hallucinations.

My prescribed dosages are:
    Tramadol 100mg 2x daily
    Librax 5-2.5mg 3x daily
    Hyomax-SL Sub 0.125mg as needed for pain

Zofran 4mg as needed for nausea

I do feel real ups and downs from the Librax- my doctor says that is unusual as a side effect. I'm on a very low dosage- the normal dosage is at least twice what I'm on, still it feels real strong for me with this combination.

I normally have a real high tolerance for pain, and a concurrantly high tolerance for opiates. 200mg of Tramadol has way more effect on my system than any amount of morphine they've ever given me. In fact the last time I went to the hospital the morphine did nothing for me. This combination has been real interesting though, seeing and hearing unusual things, not as intense as acid or other hallucinigens, but very interesting. And like acid is very controllable. If anyone has any similar experiences I would really love to hear it because both my illness and the cocktail for treatment seem real bizarre.

1. 4/5,
      Informative first post, but don't incriminate yourself!
      Feb 28, 2009
  18. nutmeg_trippin'

nutmeg_trippin' Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am also stuck with some Librax pills and am not sure what to do. I can't seem to find any information about teh dose/danger relation with Clidinium Bromide. Nahbus, can you please tell me how many did you experience with?

Thanks.

nutmeg_trippin' added 5 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Also, I've noticed that Chlordiazepoxide has a really long active metabolite half-life. What does that translate to when used recreationally? Will I be high for a really long time?

NOTE: How does one edit his posts?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  19. dusman81

dusman81 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swim knows that Hyomax is a drug consiting of hyoscyamine sulfate. This is a constituent of belladonna or deadly nightshade, as such it shares simmilar properties to atropine and scopolamine which are also anticholinergics. most common side effects are dry mouth, blurred vision, reduced gastric motility and a higher doses hallucinations. be careful.

20. shiva_master

shiva_master Newbie

Reputation Points:
    This benzo in America is called "Librium." Chloradiazapoxide (sedative hypnotic/Benzo....It is used for alcohol with drawl, anxiety disorders and sleep aid. This is a weak benzo in my experience.

I was taking 6/25mg capsules @ a time to get a noticeable GABA activity going on.

As far as long acting. Yes, but dosage must be in the recreational range. Weak, but stays with for a while. This is a great combo with other benzo's such as ativan and valium.

Librium is substituted for diazepam in America.