Dose - Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) Experienced benzo user

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by jesusfreak666er, Dec 1, 2005.

1. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Jatelka Edit: This is a combined thread, and the earlier posts were made before the "No self-incrimination" rule came into play

i have recently been put on librium by my doctor for anxiety since i have abused klonapin, so they took me off that (sucks) can i use librium to get high. If so how much to feel a benzo high

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009
  2. hazejunk

hazejunk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    it's a weak benzo but it can be abused just like klonapin. it will feel about the same yoy just need more of it. i tought 20mg librium is the same as 1mg klonapin

3. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    lol i tried.... i took 60mg of librium a nice relaxed feeling but not sedated what so ever, on the other hand i can abuse klonapin not like valium and xanax since it isnt lipid soluable but if i pop 15-25mg of klonapins i feel fuckin nice... i just vegitateon the couch for a good 5-6 hours

4. dr ACE

dr ACE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  5. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was prescribed to Librium for a while, very unimpressed. Very lil recreational value at all, swim needed to gobble down up wards of handfuls of those caps to feel anything. But for anxiety it did do a nice job of calming swim down without causing unwanted sedation (unfortunately swim wanted to be sedated)

6. jduba

jduba Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    will calm u down but no real recreational value, 25mg librium=.5 xanax

7. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    swim found this substance great for both reducing anxiety and going to sleep. he also found some recreational value when combining with opiates and alcohol BUT urges caution in these combinations. they're not for people unfamiliar with the combos, and potentially very dangerous. he found 50 mg on its own sufficient for a nice dopey buzz, but evidently he is in the minority in terms of enjoying this rare benzo.

8. kellydgkh

kellydgkh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    makes me fall

i was prescribed to it. i promise i would start up the stairs saying to myself "i will not fall again this time". it never failed. my mom would ask "how do you fall UP the stairs?!"

9. Laudaphun

Laudaphun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Chlordiazepoxide (Librium)

I would compare 25mg librium to more like 0.25mg of xanax. I'm not arguing with anyone who claims otherwise, just stating that this is about the conversion ratio for SWIM... YMMV Maybe some people just react to it more strongly than others but I have used xanax, temazepam, and librium far more than any other benzos in that order.

I know that in detox librium is prescribed in doses of 100mg. I was once in a facility that had him on 100mg every 3 hours... It's funny that I should mention that facility as they were also administering buprenorphine injections to patients who were threatening to walk out due to unmanageable cravings, several years before either suboxone treatment for opiate addicts became approved in the U.S... This was actually the first time I had even heard of bupe. Perhaps the Dr. was participating in some clinical trial. Back to the librium...SWIM watched the clock and was standing at the nurse station 3 hours to the tick. In jail, when I had ahuge habit in comparision with the rehab/detox facilty and there they gave SWIM only 50mg... 3 times per day and nothing else.

10. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

theyre not much for recreation on their own. but when used to potentiate benzodiazapines it works rather well. after taking one of these swim can really enjoy a mere 2 mg of xanax.

11. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride is the prototype for the benzodiazepine compounds.

Chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride is 7- chloro-2-(methylamino)-5-phenyl-3H-1, 4-benzodiazepine 4-oxide hydrochloride.

A white to practically white crystalline substance , it is soluble in water. It is unstable in solution and the powder must be protected from light. The chemical formula is C16H14CIN3O·HCL and its molecular weight is: 336.22

[​IMG]

Actions

Chlordiazepoxide HCl has anxiolytic, hypnotic, appetite-stimulating and weak analgesic effects. The precise mechanism of action is not known. The drug blocks arousal from stimulation of the reticular formation. It takes several hours for peak levels to be reached and the half-life of the drug is between 24 and 48 hours. After the drug is discontinued levels decline slowly over a period of several days. Chlordiazepoxide is excreted in the urine , with 1 to 2% unchanged and 3 to 6% as a conjugate.

Animal Pharmacology

The drug has been studied extensively in many species of animals and these studies are suggestive of action on the limbic system.
    The LD50 of parenterally administered chlordiazepoxide HCl was determined in mice (72 hours) and rats (5 days), and calculated according to the method of Miller and Tainter, with the following results:
    • mice, I.V., 123 ± 12 mg/kg;
    • mice, I.M., 336 ± 7 mg/kg;
    • rats, I.V., 120 ± 7 mg/kg;
    • rats, 1.M., >160 mg/kg.
    Effects on reproduction

Reproduction studies in rats fed 10, 20, and 80 mg/kg daily and bred through one or two mating showed no anomalies, nor were there adverse effects on lactation. However, in another study at 100 mg/kg daily there was noted a significant decrease in fertility ratesand a marked decrease in the viability and body weight of off-spring.
    Indications

Chlordiazepoxide is indicated for the short term (less than for week) relief of symptoms of anxiety, management of symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, and (in some countries) for use as a pre-medication for general anaesthesia..
    The effectiveness of chlordiazepoxide in long-term use, that is, more than 4 months, has not been assessed by systematic clinical studies. The physician should periodically reassess the usefulness of the drug for the individual patient.

Dosage and Administration

Therapeutic doses depend on the indication for treatment

Anxiolysis: 5-10mg three times a day
    Pre-operatively: 50-100mg IM 1 hour prior to surgery
    Acute alcohol withdrawal: A rapidly tapering course (usually over 7-10 days). Initial doses likely to be 20mg four times a day, tapering to zero.

Adverse Effects

Drowsiness, ataxia and confusion have been reported in some patients - particularly the elderly and in a few instances hypotension and syncope has been reported.
    Rare: Rash, pruritis and other skin eruptions, oedema, menstrual irregularity, nausea and constipation, extra-pyramidal symptoms, as well as increased and decreased libido. Changes in EEG patterns (low-voltage fast activity) have been observed in patients during and after chlordiazepoxide treatment.

Abnormal blood counts and deranged liver function tests have occasionally been reported during therapy. When chlordiazepoxide treatment is protracted, periodic blood counts and liver function tests are advisable.

Paradoxical agitation, aggression, hallucination and hyperactivity have been recorded, mor commonly in the elderly and in children.

Dependence and Abuse

As with all benzodiazepines physical dependence and withdrawal can occur with as little as 14 days of continuous use. Chlordiazepoxide should not be discontinued abruptly. Addiction-prone individuals should be under careful surveillance when receiving chlordiazepoxide or other psychotropic agents because of the predisposition of such patients to habituation and dependence.

Interactions

As with all benzodiazepines an additive effect with other CNS depressants (including alcohol) occurs. Liver enzyme inhibitors (such as Omeprazole, Isoniazid, Cimetidine, and possibly grapefruit juice) will increase plasma levels of Chlordiazepoxide. Liver enzyme inducers (such as Carbamazepine, Phenytoin, and Rifampicin) will reduce plasma Chlordiazepoxide levels.

Chlordiazepoxide has also been reported to have varying effects on anticoagulation with Warfarin.

Contraindications

Porphria, Hypersensitivity to Chlordiazepoxide, Severe respiratory and Hepatic dysfunction, Pregnancy and Lactation

Overdosage

The usual benzodiazepine stuff: Amnesia, over sedation, hallucinations, ranging through to coma, respiratory depression and hypotension

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007