Drug info - chlorobutanol- Worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by DeleteriousEffects, May 16, 2007.

1. DeleteriousEffects

DeleteriousEffects Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM being always on the prowl for new projects for his junior chemistry set, had found reference to a chlorbutanol synthesis. Supposedly it is metabolized to something acting like chloral hydrate.

Well, the bioassay is up to 1400 mg with no effect at T= 45min. Previous expts at 200 and 700mg were non-events. I don't really wanna damage his liver in this pursuit. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Lordy! That sounds toxic as all hell!

Here we go: It's used, topically (not swallowed) as a disinfectant for deep cavities before dental work. And it's used as an anesthetic for, wait for it, FISH! So if you are having troubles with your tank of Piranha, it might come in handy.

3. Ranke

Ranke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    I would say yes it is worth it. After finishing a small scale synth today (5 mL TCM 45 mL acetone) swim tried his chlorobutanol. To swim it feels benzo like, he guesses he took around 350mg. He is about to put some more in a gel cap and he will report back soon.

4. Ranke

Ranke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    I has now taken another gram or so and is feeling quite sedated. This does not feel like a hypnotic as it is classified. It feels like a normal GABA drug. Very benzo like. Finally I had a sedative he can make at home. Some bleach acetone chloroform and more acetone and you've got a nice GABA drug.

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Does SWIM now float lifeless if thrown in a pool of water?

6. Ranke

Ranke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am alive and kicking. He did wake up with one hell of a headache though. He suspects that might have just been lack of sleep and the early hour though. I am going out to take another whack at this synth and recrystalize what he has. He will report back later today with both a photo guide and effects at higher doses. All he has to do now is find some gel caps so he can get down that foul tasting stuff.

7. Ranke

Ranke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    Granted this is an old post, but I feel that he must retract his previous statements, for the well being of others. Chlorobutanol has an extremely long half life and will likely result in an unpleasant hangover if consumed. Waking up the next day (and a few days after that, finally he learned his lesson) was one of the most grueling experiences I has ever had. He felt as if he had been woken up out of a deep benzo induced sleep. A few years ago when I was quite careless he accidentally blacked out from something like 10-15mg of alprazolam. It was the pure chemical and I was too stupid to just make a solution with ethanol/methanol. Anyway, waking up after the chlorobutanol felt like being woken out of his benzo induced stupor combined with a headache and severe motor impairment. The synthesis is fun, and it feels good to make something out of nothing, but swiy'd be better off rubbing it on something that need disinfecting.

8. static_vodka_420

static_vodka_420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    cold blooded animals such as fish are very sensitive to tranqualizers and great care must be taken so this might mean its safer than other sedatives

9. Ranke

Ranke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    I have no knowledge with regard to its safety, but considering he couldn't find a single study relating to the consumption of chlorobutanol (other than in small percentages as a preservative) he wouldn't not be comfortable consuming it again. He'd rather consume alcohol, at least with ethanol the risks are known. But one time probably wouldn't kill swiy. Also, regardless of its uselessness as a recreational drug (I swims opinion), it would provide some practice for useful lab skills. Such as calculating the quantity of each regent needed, slow and careful addition of the acetone when synthesizing the CHCl3 needed in the chlorobutanol synthesis, precipitation of a hydrate "salt" (nagognog is a hydrate a salt?), washing of said hydrate, and then finally crystallization of the hydrate to remove the residual water.

10. ihatemice

ihatemice Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    chlorobutanol, is my opinion, is a novel drug. Not that it's so great, and would readily accept any comparison to most benzos, maybe even xanax. Just that it is such a wonderful drug for all would be bees to experiment in for their "1st off", especially if one is making their own chloroform. Nice to experiment with, BUT, it is still a barbituate! Anyone who was to use it on a daily basis could expect worse than most of the other hells of other drug dependence can afford. Not likely though, so long as you are aware of this it has next to no addiction potential, but if one was to fall into the trap of thinking just that and using it 1-2 times a day for a while then your well and truely screwed.

11. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Lizard recently synthed and used chlorobutanol for a "sleep study" where he HAD to be asleep. (1.3 gr or so).

He would say it was not terribly recreational (although consider the source: he's generally not much of a downer fan--outside of alcohol).

He DID find it to be a very powerful sleep-inducing agent, though. Also, watch the half-life: one will still be feeling effects T+24 hrs after a big dose.

Also it REEKS of "camphor," which apparently means "minty turpentine/pine tar."

P.S. Also note that chlorobutanol, like chloral hydrate and trichloroethanol, basically consists of a chloroform molecule "stuck" to some sort of alcohol. None of these sedating compounds would be expected to be terribly kind to one's liver...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  12. gmeziscool2354

gmeziscool2354 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Will check out later. Responding so i subscribe to it

13. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    One friendly comment about the smell:

Wherever you put this (excepting a sealed container), it will smell. This led Lizard to assume it sublimates at room temp, and so he stuck it in the freezer.

Now, EVERYTHING he eats tastes "pine fresh!":p If You doesn't care for the flavor of pine-based floor cleaners, keep it enclosed!

14. Hover

Hover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It has close chemical similarity with chloral hydrate but is less potent and shorter acting. Chloral is a true hypnotic with effects similar to pentobarbital (Nembutal) which is nice, but it's also just as lethal, strongly addictive and hellish WD's for the unfortunate hooked. Chlorbutanol appears safer, but don't quote me on that. Drugs of this class are more toxic than benzos and should be treated with the same respect paid to hypnotic barbiturates like Seconal, especially chloral hydrate. The only reason such a hazardous downer still exists is its ubiquitous usefulness in the chemical industry. Sort of like having to deal with acetone if it was trippy on its own: couldn't ban it, and even regulating would be a nightmare. In the US the issue of chloral hydrate was the object of a compromise: FDA agreed not to put it in Schedule II where it belongs, but in Schedule IV so that the industry could still use it without DEA sniffing up theirs as much. But this is one Schedule IV drug your doc won't be keen to give you because the DEA has strongly "suggested" that it not be prescribed at all. In Canada the chemical industry lobby scored far better: Schedule VI which means sales are uncontrolled. Theoretically a prescription is required for the pharmaceutical formulation (Noctec) but it's not against the law to dispense it without one...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013