Drug info - Chlorpromazine

Discussion in 'Antipsychotics' started by Klaus, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I would like to ask if any rats have any comments on the usage of CHLORPROMAZINE . Anything positive and at what dosage ?

I am only aware of the negative aspects of the drug thus far.

Thankyou in advance and may you have a good new year one and all.

Klaus .

2. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Chlorpromazine.

As SWIJ has said many times: Antipsychotics are NOT recreational drugs.

They have many adverse effects and are not to be considered lightly. Antipsychotics are indicated in the treatment of psychotic illness, nausea in Palliative Care and, (off license, and at lower doses) for anxiety and sometimes sleep, although she does not feel that the benefit is worth the risk (there are, however, others here who have more experience in this area).

One important adverse effect that is unique to chrorpromazine (as far as SWIJ is aware) among anti-psychotics is "Contact Sensitization" dermatitis and other allergic reactions. You are advised to avoid direct contact with the pills and tablets should not be crushed

1. 4/5,
      good advice on poor rcreational value
      Jul 30, 2012
  3. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.

I was perscribed this medication for a long time and has never found any use for it as a recreational drug, as swij said this is a medication that is not to be fooled around with. But if You is genuinely needing this drug then it can make life much more bearable, the only problems I found with it was after being on it for a good few months it causing me to have the same side effects as someone with parckinsons, and the only way to stop this was to take another medication . You should speak with there GP first as there are alot of better medications available that have virtualy no side effects.

1. 4/5,
      sound advice on side-effects and seeking gp input
      Jul 30, 2012
  4. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:

Thankyou rats I was given them for Iretractable Sp ? Hiccup and has a Huge number left. Swim will return them to the chemist.

Sorry for the confusion Jetelka I am aware of what they are just wondered IF they had any use before they are disposed of.

Thanks again.

5. PliersOfSociety

PliersOfSociety Newbie

Reputation Points:

I have had a pretty good size bottle of injectable Thorazine (Chlorpromazine) for 11 years and only tried a tiny bit once. The immediate effect was kind of like an orthostatic hypotension feeling, e.g. the feeling one sometimes gets after standing up too quickly from a horzontal position. This was followed by what seemed like hours of heavy sedation with severely impaired motor function.

I do NOT recommend it, as evidenced by Swim having the same vial of a drug for over a decade.

1. 4/5,
      valid relevant experience report
      Jul 30, 2012
  6. Solinari

Solinari Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

This seems a pretty old thread, but i was giving Largactil a good year or two ago and never tried them recreationally. I was given them for sleep problems but i just said they didn't work, and they didn't. This is all legally prescribed by the way.

I can't say i recall having any affects off them what so ever, despite the group name of this anti-psychotic (i think Largactil is included in this group) 'Major Tranquillizers', it sounds great right? Well apparently not, I thought about taking a good few but was advised against it.

I have heard a few stories about Largactil, i was told some one was either spiked with a good few or took them willingly. Anyway, the result was pure delirium and hallucinations.

SWIM bought was was suppose to be valium, they looked the part seemed a bit darker than usual but had a brand name and seemed OK. They couldn't have been because after taking them I had ablack out (after jagging a bag of smack) and ended up barely making it home. I was lucky that time, it could have easily have ended badly. When I started to come round a bit, I was still hallucinating, I was talking to friends that weren't there, although SWIM can't remember who they were or seeing them, I was still talking to them, whether or not it was a coherent conversation , I don't know.

It might have been Largactil or it could have been amitriptyline which would probably cause delirium as well. I have heard similar stories with amitriptyline and Largactil, people doing crazy things like covering a dish towel in jam and trying to eat it, or trying to put on a pair of shoes over a pair of shoes.

"Major Tranquillizers", sounds good eh, well SWIM won't be trying them recreationally, i think they just make you trip, and not in a good way. Possibly similar to diphenhydramine, speaking of which, i can't believe so many people enjoy taking these things, HORRIBLE!

7. Solinari

Solinari Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

So edit is definitely not an option on this forum? I wanted to add, after reading the above, that I have never had that sort of thing happen when taking real valium and heroin at the same time. No black out, and definitely no hallucinations of that kind.

8. joh1200

joh1200 Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Swim said he took chlorpromazine one night because he found them in his stepmothers bathroom (and was low on everything else). I said it was not fun at all and he would never do it ever again.

Swim said the effects were somewhat like the feeling of gravity being shifted in a way. Swim said he couldn't stay focused and would stare off into space for long periods of time. Overall I said it was a very uncomfortable feeling and that nobody should do it for recreation.

1. 4/5,
      fair point on nasty effects and avoiding recreational use
      Jul 30, 2012
  9. 1buko1

1buko1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from slovakia
    Chlorpromazine (Plegomzin)

Hello, I have just used 25mg of Plegomazin, is there any danger which could possibly occur?

I need some answer, tnx.

10. Panthers007

Panthers007 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Chlorpromazine (Plegomzin)

Many possible complications - especially if taken for any length of time. Chlorpromazine is Thorazine. An anti-psychotic medication likened to a chemical straight-jacket. If this is being prescribed to SWIM as a sleep-aid, I should find a new doctor.

This belongs in the Anti-Psychotics forum:

https://drugs-forum.com/forums/132

Look up: Tardive Dyskinesia while you're at it.

11. 1buko1

1buko1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from slovakia

I know what kind of medicine it is, i was asking more like if i can do something about it now?

12. Panthers007

Panthers007 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

I could buckle his/her seatbelt and wait for it to wear off - if I have taken it. Duration is between 6 to 12 hours, depending on dose, until I should return to baseline.

13. 1buko1

1buko1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from slovakia

I am very thankfull, seems to be allright now.

Greets.

14. discodave

discodave Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have these as a short term sleep aid. I have lost faith in doctors and OTC anti-histamines tend to help SWIM sleep for a few hours but I will wake up too early. I have "obtained" some of these and has been using 100 mg of it for 3 days as a sleep aid. It does work well. I did their home work and knows about the Tardive Dyskinesia but cannot find any instances of this happening in a short a time as a week (all I think they will need the sleep aid for).

SWIM notes 50mg of this stuff feels similar to taking 50mg of diazepam in "calming" effect, but there is no "euphoria".