1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Strains - Choosing a strain

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by servo75, Dec 13, 2014.

1. servo75

servo75 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm looking for a new Kratom strain to try. After doing some research, I can see that green vein lasts longer but is more energy, white vein is more intense and shorter lasting, and red vein is more calming.

I want something that will calm me and improve my mood and is long lasting, even if it takes a while for effect. I usually take it late in the day so energy properties are not important. I like to take it before watching a movie, but I also have to be careful to take at least an hour before eating otherwise I get no effect.

Any suggestions? So far I've used Premium Bali, Maeng Da, Sumatra Borneo and Wildcraft (Red vein).

2. babalooj

babalooj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from New York, U.S.A.
    Everybody's different, i suggest you buy small amounts of as many strains as you can and sample each one on a different day and see which one gives you the effects you are looking for.
    People can make generalizations on which strains do what, but as is with all drugs/substance, it all boils down to the individual and their own personal chemistry.
    Do some experimenting, it should be fun

I personally have stuck to red vein indonesian for quite a bit now, because it gives me the most opioid-like effects out of any other i've tried and it took me a bit of experimenting with many strains before i realized this

3. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Trying out different strains is essential for finding what works best for you for specific things.
    BUT there is a lot more to be said for making up your own blends with different strains as you can get results that you would not get from taking one different strain alone.

I think that it is first important to know your kratom.
    By that i mean that you need to know what your vendor sells and more importantly where they source it from, if you are not buying directly from the source.

There are a LOT of kratom vendors out there and it can all get very confusing when they start to make up different names for their kratom.
    One vendor might sell Red Vein Bali, the next might sell Premium RVB, the next might sell Wildcrafted Bali etc etc etc and what you might not realise is that they are all selling the exact same product because they are getting their kratom in bulk from the very same source.

When you work out who's kratom the vendors are selling you can almost draw up a 'family tree' of kratom and this makes things a little easier.
    While there are a lot of home made blends on the market given unique names, the main strain types are usually carried by most vendors.

Knowing where they source their kratom means you can buy similar named strains from different vendors and know that they are all from different regions/forests etc and then you can find the one that you prefer.

For example my favourite source vendor sells a great Green Malay, and i usually use a re-seller to get the GM when i need it, but if i want some Red Vein Bali.Borneo i find that a different source vendor sells one i prefer.

Anyway, once you have found the best basic strains (ie the best red/green Bali, Thai, Indo etc) then you can start to experiment with mixing them.

Lots of people actually only use their own blend of strains, many vendors will even sell their own house blends, many of which were recommended by users of those vendors.

My favourite, and one that i see mentioned time and time again is a blend of Green Malay and Red Vein Bali.
    I like to mix 1 gram of Green malay and 3 grams of RVB together.
    I find the GM extends the overall effect and gives the Bali a nice kick.

There might be a thread somewhere in this forum on making blends, it might be worth digging it up or starting one if it does not already exist. It would make a good companion to this thread.

4. servo75

servo75 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That seems like a nice combo. From what I read, green strains are longer-lasting but red strains are more relaxing. I only use capsules, but I can see taking a mix of capsules like you say.

5. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There is a lot of variables with kratom:
    - strain (green, red, white, indo, bali, maeng da, thai, malaysia, etc.)
    - quality (environment grown in, stems or no stems, weather, etc.)
    - source (distributors that get good quality from their source of supply vs the other guys that just want your money)

It's definitely worth trying several different strains to see what you like. I've tried White (white is very strong tasting, while it had kratom effects it definitely wasn't worth the horrid taste), Green (Malaysia, "Bali", Indo) and Red vein (Borneo).

I've tried several over the years "Bali" is my gold standard (no enhanced versions just "premium" is what most sites call it).

My biggest advice:
    Avoid sites promoting kratom as a legal high, its bad for legal reasons and the quality will probably be terrible if it is even kratom at all.
    Buy from sites that primarily sell kratom, not a legal high shop they tend to have better quality since their business depends on it.
    Avoid extracts and UEI (ultra enhanced) versions of kratom. This will cause tolerance through the roof assuming its good at all which will make the standard plant do nothing for you, or its not going to do jack shit. They're expensive and will put in on the highway to tolerance, perhaps addiction.

The term "stimulant" as in kratom is different from the "stimulant" as in amphetamines. My experience is kratom doesn't have the nasty peripheral side effects of regular stimulants, for me it was mostly mental and it simply gave me motivation to get things done.

As far as long lasting, all variants I have tried last about 4 hours...you can boost it an hour or two via Cimetidine (Tagamet) but I don't recommend it.

6. JSliver

JSliver Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm thinking about purchasing for my friend and while I see the wisdom in trying different strains I could use some advice on the first three to try, or if it's worth my while considering at all what she wants it for. Sorry in advance for being so long winded, I just figure if I'm specific and open about what I'm looking for and why, you experts can give me the best advice to get me on my way.

Here's what I have to take into consideration for the first strain, to be taken instead of club drugs, would anything cover this girl's needs? We are avid club goers and the first strain I'd look for would be for her when going out if she can't get or is on a break from her drug of choice. My girl is a speed freak when she parties and likes all things *up* especially if there's a positive mental effect (mood &/or focus) on top of LOTS of energy for dancing til dawn. Her D.O.C. is meth but its hard to come by (and hold on to for very long) and she likes coke but it's so hard to find anything decent in our region, especially if she has to buy at the show, she says it usually feels like a waste of money and hardly gets the job done without a major investment. She has a script for Adderall and will party on that but needs quite a lot to have it stop doing what it's meant to do and actually become speedy for her, talking like 100-130 mg IR over the course of a night; she'd like to avoid using it for partying so it will continue to be effective for her a.d.d. and also because it's so valuable. Last choice of what's avaliable to her now is amphetamine sulphate which yields nothing but "awake, alert" with no added benefits and she'd really like to try kratom if there's a strain at least better for her party needs than that. (note, having read a lot of strains have a reported "euphoria" she doesn't like to roll hard like on mdma in public, so nothing that "inebriates", she just wants to feel happy and sociable, and of course very energetic) Any strains that in a safe dosage are good for my party girl? Based on my research so far I'm leaning toward a Maeng Da, thoughts?

Also, whatever the "party strain" ends up being, while she's good about trying a little first then taking more, what's simply Too Much for someone with no tolerance to take all at once or over the course of a weekend? She weighs 125 lbs.

Secondly, I'm looking for a strain that would be as to take as most supplements are actually intended, in this case for regular daytime energy and focus. She reports that on any given day, even days when she's not recovering from a hard binge, she has no motivation, energy, and lives in a general state of cranky mood (especially when she's been med-noncompliant with her psych meds). On any day she's not simply willing to write off as "nothing's getting done" she's been using hard drugs in low doses or adderall in about half her party dose, and she'd REALLY like to stop.. it's not safe and its causing her to develop too much tolerance. On the days she skips the drugs it takes at least 4 cups of strong coffee or more just for her to stay awake all day Are there any strains that, once she finds the right dosing, could be helpful for general daily energy and motivation?

Last strain I'd like to find for her is one for chill out time. After all these uppers all day every day, it's hard to relax at the end of the day; after a party weekend even if she takes her last whatever no later than noon or so, she's still too cranked up to sleep even though she's well into the unpleasantness of the come-down. If she's been at the hard stuff she's not comfortable with anything but her benzo's or thc tincture to calm down mid week or ease the come-down after a few days of partying but she absolutely does not want to use benzos daily and it's hard to find the specific tincture she needs (ulcer history means no alcohol base, it's a pain to locate). She also doesn't like smoking weed (dislikes marked inebriation) though she DOES like the feeling of a healthy dose of thc tincture swallowed for come-down assistance. Anything like this exist? And again, knowing her tendancy to overdo anything pleasant, is there a Too Much to be aware of to start?

I'd prefer to buy powders and pack the capsules for her because of cost but am not ready to start mixing strains on this first purchase because even at an ounce at a time the cost of three strains in one purchase is pretty high for my budget and mixing would just mean another strain to buy. BUT if you REALLLLLY feel strongly that there's a combo that perfectly matches my descriptions or an existing pre-made capsule that would do it, I'm not completely shut off to the idea.

And because I simply KNOW she's gonna want to try, are there any other ROA's other than oral that are acceptable? She's open to and will do pretty much anything short of a needle.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE for your help and expertise. I'm sure I'll save a lot of money by following the good advice I always get from the Forum rather than wandering off on my own and buying the wrong strain or buying kratom at all if it isn't going to do what I'm looking for.

J Silver added 4 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Oh forgot to say, for chill-out time was thinking of a Bali, on the site I'm looking at it's called Premium Bali. I have no idea what to look at for daytime general use.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  7. baselined

baselined Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So first things first I'd like to say that while the different strains of kratom will offer different effects, they all kind of offer the same "base" effect, so it isn't like one strain will be completely different from another. The main difference would be stimulating versus sedating strains. Green/white are more stimulating, whereas red veins are generally more sedating. However, kratom is pretty dose dependent. Lower doses will produce more stimulation and higher doses will induce sedation. This is important to note because, in order to get a stimulating effect, you can't simply increase your dose of say, Maeng da, and expect an equal response, you will likely feel sedated.

It sounds like the strain for her is going to be maeng da. I wouldn't ever consider kratom a "club drug", but maeng da, as well as any green/white vein strain are nice for social events and a good energy boost. Keep in mind that kratoms effects can be rather subtle, and strong drugs like cocaine, alcohol, etc. will easily mask its effects.

A good relaxing strain, and most everyone's go-to is red vein borneo (aka Bali). If you are seeing sites claiming "premium" this or "super 15x" that, you might want to keep looking. There is a great kratom buying guide here https://drugs-forum.com/threads/200101. Give that a read, it will detail what to look for in a good kratom vendor.

Now as far as that 2nd strain you asked about. There is really no good answer. You cannot simply take kratom every day and expect the same results. It does have addictive properties, and over time the benefits of the drug will die down, and she will find herself dosing every day just to feel normal.

I think the bigger issue here is her using so many strong stimulants (apparently quite often). All that usage is definitely what is affecting her mood/energy levels. That kind of high-flying life-style is just not sustainable. Your body needs more than just a couple days break. Perhaps replacing the stimulants with kratom can help, but it would be better for her to not use as many stimulants so often, and give her body a drug-free break.

No, other routes of administration do not work, or simply astronomically impractical. Oral is the only route you can use. Toss n wash or making a tea out of it are the most popular methods, but some people get pretty creative with their consumption.

It sounds like you are brand new to kratom. Take a look around the kratom sub-forum, there are countless of helpful threads you should read through. Take a look at the kratom buying guide I linked you, never buy extracts only powders, avoid legal high sites, and always take on an empty stomach.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  8. JSliver

JSliver Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    thank you so much for your valuable info! So it sounds like this may be something good for her for those days when she's trying to be good and stay away from the other stuff but needs a little help with her base energy, and for relaxation time, but not as the replacement we'd hoped for for club stimulants. 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

9. renacer

renacer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've used only Maeng Da so far and despite reports to the contrary I find it much more sedating than stimulating. I certainly want to try Bali though; my research seems to indicate Bali is the closest to an opiate in terms of the experience.

To me, Maeng Da feels like each capsule is worth one pill of low dose codeine.

10. Nickelass

Nickelass Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Renacer, I feel the same way when I take maeng da; much more calm and relaxed rather than stimulated. I only do about 3 or 4 grams of it when I dose it because it is a little more stronger than other strains. If I do more than 5 grams then I get anxious, sweaty, and also more stimulated than relaxed. Hence the liw dose.

11. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Maeng Da for me has always been very stimulating, but then again it depends what vein colour and dose you use.
    Like most strains it will tail off into sedation, the extent of which will be dependant on how much you use.

If i want stimulation i opt for Green malay which tends to cost less but do just as good a job in the same doses as Maeng Da. I personally don't trust most of what is sold as being Maeng Da to be that much more effective than other strains at the same dose.

12. servo75

servo75 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I find the same thing with Maeng Da sometimes being sedating depending on how much you take.

I have found that it's more sedating if I take it gradually, take half a dose and take the other half an hour later. One time I took about 4g and an hour later I felt nothing so I took 3g more. BIG MISTAKE! The original 4g kicked in only a few minutes later and when the other 3g took effect it resulted in overstimulation and totally ruined and overpowered any euphoric effect.

Last weekend I took not as much but took it all at once and I never got the euphoria but only the jitteriness and nausea. Again I find that if I take a really small dose and top it off an hour later I get the best effects.

13. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Ian is right (he's normally right) :)

Basically Maeng Da is just a name for a suppliers best/strongest grade of a particular strain, for example I have recently found a new supplier and their Kratom is the best I have found so far. They offer Maeng Da - Green, Maeng Da - Red and Maeng Da - White.

I now only have to take far smaller doses, so I take between 5.5g and 3g and get better effects then when I was taking 12g or more of another suppliers Green Malay.

At the moment I am mixing Maeng Da - Green (80%) and Maeng Da - Red (20%)

Peace. :)

14. servo75

servo75 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That's interesting. My supplier lists Maeng Da as "a natural hybrid green vein"

I concur. I'm beginning to find specifically with Maeng Da that I actually get BETTER results/euphoria at LOWER doses (higher doses bypass euphoria and just make me jittery.

Can one do this? My assumption is that different strains fire differently so taking 2g of Red and 2g of green doesn't get the effect of taking 4g of either one.

15. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    You might surprise yourself by trying lower doses than what you are using with any strain.
    Less really is more.
    More positive effects, less negative effects.
    I am always amazed at how a smaller dose than usual can make me feel very different, in a positive way.

Different vendors pass different strains off as Maeng Da. Some just seem to take their most potent powder/leaf and give it the name Maeng da.
    While there might be thousands of vendors there are only a few dozen source vendors that supply them.
    Once you start mapping them you start to see exactly what strains the resellers have and you realise that a lot of what they sell is either blends or strains they have re-named.

Sometimes 2 grams of one strain and 2 grams of another can equal 8 grams.
    Some strains synergise really well and almost seem to potentiate each other.

I mix 1 gram of green malay and 3 grams of Red Vein Borneo and i get effects that are stronger than the Borneo in sedation, after an initial stimulation kick and an overall effect that lasts longer than either strain on their own.

Perfect for when you want to do some housework for an hour or two and then chill out for the afternoon.

16. renacer

renacer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Today my supplier gave me a free 9 gram sample of Bali Halus White Vein Island Kratom with my usually Meang Da purchase. Because I've been eager to have a Bali experience, I said the MD aside and consumed the entire sample (9 g is a dose in between normal and strong for me). I look forward to reporting on it later. :)

17. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    That's a bit of a mouthful lol.
    If you want to try Bali kratom i would suggest just getting regular 'red vein bali', presuming you want to experience the proper opiate effects of Bali kratom.

Make sure you do plenty of research on your vendor.
    No need to be over priced for average quality kratom when you can get the best stuff for far less.
    Fancy names and shiny packets are no compensation for quality :)

18. renacer

renacer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Excellent point, and thank you for the suggestion. The Maeng Da I buy in large quantities in order to save; when I was a novice to kratom I bought 3 - 5 gram bags for more but of course I didn't want to overdo it and I didn't want to buy a large amount of something I might not like.

Nothing beats free though!