cleaning a bowl

Discussion in 'Cannabis paraphernalia' started by forty1, May 18, 2005.

1. forty1

forty1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    how do you clean out a bowl?

2. pokeymcsmot420

pokeymcsmot420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    this is a question with limitless answers, depends on what kind of bowl, your reason for cleaning it etc.

assuming its glass and you dont want to keep the resin throw it in boiling water and wait for all the resin to boil out.

if its glass and you do want to keep the resin i would suggest heating up the resin inside the pipe as much as you can and heat up a paper clip and use it to pull the resin out. this process may take upwards of an hour but can yield a good full pipe full of resin....assuming the pipe actually needs cleaning.

you also may wanna try steaming the pipe to keep the resin..for this process boil water again, but figure out a way to cover one of the holes on the pipe so hot steam shoots through the pipe like one of those tea things. this is in my oppinion the most effective method. if done right clumps of resin will just fall out.

if its a metal bowl, throwa new screen in and when its too clogged for that to workbuy a glass bowl. lol.

3. forty1

forty1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thanks

it's a glass bowl. i wanted to know how to clean it just so it stays clean and gives me max results, also so it doesnt completely smell. is it ok to run some water through it to get rid of some of the residue, or is that bad?

4. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    It wont really do much unless you use hot water. I strongly suggest checking out (dead link) it was a previous topic posted here. Also my personal advice is to take a paperclip and bend it like <_______ kinda like that. Then you just push it down the middle of the bowl (from the mouth piece, and when u get to the end of the "shaft" then start to slowly work in little incriments (like |---| that big), and just go around the whole shaft, and then go down, pulling all the resin with you, thenin the end blow through the carb covering the bowl with your thumb and it should come out the mouthpiece.

Muirner

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
  5. forty1

forty1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thanks guys

6. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Know that throwing your bowl into a pot of boiling water you run the risk of it getting broke. If the bowl gets pushed up by the bubbles and then falls on the pan over time it could crack it.

Muirner

7. Sitbcknchill

Sitbcknchill Retired Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    111 y/o from U.S.A.
    The way swim cleans his glass is he scrapes it...don't wanna waste that resin lol...then he soaks his bowl in a degreaser or however it's spelled like Simple Green or Purple Power for a bit then rinses WELL with water....Boiling just stinks up the place....I had also soaked in Iso alcohol and evaped alcohol and scraped up his resin afterwards but I wouldn't do that unless you are desperate...also an easy way to get rid of some excess alcohol when you are evaporating it is to set it on fire and burn it off...when it gets low blow it out and let the rest evap off....there are many ways to skin a cat...choose one.... [​IMG]

8. pokeymcsmot420

pokeymcsmot420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    boiling it will definatly smell, you can rule that out. and as muirner said it could possibly break, the glass could get very hot while in boiling water, than get cold to quickly when removed and break.

two ways it could possibly break = not reccomended...however I has boild countless bowls and never once has one broke, but i do know people it has happend to.

if your worried about smell i reccomend the paper clip plan. Try and get the resin inside the pipe hot before you start pulling it out, this will help it clump together and come out easier.

I has recently learned his grandpa use to let his tobbacco pipe soak in brandy to clean it. however it was actually a tobacco pipe, never tried it, no idea.

9. elbow

elbow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Someone at the Shroomery was talking about how he cleaned out his
    glassware with hot water and oxyclean. I couldn't find the exact
    thread, but here's one that has a lot of suggestions...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2006
  10. Fuzz

Fuzz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    When using the hot water method, make sure to get rid of the watery resin FAST, or else it will stain your pan, sink, ect. resin is sticky,smelly, and loaded with thc. Something you would want to have a permanent residence on your parents sink.

11. bibobi

bibobi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    salt and rubbing alcohol put some inside your piece and shake but dont drop it this cleans your pipe pretty good bongs also bubblers etc.

12. Herbal Remedy

Herbal Remedy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

the 420 cleaner they sell at headshops (very popular from what i hear) is made up of these simple ingredients (91% isopropyl alcohol i believe), says so on the bottle. when i read that i laughed and walked right out the shop and over to the super market hehe...

but for real, this works like magic, ur piece or bong or whatev will look brand new, like like the day you got it. ( i like it especially with color changing glass cuz you get to watch it go through the phases all over again everytime you clean it)

13. Chaote

Chaote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have heard of ppl using the denture cleaning tablets with good result and alos the stuff that collects in your pipe is not resin but "tar" just like that which collects inb your lungs, resin is plant material, tne goo in your pipe is basically accumulated and hardened smoke though it can get you high it is not resin

14. pokergod0588

pokergod0588 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    what about for a metal peice? got a metal bowl tht accumulates a good amt of resin/tar (whatever u wanna call it) i scraped most of it up and smoked it but it still looks like shit, will the rubbing alcohol/salt work or will it fuck up the metal

15. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Hot water, soap and a small scrub brush, like a stiff bristle tooth brush, and a couple pipe cleaner things. Thats all that is needed

16. dirty arab

dirty arab Newbie

Reputation Points:
    metal guitar pick or a paper clip is what I use

17. Sitbcknchill

Sitbcknchill Retired Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    111 y/o from U.S.A.

Soak it in a degreaser like purple power or simple green.........then rinse off...the resin comes off a hell of alot easier...most of the time just by rinsing it out....soak the thing for awhile though...at least a couple hours.....

18. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    I use methanol (methyl alcohol), but isopropyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol should also do the trick. The tar will just dissolve in alcohol.

19. catchingsignals

catchingsignals Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Hmm...so no one here has heard of PIPEcleaners??

You can get bundles of a hundred for a dollar. Soak one in alcohol and go at it.

20. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from ireland
    [​IMG]

This is a brush used for cleaning guns. It does the job for metal pipes. How ever, if you have a timber pipe use small amounts of alchohal and pipe cleaners like you used in kindertgarten. Don't buy them in headshops as they are too expensive. Buy them from tobacconists.