1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

clonazepam and urine test for benzos

Discussion in 'Drug testing discussion' started by dragon6102, Mar 25, 2010.

1. dragon6102

dragon6102 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Will clonazepam show up as positive for benzos on a urine screen? SWIM heard that this drug (klonopin) would not show up so took one and has a urine about 9 days later. Will it show up positive?

2. fehs

fehs Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from finland
    While SWIM can't give a straight answer to SWIY's question, since he thinks there are many affecting factors, he can tell this:

SWIM was in a detox/rehab last year, and before taking his first urine test he was surprised when the employee told him that the "quick-test" urine screens have a tendency to not show clonazepam as a benzo (or as anything else for that matter), at least if the amounts taken are not monstrous. SWIM then saw this himself, at the time of the first test he was taking 4 mg/day and the test showed nothing. About four weeks later SWIM took another test, at this time taking 3 mg/day, and still negative.

3. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Yes. Clonazepam will show up on an immunoassay screen. Most places will also do GC/MS confirmation for clonazepam. When I worked in a drug testing laboratory our protocol was updated to include clonazepam in the standard confirmation. Our screen already would pick it up.

4. missparkles

missparkles Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    Look, the only way to get past a drug test is to not do the drug (being tested for) in the first place. I know this may seem harsh, but it's the only 100% positive way I know. If it's for job or probation purposes, why lose something you need, like your living or your liberty?
    Sparkles.:vibes:

5. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    No one can answer this exactly for anyone. While I've heard some 'old junkie tales' about clonazepam and diazepam in low levels not showing up in quickie urine tests, I've also heard of people getting caught out because they believed those 'old junkie tales'.

Plus, if the people testing suspect that one has a problem with benzos, there's a good chance they'll order a more sensitive test, or send it to be GC/MS-checked.

A good rule of thumb is, the longer the half life of the medication, the longer it takes to clear. Clonazepam has a long-ish half-life; if someone didn't have their own prescription for this medication, I would suggest they not take it for at least 2 weeks prior to being tested. Actually, I would suggest they not take it at all, but whatever.

My roommate Girlie took Librium (another benzo with a long half-life) legitimately in the hospital for 3 days in a row. She was looking to start Suboxone treatment when she left the hospital but needed to be clear of benzodiazipines before she could start. It took more than 2 weeks (but less than 3) for her system to show clear. She took no other benzos, or anything that could remotely show up as benzos in her system - just low doses of Librium for 3 days in a row.

Benzos are a huge crapshoot. And if one takes them on any kind of regular basis, it can take even longer to clear the system.

Take what you want from that information. :)

~Kailey

6. missparkles

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    Apologies, I wasn't being flippant, but everyone's metabolism is different. As is every benzo. If anyone wants to enhance their mind maybe they should think of switching to something that's not gonna affect their test?
    If you need to take benzo's for any medical reason, tell the people conducting the testing, and it will be taken into consideration.

But don't get yourself into trouble for a drug, it's just not worth the long term implications is it?

7. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Good point Sparkles, there are TONS of drugs out there that aren't tested for at all.

8. dragon6102

dragon6102 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    This test isn't for clonazepam, it is only for benzos. Please reply

9. missparkles

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.

No one can definitively say. However, Sparkles spoke to her pharmacist about this, and he says if only one pill was taken, and the user hadn't been taking clonazepam regularly beforehand, it may be undetectable. But he also said this depends on the sensitivity of the test. Further than that no one can say.

Now that SWIY has this info, Sparkles would suggest that if she has to undergo regular urine screening, that she avoids benzo use for at least 2 weeks beforehand. Hope SWIY gets the result they need?

10. Pieces Mended

Pieces Mended Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from California, U.S.A.
    Who told you the test was for benzos? If it was just listed as one of the things possibly being tested for (along with opiates and amphetamines, like most job apps) you might be ok. If they are testing specifically for benzos, I can bet they found a way to test for one of the four most common in the US.

11. dragon6102

dragon6102 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    The test is a standard ELISA for benzos. If positive, it will have GC/MS confirmation. SWIM has taken one klonopin before and passed this test one week later, but is very nervous. SWIM really thought it wouldn't show up, and was told this by several people, but now is completely freaking out. Thank you for all your help.

12. missparkles

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    According to a site called Toxlab, benzo's can be detected in urine for up to 3 days, but again, this depends on the sensitivity of the test used, how long the person has been using benzo's, and the dose taken. They do stipulate that these are only "approximate" detection times.

13. Pieces Mended

Reputation Points:
    Sparkles,

I think that must be an average. The metabolites in Valium have a half-life of 100 hours. If you were a semi-regular user, I can only imagine you'd be nailed on the test no matter what you did. But, most abusers take Xanax or Ativan, which make 3 days seem reasonable...

14. dragon6102

dragon6102 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Valium will indeed show up as positive for two to three weeks after last use, SWIM can say this from experience. Not so sure about clonazepam, that is why I was asking.

15. Pieces Mended

Reputation Points:
    Well, the half-life of clonazepam is 18-50 hours, with diazepam at 20-100. To compare, Alprazolam is 6-12. So.... I could guess (from that little info) that clonazepam is not one of the drugs you'd want to hope has washed out of your system. But someone may know more than me.

16. dragon6102

dragon6102 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I found the following link on the internet.... it seems the metabolite for clonazepam is all that can be detected, so would this metabolite then be what triggers the positive benzo screen on initial testing?

http://www.springerlink.com/content/tgtnlvu7ff76m75l/

17. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

Read carefully:
    "A highly sensitive NCI–GC–MS method for the simultaneous quantitation of CLO and its major metabolite 7-ACLO in urine was developed and validated."

I've already stated this in this very thread. Clonazepam can be detected by immunoassay screens. It will trigger a positive for benzodiazepines on an immunoassay screen. It can also be quantified by GC/MS. The same goes for it's metabolite, 7-aminoclonazepam. I've seen and worked with the machines that do these tests. I've seen the chromatograms. I've written the drug detection reports stating that some specific quantity of the drug was found.

18. dragon6102

dragon6102 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    SWIM passed a home test for benzos less than one week after use of clonazepam, so personally found that it was not detectable on a routine benzo screen, fyi, for future reference.

19. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    The detection time for clonazepam is 3-8 days. The longer time probably being for heavy, chronic use. So it makes sense that the screen was negative after a week.

20. kevsatim

kevsatim Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    if its any use swim took about 80mg of valium over the course of the weekend and swim doesnt usually take it was a one off

and swim tested positive for benzos for exactly 3 weeks before he passed his home drug urine test kits

also swims friend regularley takes clonazapam evry day and he got a clean test and passed his home drug test after 6 days

valium or diazapam is definetly the worst benzo to take due to its long half life and takes forever to leave ur system

swim understands no matter wat benzo u take it can and will show up on standard urine tests

kevsatim added 3 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

also swim took some Alprazolam for a few days and had a clean test after 3 days
    so that should be the benzo of choice for anyone that has to do regular urine tests lol well in swims opinion

kevsatim added 6 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

u will be fine you will pass with flyin colours especially if u only took 1 klonopin

swims friend loves it and takes klonopin very often but stops 3 days before his urine test and has never had a problem just stay clear of valium if u have up comin test as takin 10mg will be detectable for about 15 days in swims experiance

hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010