Culture - Coca yes, Cocaine No?

Discussion in 'Coca' started by Lunar Loops, May 9, 2006.

1. Lunar Loops

Lunar Loops Driftwood Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    The following is an extract from a 20 page PDF document (to be found here http://www.tni.org/reports/drugs/debate13.pdf). It makes for very interesting reading and the rest of their website looks quite interesting too, although I have not had a good chance to study it properly yet. Does anyone else on here know anything about Transnational Institute (TNI)?

Anyway, the extract is as follows:

"Time has come to repair an historical error responsible for including the leaf amongst the most hazardous classified substances, having caused severe consequences for the Andean region. This issue of Drugs and Conflict explains the motives, context and range of this petition, as well as the procedures that need to be followed to reach this objective"

Follow the link above for the full discussion paper.

2. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    don't know this institute, but people have been fighting for the coca leaf for quite some years now "coca isn't cocaine" which the E. Morales election recently brought to greater public attention has been around for quite some time. I remember posting some documents on the subject of coca and cocaine in the coca section of the forum if you want to search around, and there's also the www.mamacoca.org website, which unfortunately isn't really up to date now.

b
    Coca and cocaine are really two different animals...

3. Lunar Loops

Lunar Loops Driftwood Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Well aware of the difference, the title was just from their discussion paper. It's an intersting read and up to date. Thanks for the link though, I'll take a look.