Health - Cocaine and Cardiovascular Problems : Heart Issues from Cocaine Use

Discussion in 'Cocaine & Crack' started by str8ballin, Aug 12, 2004.

1. str8ballin

str8ballin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Cocaine use has been associated with a number of cardiovascular complications, including artery blockages and heart attacks. In a recent study, NIDA-funded scientists have helped to identify the effects of cocaine use that may lead to heart problems.

They found that in cocaine abusers, elevated levels of serum C-reactive protein (CRP) — a protein associated with inflammation — were associated with endothelial abnormalities and coronary artery calcification, which are factors known to contribute to heart disease.

Fifty-three African-American adults from Baltimore, Maryland, between 25 and 45 years of age with a history of cocaine use were recruited to participate in the study. The researchers conducted a variety of tests, including an echocardiographic examination, spiral computed tomography (CT) scans to look for coronary calcification, analysis of blood for serum cholesterol and CRP, and an evaluation of endothelial function.

The researchers found that 45 percent of the participants had serum CRP levels above the normal range of the general population. Those with elevated CRP had greater endothelial abnormalities and more coronary calcification than those with normal CRP levels.

CRP may be a marker of future cardiovascular events. The findings in this study suggest that many chronic cocaine users have elevated levels of serum CRP, which are associated with subclinical coronary atherosclerosis and cardiac abnormalities. This study provides more evidence that cocaine use may contribute to the development of coronary artery disease.

1. 3/5,
      interesting subject!
      Jun 10, 2006
  2. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    These risks can be reduced, possibly eliminated. Unfortunately it seems like NOBODY THINKS ABOUT IT MUCH. I mean, get a few meds -- a calcium channel blocker type med for palpitations & high blood pressure, an anti-seizure med for possible O.D. (Klonopin's good, takes the edge off the tweak too). *NEVER* mix cola and alcohol (that's the main coronary risk factor, imo). Take a daily therapeutic multivitamin, an aspirin to thin your blood, and vitamin B-50 and C supplements. Oh yeah, and a fish oil tablet. And some antioxidants. Make sure you *EAT* too (protein, veggies, etc). Get some exercise.

Do enough harm reduction planning and you'll probably live longer doing cola than the average person does doing nothing. At minimum, you reduce your chances greatly of the kind of crap these studies find.

P.S. this post isn't directed at you in particular, Str8, just anyone/everyone who reads this thread. Live long & prosper...

1. 2/5,
      Very dangerous advice. Evidence suggests calcium channel blockers increase risk of death with cocaine!
      Jul 4, 2014
    2. 4/5,
      Good info, though try to explain the details a bit more (not every layman knows what a 'channel blocker' is f.i.)
      Nov 18, 2006
  3. Bojangles

Bojangles Newbie

Reputation Points:
    And taking a lot of herbal supplements and vitamins may damage your liver and kidney function overtime so again you're screwed!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2006
  4. singlegnyc

singlegnyc Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    All this is theoretical of course...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  5. Gahaba22

Gahaba22 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    The chemo you took, was it doxorubicin (Adriamycin). If so it can definitely give you cardiac damage. It is impossible to say whether you have damged your heart without further testing, like an echocardiogram and/or a stress echo. A simple EKG will not pick up all problems. My suggestion, based on your clinical signs would be that it's time to get off the train. I wish you good luck and good health!

geeb

6. singlegnyc

singlegnyc Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It was all a hallucination.

7. Gahaba22

Gahaba22 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    singlegnyc,

That's the approach I would use. If you are still having problems later then it's time to let your physician know.

As far as the cardiac toxicity of Adriamycin, its eefects could take palce at any time. I wish you a long remission!

geeb

8. Zach Swan

Zach Swan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from colombia
    singlegnyc,

Damn -- you just recited my personal story, almost to the letter. Strikingly similar. Except my "discomfort" showed up on the left side. Which is probably why I haven't posted for 3 or 4 weeks. Been takin' a break, but mildly fell back on the train tonight. Hopefully just for tonight. Scary. Unbelievable how this develops the same way in different people.

No solutions for you, but please be safe. I've learned over the past few weeks, a little more than I'd like, to that the girl might be a friend at times, but she can be evil too...

9. Jingleballicks

Jingleballicks Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Single, I hope you get this. I had the same problem.

You're problem is mainly panic attacks. When you do coke your heart rate increase, therefore you must breath deeper. Your body doesn't exactly compentsate (always) for the heart rate. So sometime (the chest muscles for me) would tighten.

Then I would freak out (my luck my left shoulder/chest muscle hurt the most *near the heart*) Then my heart rate would increase more, cause more panic.

Then I smoke weed and cigs. (which both increase the heart rate) Then you start freaking out more.

THen when you try to sleep, your brain is (in vain) trying to release melentonin. And your diaphram is relaxed.

The best method is to sleep on your back.

And if you notice, when you eat xanax, or calnopins, or any kind of muscle relaxer or anti-anxity. It will make you feel better. This wouldn't work if your HEART were messed up, because Calnopin relives tension.

Trust me, it's all in your head. WHen your heart speed, and you sweet, your chest hurts, just remember this man, it will help allot ("IT'S ALL IN MY HEAD, IT'S JUST MY BODY TRYING TO COPE")

note: cocaine tenses your muscles, so they will be sore.

1. 5/5,
      I agree. When it comes to taking a Benzo like Klonopin or Xanax to help with Coke or Methylphenidate induced chest pain/fullness
      May 4, 2017
    2. 4/5,
      Good tips, very sensible post. Kudo's for keeping cool amidst the panic.
      Nov 18, 2006
  10. singlegnyc

singlegnyc Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It was all a misunderstanding

11. Patrick131

Patrick131 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am 25 years old and beginning around the age of 22 I became arecreational cocaine user. My friends and I would probably consume about two grams or so a month in periodicdoses here and there before going downtown. I never had any problems and the amount that I ingested never really increased beyond a gram over a 24 hour period. In all, i've probably consumed a total of 8 grams in my lifetime from the age of 22 until now (which isn't that much i guess). However, there was a few times that I experienced distress similar to what Invictvs described in his post.

Those sysmptoms peaked one night when I had taken a bunch of Adderall. I was not taking cocaine with the adderall, but i took a lot of adderall by itself nonetheless. My heart began to palpitate and it was beating around 150 beats a minute. This went on for about 4 hours and then it subsided. Even though i think i recovered ok, i was really scared after that incident.

I have not done cocaine in aboutfive months and I no longer have a prescription to obtain adderall (nor do i want to do it anymore). However, I did crystal meth about a month ago for maybe the third time ever and those symptoms re-emerged at a great magnitude (duhh). I did about a quarter gram over a three hour period and i felt great for about twelve hours. After that, i thought that I would simply begin to slowly come down and that would be it. Instead, my heart began to pound excessively, i was having trouble breathing, and i was really worried. Then my paranoid thoughtsbrought me back to all those nights on coke and speed and i worried even more. I called my friend and he said that i was simply thinking about ittoo much and that i needed to try and relax. I was so close to going to the ER though even with him consulting with me.

Anyways, I have been sober (minus the ice binge about a month ago)of coke and speedfor about five months and i feel great. I work out a lot and Iam in goodshape. Today at the gym, I wasn'tthinking and I drank one of those super-speedy drinks they sell at the front of the place. I finished a set and stood up only to feel like i was going to stop breathing- and it wasn't a typical dizzy feeling you get when you possibly over-exert. Instead, i was scared for my life fora few seconds because I felt dizzy, disoriented, and my right ear was ringing. This lasted about 15 seconds. I couldn't breath at all.Then i went to the locker room, got my stuff, and left.

Basically the drink has a lot of caffeine and other stimulating ingredients in it. My question is should i go to the doctor and get checked out? I know my health is more important but i don't have good insurance and i am afraid that they are going to want to do a bunch of expensive tests. I can safely say that I have no desire to do ice ever again- it simply keeps me upway too long and it is too dangerous given my circumstances. I know that I can turn it down if offered and I won't have any qualms about it. Coke is another story but iwill be able toabstain because of this situation.

Is my heart simply weakend? Could i have already suffered a mild heart attack? Is part of my heart tissue damaged? Should I just steer clear of stimulants of any kind? Will this problem ever subside with abstinence? Any posts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

12. hippie_lain

hippie_lain Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You might have heart problems or it could be the anxiety that coke can sometimes give you. I find that anxiety can be a real big problem when it comes to heart problems. Pretty mech any speedy type drug can give you lots of anxiety. If you do do anything like it again remember to stay calm and relax. Benzos will help alot and so will vicoden(for some people anyway). Id deffinetly see your doctor though. Also the problem is going to get worse in most causes so I'd just stay away from any stimulent exp. meth. I have the same problem with coke and it get worse unless you take long breaks.

13. ToxicMind

ToxicMind Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I think your biggest problem might be anxiety. Speed will make your heart beata whole lot faster thancoke will, so of course when you did meth you noticed it more. Its normal for your heart to beat rapidly when on speed. Thats one of the effects, so is paranoia. So you probly thought your heart was much worse off then it actually was.

OnceI did so much(didnt mean too, really)that myheart was pounding so hard that i had to catchmy breath. I felt like the wind was knocked out me a few times and ihad to take a deep breath, my heart was pounding so hard i felt it for a long time after i stopped snorting.I alsosat in a corner shaking for hours. And this was coke not meth. So yeah i know itcan be scary when your heart starts to pound, i was worried about mine too. But after the drug has worn off your heart shouldnt still be having trouble.

Maybe you just tried to work out toohard at the gym. Ask yourself, has it been a while since you worked out? did you do more exercise than normal? were you feeling ok before the gym(well rested, not hungry, ect)? i don't think the drugs weakened your heart, since you arent a regualr user, but if you have trouble at the gym the next time you go then maybe you should see your doctor for a physical. he won't be able to tell you did drugs since it's been a while, so don't worry. i would just try to relax and make sure your feeling good next time you go to the gym and see what happens.

14. fletch

fletch Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    ive had this experience on coke as well, only id done way more than i should have, my heart rate was pushin 170, i found it comforting to just lay down and actually count my heart beats. i dont know why i did this, probably just from beiong coked out.

15. Patrick131

Patrick131 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thanks a lot guys! all of you made very good points and gave me things to think about. i think you guys are on to something about the anxiety aspect of it because i am a high-anxiety person to begin with. i've been clean for a little over a month and i haven't had any problems besides that one day when i drank that energydrink at the gym. i work out about five days a week and i guess as long as i stick to good old water i will be fine. i am going to make an appt. for a physical though because it is not going to hurt anything to get checked out and know for sure. thanks again!

16. DURBANS

DURBANS Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Heart or paranoia? Damn! GO SEE A DOCTOR

Hi

I already mentioned in my introductory post that I had that freightening heart thing the other day (speeding up a lot and lasting about 3 hours like that).

Now, since that day which got me so scared, I didn't snort for like a week. Then I took like 4 shots from my bullet, and again, I "felt" that my heart was racing again and this time I even got some chest pain... with only 4 snorts. Then, on saturday (4 days later), I took 4 again and again... the same shit. I mean, usually I took around 8 or 10 shots...

The problem is that today I took a little, I mean a little by saying like half a tea spoon pero nostril. Again, I started to feel worried, thinking about getting a heart attack and stuff, and even though my heart rate was kinda normal (a bit speedy tho) I started to walk slowly, being very cautious about not agitating myself and stuff. Eventually, my heart speeded up a little bit more and then it went away.

Question is: could this be some sort of paranoia? I mean, the heart rate is real, but damn! I can't have a bit of fun without worrying about my heart since that day!

Oh, and that day I'm talking about, I took around 6 snorts of the bullet, a little bit less than what I usually take, and I usually take coke on weekends or twice a week.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  17. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    the more u think about your heartrate the faster it beats. dont sweat it man. and the chest pains should be fine unless ur gettin numbness/tingling down your arms or into your hands as that can mean heart attack. im not a doc, but i really wouldn't worry unless it becomes consistent like all day everyday. stay safe

-VIKE

18. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i would advise layin off the yayo for a lil while too, which was your question i suppose. dont risk it

19. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    DURBANS,

I can appreciate your interest, but please, consult
    your physician.

This forum is the WRONG place to post questions
    for medical advice, and an off-handed
    unprofessional (and possibly dangerous) opinion is
    the best you should expect here, as this is a non-Rx
    or MD certified forum.

Please consult your physician.Edited by: Woodman

20. DURBANS

DURBANS Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Ok, I know this is not an MD forum or something, I'm just asking for general common knowledge from the people here.

Please try not to post articles, just your own opinons.

I'm interested in knowing the following:

1) How is coke absorbed into the blood and how long does it take to get you high (just in general terms)

2) Why does it increase your heart rate and what could happen with that, is it dangerous?

Thanks... it's just for common knowledge of the people here, not looking for medical exact answers.