Culture - Cocaine drink - mmmm

Discussion in 'Cocaine & Crack' started by ProteinBlast, Sep 21, 2006.

1. ProteinBlast

ProteinBlast Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM just saw this article online and thought it was highly amusing. Anyone one here seen and/or tried this concoction before?

----
    Anti-drug campaigners today attacked the makers of a soft drink who have called their product cocaine.
    The high-energy drink is being billed as a "legal alternative" to the class A drug, using a massive hit of caffeine instead of cocaine.
    Its maker claims the title is "a bit of fun" but critics slammed the technique as a cynical ploy which could tempt young people into using drugs.
    The drink's inventor, Jamie Kirby, said: "It's an energy drink, and it's a fun name. As soon as people look at the can, they smile."
    He claims Cocaine is "350 percent stronger than Red Bull" but that people do not experience the "sugar crash" or jitters that he says some of the other energy drinks can produce.
    But David Raynes, of the UK National Drug Prevention Alliance, said: "It is people exploiting drugs. It is a pretty cynical tactic exploiting illegal drugs for their own benefit."
    Las Vegas-based drinks company Redux Beverages is producing the drink which contains 280 milligrams of caffeine. According to the company's website, the only way to get more caffeine per ounce is with an espresso.
    Mr Raynes added: "The fact is that subliminally, it is making the image of drug use cool and that's what kids what to be, cool.
    "Kids will be drinking Cocaine and will inevitably link the two. The drink is relatively innocuous, but they will be linking it with cocaine use and the market, which is far from innocuous."
    Dr Charles O'Brien, a professor and vice chairman of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, said: "It's just a bad idea and has all the same downsides of too much caffeine plus a very bad name."
    The company has received inquiries about selling Cocaine in Britain and throughout Europe. At the moment it is being sold only in the Los Angeles and New York metropolitan areas - mainly to teenagers.
    ---

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2007
  2. N0ly

N0ly Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    "The fact is that subliminally, it is making the image of drug use cool and that's what kids what to be, cool.
    "Kids will be drinking Cocaine and will inevitably link the two. The drink is relatively innocuous, but they will be linking it with cocaine use and the market, which is far from innocuous."

can anyone make sense of that? so basicaly there saying if kids drink this energy drink which is named cocaine that the kids will think "oh i like this drink i think ill do drugs now". am i the only one that thinks this is stupid bullshit.

3. KomodoMK

KomodoMK Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Personally I do think it is a bad idea. Peoples minds are susceptible to this kind of thing. Advertising works on the same principal. While some people can see through these ploys others can not and most likely will link the two.

4. ProteinBlast

ProteinBlast Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It's funny because on their website, drink cocaine dot com, they have a tab called DEALERS, and they sell units called "8 ball" units. Hmmm....

5. N0ly

N0ly Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    its all part of their advertising gimik. while i personaly cant see how it would lead to drug use i also think it was a bad idea. just because there are going to be enough ppl that are strongly against it to make it hard as hell to even compete with the other energy drinks

6. crazyorhigh

crazyorhigh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i think its just gay

7. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    "gay" is homosexual, or inhibited/frolicking abandon.

SWIJ does NOT approve of it's current use as a synonym for crap/lame

8. Danc9552003

Danc9552003 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    My sister is the same way, but when I say 'gay' I mean something sucks, not the drink is 'homosexual'... and I'm not trying to be funny, I'm just saying if everybody says 'that sucks' a lot of the time people wouldn't say 'that's a homosexual slur' ya know?

9. crazyorhigh

crazyorhigh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    lol um what, relax man you go on the offensive all the sudden im just givin it a new meaning, happens for lots of things, cigarettes for instance

10. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    You're banned. That's really gay! (underage)

11. tyrantfour

tyrantfour Newbie

Reputation Points:
    if trace amounts of coke were still in coca cola it would set a presedent, thus leading gullable kids to see that coke is mainstream and is ok. there is deffinitely gonna be an association thing. without a doubt.

12. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Politicians Say Soft Drink Name Glamorizes Drugs

By SEWELL CHAN
    Published: October 2, 2006

Outraged New York City lawmakers denounced today the manufacturer of a new, highly caffeinated soft drink called Cocaine and called for a boycott of the beverage, saying it glamorized an illegal and deadly narcotic that has ravaged urban neighborhoods since the epidemic of the 1980’s.
    “There are only two reasons that you would seek to use this infamous and insidious name to market your so-called energy drink,” said Councilman James Sanders Jr. of Queens, who organized a news conference at City Hall. “Either you are woefully ignorant of the horrors of cocaine addiction, or your god is the dollar bill and not even human life is more sacred.”
    The beverage has attracted considerable publicity, most of it negative, since its introduction last month in Southern California. The company’s Web site lists five retailers that sell the beverage — all of them in or around New York City. It is also available in Los Angeles and San Diego.
    While the Web site states that “we don’t advocate drug use,” it suggests that the carbonated beverage should be mixed with alcohol — offering recipes for cocktails with names like Liquid Cocaine, Cocaine Smash, Cocaine Blast and even Cocaine Snort. The site touts the beverage’s page on MySpace, a heavily trafficked social-networking site that is popular among children and teenagers.
    Experts in drug use and nutrition condemned the beverage.
    Joseph A. Califano Jr., chairman and president of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, used five adjectives — insidious, disgraceful, irresponsible, reprehensible and disgusting — to describe the soft drink.
    In a statement, Mr. Califano, who was secretary of health, education and welfare in the Carter administration, said it was “clearly aimed at children and teen ‘partygoers.’ ”
    The beverage is a competitor with what manufacturers have termed energy drinks, like Red Bull. The Cocaine Web site says the beverage, sold in 8.4-ounce cans, has three times more caffeine per ounce than Red Bull and similar beverages like Rockstar Juiced, Full Throttle, Monster Energy and Bawls.
    “This is a salted, heavily caffeinated, sugary drink with extra calories that nobody needs,” said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health at New York University, after reviewing the nutritional label on the beverage. “It’s a souped-up Gatorade. This product has minimal nutritional value.”
    The manufacturer of Cocaine, Redux Beverages L.L.C., is registered in Las Vegas and located in Murrieta, Calif., with a mailing address in a nearby suburb, Valley Center. The company’s founders, James and Hannah Kirby, did not respond to phone and e-mail messages today.
    The Press-Enterprise of Riverside, Calif., quoted Mr. Kirby last month as saying, “I chose the name because I knew it would be controversial, and controversy sells.” He said the criticism was coming from “super-right-wing groups” and added, “I think kids are a lot smarter than people give them credit for.”
    But at the news conference, Mr. Sanders and three other lawmakers — all Democrats — offered withering criticism. “This is the height of irresponsibility for any company,” said Assemblyman Karim Camara of Brooklyn. Councilwoman Letitia James of Brooklyn called the beverage “a legal precursor to an illegal product,” while Councilman Larry B. Seabrook of the Bronx compared it to “imitation cigarettes, which caused generations upon generations to become smokers.”
    They called on the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Department of Consumer Affairs to investigate the safety of the beverage, but the authority to do so may be limited. Dr. Nestle said such drinks had eluded regulation by the federal Food and Drug Administration by billing themselves as dietary supplements rather than food items.
    Whether the calls for a boycott will be heeded is unclear. Rupert Jee, owner of Hello Deli in Midtown, one of the five retailers listed on Cocaine’s Web site, said, “They did, in fact, list our name without authorization.”
    But Mr. Jee said he was inclined to continue selling the beverage.

*No links to commercial sites please*

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  13. SPWIM

SPWIM Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I bought one of those "Double Decker" chocolate bars the other day, now I'm looking for a bus to eat.

14. TheMindIsADangerousThing

TheMindIsADangerousThing Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Cocaine: An Energy Drink?

QUIT THAT SNORT SPORT…NOW YOU CAN DRINK IT

A new energy drink that promises to pack a punch that's "350% stronger the Red Bull" is invading the US party scene…it's called COCAINE. The makers of the new energy drink are billing it as a "legal" substitute to the drug. The fruit tasting drink is packed with vitamin B12 and complex sugars, which they allege, create a psychological reaction. The creator also says an ingredient was added to slightly numb the throat to add an oral sensation much like cocaine does.

(Cocaine inventor Jamey Kirby, whose company is based in Las Vegas admits, "When a person sees the name of the drink, some psychological effect happens and the person is already experiencing the energy buzz before they even open the can... I can think of no other product except real cocaine that could have that effect on the public.")

The energy drink is being marketed to partygoers, and has been give mixed reviews.

SWIM wanted everyone to see this and hear what everyone thinks.

15. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    bullshit.... but that isnt a long enough phrase for a post, so ill make it longer.... fucking bullshit.

16. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    threads merged