Codeine combined with Promethazine

Discussion in 'Codeine' started by psychedelaholic, Aug 22, 2006.

1. psychedelaholic

psychedelaholic Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    I have just had his tonsils out and has been given a load of 30/500 co-codomol pills, and has just bought some Promethazine as he found it really hard to sleep last night due to the pain. I have never used any sleeping aids before and just did a quick check to see if Promethazine had any recreational value which it seems not to unless combined with codeine. Does anyone have any info on how the two combine? Does it simply potentiate the codeine and make it stronger?

Also I have dropped a couple of piperazine pills (mint wicked highs) today and was wondering if codeine is OK to combine with them? Hoping this Promethazine is good as SWIM always finds it hard to sleep after BZP.

2. acexnx316

acexnx316 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Codeine w/Promethazine can be more recreational than either Codeine or Promethazine by themselves.

The Promethazine actually gives Codeine a little extra "euphoric boost" if you will.

Promethazine alone, however, isn't really used recreationally all that much. If taken in large enough doses, it can KILL you. Though at higher than therapeutic doses, some people do find recreational value in Promethazine.

Promethazine is an antihistamine that is sometimes used/can be used as a sedative to help induce sleep to battle insomnia.

Any recreational effects You would experience if using Promethazine alone, would be very similar to that of Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which can include... well... just do a search for Benadryl or Diphenhydramine because I don't reccomend, nor condone use of that drug other than for therapeutic purposes, unless you want permanent brain damage. Not only that, but it would also be a waste of space and my time/typing to go over it.

Don't get me wrong though, there are some people that do like it and support it, I am just not one of them.

Hopefully I have answered your question to some extent. I'm sure there may be a few other peeps that will help out by responding as well.

But if you have any other questions about this topic, feel free to ask.

Pz.

3. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Much of the above is very sound well stated advice, heed it carefully.

If you are interested in the effectsof Promethazine read the report on Cyclizine in the link below it is very similar.

https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=179266#post179266

It must be noted that SWIF has used cyclizine and other opates before including codeine which does give a slightly differant euphoria. SWIF must admit however that it really isnt worth the effort if You is looking for a recreational experience.

Deleriants arn't fun girls and boys however they are an experience!

4. Sklander

Sklander Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from congo_democratic
    Promethazine combined with Codeine is commonly sold as "lean" or "drank". Its the "purple stuff" that Paul Wall and other Houston rappers talk about sipping and distributing...

"Sippin' the Barre", "Purple stuff up in my cup...", et cetera...

The two go great together! A few ounces of lean in an orange soda will put SWIM right where he wants to be...

5. Primacorza

Primacorza Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    http://opioids.com/opiates/index.html

Lookit "Promethazine"

SWIM reads reports that promethazine is used for nausea and itching with opiates; 25mg usually being the most active dose (but occasionally up to 100mg). Anything else is up to .

6. Tortoise

Tortoise Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Swim prefers uses dimenhydrinate with his codeine rather than promethazine. Both antishistamines, so they both do similar things but the hangover with prometh is a bitch. It makes me feel so very, very sleepy the next day.

7. Primacorza

Primacorza Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    To be fair, promethazine has about 40% the oral lethal dose of benadryl, it's pretty hard to kill yourself on either of them. The main concern is sleep apnea in children under 2, but nobody should be giving children that small random meds anyway.

Also, SWIM reports that the recreational side effects are very different; large doses of benadryl (250 mg as swim seems to be hard to effect by it) cause the antsing hallucinations (as well as mocking reflects occassionally) as well as usually a paradoxical insomnia and complete disorientation. This is due to the anticholinergic actions.

The OD profile of Promethazine seem more relevant to it's antiadrenergic effects (eg it produces hypotension while benadryl will produce hypertension), and I say that at a 250mg dose it will produce no hallucinations, just massive sedation and somnolescence. After falling asleep, I say you will stay asleep the whole time.

I say it could be relaxing if someone absolutely can't find a better sleep med, but no, there's really no euphoria and it's not by itself any more recreational than thorazine and benadryl.

8. Primacorza

Primacorza Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I forgot to mention: SWIM also claims that Promethazine is bad for the liver and heart over the long term (most antihistamines are bad for the heart in high doses)

9. theta

theta Newbie

Reputation Points:
  10. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    I have learned anti histamines are grand for potentatin opiates.Promethazine by itself is useless.I remember a few days of withdrawal/insomina and all he had recently gotten the Dr. to give him some lorazepam(ativan)and promethazine.The ativan got used up quickly and all he had was the promethazine left.Well it proved to be basically useless.