Codeine extraction without water

Discussion in 'Codeine' started by Prof.Gonzo, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Prof.Gonzo

Prof.Gonzo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    54 y/o
    I wondered, if its possible to do a coldwater extraction "without" water?

Meaning: Is there a solvent (which you can obtain easily) which solutes codeine but no acetamophin or asprin?

I read that codeine doesn't like heat, so boiling of the water after filtration would probably be a bad idea. A volatile solvent could give you pretty easy the pure brown (?) powder. Thus giving you the exact yield, and if it's too poor you can extract again.

If you have your powder then, where to keep - bevcause of light etc.

And are there any differences between the codeine salts (sulphat, phosphat)?

2. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I think one could just do a cwe, and then evaporate it in a evaporation dish with a fan... that sounds easy. I has often wonder if there was a solvent like You discribed.

3. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    There are many solvents to seperate Codeine from acetamophin or asprin but they're really not nessasary. CWE is effective enough and if one wanted to obtain a power as already stated evapourate the liquid and scrape up the powder.

4. Prof.Gonzo

Prof.Gonzo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    54 y/o
    But does SWIM have to evaporate the water at room temperature to not destroy the codeine? Or can SWIM but in on a dish in the baking ofen set to 100°C?

The tablets I have contain codeine phosphate, does that make any difference?

Still, something like IPA would be a lot faster ;-)

5. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    You can heat the water, as long as its not at 100 degrees C. from what I has read, boiling the water could damage the end product, but merely heating it shouldnt change the codeine in any way.

codeine phosphate should work just as well as codeine sulphate. the CWE has worked on both, for swim.