Codeine hitting hard than Hydocodone?

Discussion in 'Codeine' started by ironmics, Jan 26, 2007.

1. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    I have been taking Hydrocodone and Codeine for back problems for several months now and have noticed that the codeine hits my system so much harder with the usual opiate effects. I was wondering if this is a bad sign? I've read that codeine traditionally does not cause a high level of euphoria and hydrocodone does, but doses as little 16mg of codeine as causing much more pronounced effects than 15mg of hydrocodone. I have had legal prescriptions for these amounts the entire time, and I am only taking the codeine since the itchiness of hydrocodone was not outweighed by any analgesic qualities. I guess my question is: is this a sign of danger? or am I just lucky that codeine can cause these effects?

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    It's probably not a sign of danger since swiYou are taking the drugs in the reccomended amounts. Hydrocodone and codeine are metabolized differently in the liver, codeine actually has to be converted into morphine in order for You to feel anything, and codeine is absorbed fairly well from the stomach. Perhaps due to some slight enzymatic differences, codeine just absorbs better than hydrocodone from the stomach, or you's body is more effective at converting codeine to morphine, or is slower to break down the morphine than it is the hydrocodone.

Plus, people often prefer or get more analgesic or pleasurable effects from either the more "natural" opioids (like codeine) or the semi-synthetic and synthetic opioids, like hydrocodone. So the difference could be cognitive or how the opioid receptors in yous nervous system respond to the slightly different drugs.

But it doesnt sound like a danger at all, just a biological difference.

3. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    Thank you, I just wanted to make sure he wasn't going to be doing anything really stupid if he upped the dosage. I have pretty decent experience with poppy tea and morphine, but nothing has ever felt this "good". I'll tell swim to be careful though.

4. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
  5. Tortoise

Tortoise Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Lucky guy! You must just be a fantastic codeine metaboliser. This is not a bad thing at all just make sure that You is careful not to overdo it. What may be a very safe level for one person may be dangerous for another. If You is gonna up the dosage make sure he/she does is in increments. Play safe.

6. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Yes, like tortoise says, if You is extremely sensitive to opiates, increase the dosage very carefully, maybe even 2-4 mg at a time if You is getting euphoria from 16 mg codeine (which is a very small amount, really).

7. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Less can be more with opiates. Sometimes I find himself overshooting the mark and finding himself either nodding, or paradoxically almost sober, whereas a lower dose of opiates would have put him right where he wanted to be!

Actually, sterling, I got himself in the exact same situation yesterday. Hard nod, very little euphoria.

8. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    I have noticed this a couple of times, this is the first time he's had anyone echo the same thoughts though. Before he was trying to make himself think he was imagining it, from now on he'll pay more attention to what happens at different dosages. He always thought the "more is better" mentality applied completely to opiates.

9. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    "More is better" probably applies to most people, SWIM responds a bit differently to alot of drugs (e.g. he falls asleep on ecstasy) but I want to test the "less is more" theory out across more people, since he's heard a couple others say something similar, that at the highest doses they don't really enjoy it as much.

10. amines2anend

amines2anend Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Okay ? Then Why is it that Oxycodone works better than or is stronger than hydrocodone? What is it about the oxy molecule that makes it work better in the human body than the hydrogen molecule? Just a common ? around amines2anends parts. Thanks for any generally enlightening responses.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  11. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Here goes, from one SWIM to another...

The difference with semi-synthetic and synthetic opiates and natural ones (oxy/hydrocodone vs. codeine) is that the semi-synthetic and synthetic opiates don't need to be activated into another drug to function properly, at least one natural opiate (codeine, here) does. Perhaps the people in question convert codeine to morphine more efficiently than they deliver oxy/hydrocodone to the brain and get rid of it. Personal differences, but 1 or 2 anecdotal cases doesnt throw off the general rule of oxycodone/hydrocodone working better for MOST (not all!).