codeine potentiation question

Discussion in 'Codeine' started by youngkilo, Sep 4, 2006.

1. youngkilo

youngkilo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    hey wasup yall. I would like to know what is the substance you can take with codiene to make more of it's % change to morphine in you. peace yall

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    to swim's knowledge, no such compound exists. the grapefruit juice trick does not work with codeine since the inhibited enzyme helps convert codeine to morphine, so grapefruit juice actually decreases the potency of codeine. antacids could help speed the absorption in the body, but I dont know what would help convert more codeine to morphine. if anyone knows something that might work, please post it here.

3. ningbar

ningbar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    in my experience there are 2 compounds which potentiate codeine to some extent; both prescribed for swims real medical conditions

quinine sulphate - in this case prescribed for leg cramps, around 400mg taken an hour before the codeine works well - some people like to drink cwe-ed codeine extract with tonic water for the same effect but obviously the prescription strength tabs beat drinking a gallon of tonic

cyclosporin - this also works well, but you really dont want to take this stuff - I take it in its theraputic dose for a real medical condition and it potentiates the codeine further

but its really horrid stuff

so id say codeine is the way to go

dont know how easy it is to get without a presciption in your part of the world

of course it would be a disgraceful thing for You to do to ask their doc for something for night-time leg cramps

cheers
    Ningbar

4. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Try a low dose of DXM and maybe some tums. I know for a fact that the DXM will potentiate the codiene greatly. And as far as SWIM can remember the tums will help oral codiene as well.

5. Darksanity

Darksanity Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Smoke some weed when the codeine hits you, it's way more euphoric!!

6. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    keep in mind all these things potentiate codeine via different mechanisms than "turning more of it to morphine". dxm and quinine just increase the amount of time available morphine is in the system after its converted from codeine, and weed would create a synergistic effect. not all people enjoy the feeling of weed with codeine, however. so it may not work for the lab rat in question, although all of these options are worth trying.

7. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Assuming You is refering to oral codeine? I have always found it best to use on an empty gut.

8. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Potention will work on opiates ingested via any route, except for normal antacids (except tagamet) which actually do increase absorption in the stomach. The other methods listed operate via liver or synaptic mechanisms, including tagamet, and will be fine no matter how the opiate is ingested.

9. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    You sugested that antacids may help. Any thoughts on Omeprozole?

Thanks.

10. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Omeprozole is a proton pump inhibitor, a little different than OTC antacids, but if its net effect is to lower stomach acidity, then it should be able to slightly aid in aborption through the stomach of orally administered opiates.

11. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    Probably not a great idea but I had a couple beers and had a touch of codeine to relieve some coughing, and it was completely different than any codeine experience he had tried. So perhaps alcohol or alcohol dehydrogenase can strip off that pesky little methyl group. I was completely sober from the alcohol by the time something else hit. He was really confused considering how low the doses of each were.

12. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Mixing Alcohol with opiates is dangerous but for swim alcohol blocks any opiate "happy" feelings. Ok if you want to nod I suppose.

13. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    If You is coughing, beer probably isn't the best idea since alcohol lowers one's immune system capabilities, not to mention that it is dangerous to mix codeine and alcohol (particularly since You seems extra sensitive to it), but more so because alcohol and APAP from the codeine pills is extremely bad for one's liver.

Alcohol/ADH probably dont affect the codeine directly or remove the methyl group, codeine is metabolized by one of the cytochrome p450 enzymes into morphine, so this is a process independent of alcohol and its metabolism. Alcohol and opiates combined definitely give a different effect than opiates alone, I find, so theres probably just some potentiation going on there. You seems to be very sensitive to low doses of codeine, so SWIM must really caution you about mixing codeine with other drugs, it could potentially get dangerous much more quickly than for other people.

14. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    Yea I understand not to mix alcohol with opiates, he was very sober by the time he took the codeine. The alcohol was actually wine and drank probably 3 hours prior with dinner. I just measure alcohol intake in number of beers(habit). This is why I thought that ADH or something resulting from ADH could have helped in the demethylation or some other process. Could maybe the increased activities of ADH be converting codeine into oxycodone? I know though bad swim for drinking while sick :( sorry for the relative noobiness sounding here. I have never taken codeine until very recently(doctor's love to throw him on to vicodin, but now he will definitely request codeine for any future pain.) Thank you very much about the enzyme info though, I was looking for it. Also sorry for kinda advocating alcohol use with opiates.

15. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    SWIM ordinarily wouldnt be too worried about a couple beers with codeine, but due to its increased effect with you, thats more why it became a concern. Plus the potential liver damage from the APAP, but in such low amounts, I am sure that your lab rat will be fine tomorrow. You didnt seem to do anything too out of hand or crazy though, apologies for that earlier post, I didn't mean to come off so harsh.

Alcohol dehydrogenase is responsible only for oxidizing alcohols, to SWIM's knowledge. It probably does not have the ability to affect an opiate, or at least not affect an opiate by demethylating anything, enzymes have pretty specific and unique actions that they perform. So, ADH should probably not affect codeine whatsoever...and while codeine is metabolized into a couple different drugs in the liver (mainly morphine), oxycodone is not one of them.

The question didn't even seem very noob-like, honestly! Theres nothing noob about wondering what one's liver might be doing, SWIM just doesnt think that the alcohol would affect the experience at the level of the liver, probably just in the brain there could be some potentiation or an additive effect.

16. silver

silver Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM guesses he is a beast, since his favorite combo is hydrocodone + 4-6 beers.

He doesn't really like drinking (at least not every day or every other day) So he guesses his liver should be alright, since his drug use is pretty low.

He likes to take 20hc/700apap and drink some beers. He loves it.

17. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    @ OP: Read around the forums before posting, dude.

I'm afraid we're all gonna have to face it: there (probably) is no substance that does what you're looking for.

I have recommended a few things on here in the past. You're welcome to try them, but I have recently re-assessed my recipes etc and foudn them to be total crap.