1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Codeine without extraction from pills containing only Ibuprofen and Codeine

Discussion in 'Codeine' started by Akewstick, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Jun 30, 2006
    from U.K.
    On the subject of Ibuprofen, Wikipedia says that "Toxic effects are unlikely at doses below 100 mg/kg but can be severe above 400 mg/kg".

So if there are 200mg of ibuprofen and 12.8mg of codeine sulphate in each pill, taking 16 pills would mean 204.8mg of codeine and 3200 mg of ibuprofen, which if you weigh 150lbs (60kg) is 53mg/kg of ibuprofen.

This is only a theory, the question is: is a shit one?
  2. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Dec 12, 2006
    from U.K.
    If you trust Wikipedia with your life (and value your life fairly low) then you may be safe.

On the other hand, if you'd like to ensure the safety and comfort of your organs and their friends, then you'd forget you ever asked this and never even consider such a ridiculously careless thing....

I'll leave it up to you :p
  3. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Dec 8, 2003
    swims only 23 and wishes so bad he treated his liver better,at least once a day his liver hurts him,wehter this is from alcohol/drugs/or lots of ibprofin to kill the pain from the stupid things he did while on alcohol noone may ever know...why not just extract the codine?its not hard at all and all you need is water!while i dont think it would be that bad for you it would be far from good or healtyh that being such i cant recomend it.
  4. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Jan 28, 2007
    Large doses of ibuprofen are bad for the kidneys amongst other things. I believe also the heart (which is a side effect shared with other COX inhibitors) although this is a longer term issue.

Nurofen Plus may be particularly troublesome to filter but its not worth the nephrotoxity and definately not worth the liver toxity for paracetamol preparations. Its a sneaky one because the acute effects of taking Nurofen Plus in large doses (12 or so) tablets may seem ok, even after a number of days but that doesn't mean its not causing serious problems one is unaware of. Read the information on CWEs and put a little effort into planning it and a lot of problems may be prevented later.

Doctors are usually quite happy to prescribe codeine or dihydrocodeine for minor ailments just go to the doctor and having carefully planned all your answers as to why he/she can only prescribe codeine or better still dihydrocodeine. Don't ask for it directly just make up a reason why you need it and reasons why you cant have all the other options and let them get to the answer of "well maybe we should try codeine". Think about it - its cheaper for the NHS to pay for a few codeine pills than pay for treatment of kidney or liver problems later on in life.

YES for oneself and especially in terms of harm minimisation for everyone reading this thread.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  5. Henfer

Henfer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Jan 8, 2007
    41 y/o
    I will give you an experience he had:
    one time, I had severe tooth pain and had a package of 50 400mg Ibuprofen's at home, and took two of them. as the pain hadn't gone, I took more and more till he was at a 4000 mg dose on one day, and I am pretty tall and built heavy.

so, swim can tell you, he was feeling really SICK... and he did this over the course of 3-4 days, till he got metamizol and codeine....which really helped. btw. the tooth pain came from the wisdom tooth and I had to work a lot and do his tests on the college, so he couldn't get them out and be sick at home for several days...

I was sick, more sick than he had been most of his life, and since then, even a 100mg tab of ibuprofen makes him... literally throw up for hours.

trust swim and filter it out, ibuprofen can get nasty as hell in high dosages.