Combinations - Coke and Prozac: Safe to mix?

Discussion in 'Cocaine & Crack' started by DURBANS, May 27, 2005.

1. DURBANS

DURBANS Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi

So I finally went to see a shrink about these panic attacks and overall obsesive behaviour about my heart and stuff. After a couple sessions we found out I've suffered from what is known as OCD (Obsessive/Compulsive Dissorder) ever sinceI was a kid.

So that explains much of the fear and panic and obsessive behaviour right? Hehehe

Now, I'm going to start taking Prozac pills.

I wanna know if coke is known to cause any harm with Prozac or is it ok?

ThanksEdited by: DURBANS

2. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Should be OK, but watch cola intake carefully at first... you may find less of it producing the same effect, maybe a lot less. Do a small line & pay close attention to your body, then a regular one, and etc...Edited by: Nicaine

3. joevette

joevette Newbie

Reputation Points:
    So, could you take prozac just so you could use less blow with the same effects? Could you just take one the same day or would you have to take it continuosly to let it build up and take effects?

4. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Prozac blocks the reuptake of only one neurotransmitter, serotonin (mood, sleep). Cola blocks the reuptake of three... serotonin, norepinephrine (energy) and dopamine (sex drive, pleasure, muscle movement, mood).

So the end result is unknown, it depends too much on the dosage of both the Prozac and cola. Proceeding with caution and learning from direct experience should clear this issue up for you personally... for someone else it may be different.

In theory, cola + prozac could result in something called serotonin syndrome, which is very unpleasant at best and dangerous at worst. Thus, proceed with extreme caution. Seems unlikely with low doses of Prozac, but at higher dosages the risk would increase.Edited by: Nicaine

5. Blaze06

Blaze06 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've been on a few anti-psychotics (Risperdal and Lamictal) and
    anti-depressants (Zoloft and Effexor XR) and I have always been fine
    when using in combinations with coca.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i began taking lexapro about 2 months ago, hoping that it would help my depression from cocaine withdrawl and other things. I had gone a couple of months without yay and then did it the other night, it was one of the worst experiances ever. I was sad, angry, and very disoriented, and i am usually very social, happy and i always know what is going on when i do coke. I would not recommend doing it, i know that i will never do it again while taking an antidepressant

7. sayhello

sayhello Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Prozac & Cocaine

SWIM Has been on prozac for two weeks, and he's getting pretty nice score of cocaine.

SWIM Would like to get snorted up, just wandering what is the effects with prozac? Is there any negatives? Any info mixing up cocaine with prozac would be helpfull.

SWIM Thanks you all!

8. BoxStar

BoxStar Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Re: Prozac & Cocaine

I have never tried such combination (for SWIM antidepressants are the most “depressant” substances he has ever tried with the possible exception of bupropion, I was once prescribed escitalopram to “alleviate” stimulant withdrawal and it made the it ten times worse).

Prozac (Fluoxetine) is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor which is also one of main effects of cocaine; I have read a paper (by the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Canada) which says that fluoxetine actually prolongs the effects of cocaine by slowing its metabolism and enhances the locomotor stimulant effect of cocaine.

However combining serotoninergic substance always carries a risk of causing serotonin syndrome which maybe potentially life-threatening (although the severe and/or deadly cases usually happen when mixing monoamine oxidase inhibitors with a powerful serotoninergic substance) there is no way to tell how multiple substances will affect a particular individual, SWIM more than once injected cocaine dissolved in tramadol ampoules (large doses of courses) and some times had a lot of the symptoms of moderate serotonin syndrome; mental confusion, hallucinations, hyperthermia, muscle twitching, tremor and severe nausea, using either substance alone even in greater quantities never caused anything similar.

Being careful, starting with very low doses and so on when mixing substances that have known risks when combined is necessary for survival and You must know and assume the risks.

9. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    threads merged.
    please respect this forum, and use the forum search engine / browse the forum via the hand sorted thread prefix system before opening a new thread on a subject.
    chances are high that a question has already been asked/ discussed since 2005, and people are expected to read up before posting.

thanks

10. sayhello

sayhello Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Thanks Benga, for merging these threads.
    If you guys don't mind I'm bumping this thread, want to see if there any opinions of other people..
    Cheers,

11. Borracho

Borracho Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I know this is an old thread but I would really like to hear more first hand experiences combining the two.

12. Kodeen Fiend

Kodeen Fiend Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Kentucky, U.S.A.
    whats up, need swiys to share more experiences, I am thinking about giving this combination a go.

13. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I was on prozac for years and used cocaine numerous times with no (unexpected) ill effects. It seemed no different from his use while not on Prozac. Cocaine was used by snorting, smoking (crack), and shooting (powder and crack).

I don't know if there is any danger in this combo, I am simply sharing swim's experience.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  14. Kodeen Fiend

Kodeen Fiend Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Kentucky, U.S.A.
    swim appreciate that, anymore experiences peeps? I am about to go to court ordered rehab so is now leaning towards not trying this.

15. imyourlittlebare

imyourlittlebare Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    More risk of brain damage because of the interactions. Plus increased risk of cardiovascular issues, decrease in seizure threshold, serotonin syndrome, neurotoxicity. A lot of negatives since those really havent been mentioned on this thread but im sure there elsewhere.

16. Kodeen Fiend

Kodeen Fiend Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Kentucky, U.S.A.
    ^ a lot of negatives indeed....its like playing with fire, I am not going to do it.

17. Wanderer

Wanderer Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    With all due respect SWIKodeen Fiend. SWIM's noticed posts made all over the forums regarding one combination or another, taking this or that, in combination with something else, and has even read in one post where You is wearing an alcohol detection device due to some probationary issues. Continuing to pursue these sorts of activity in you's situation seems rather foolish, indeed.

Now that that's out of the way, let's clear up a few things, especially WRT to drug classifications...

SWIM's hamster posted some information regarding interaction of cocaine with citalopram with the original post being here:

Re: citalopram (SSRI drug) and cocaine

A portion of the information in that post probably bears repeating here because fluoxetine (Prozac) and citalopram (Celexa) are very closely related and are both in the SSRI class.

Please note, cocaine is not an SSRI and does not act on serotonin, also cocaine is not an MAOI.

UPDATE: It does appear from some research papers that cocaine is indeed a weak SRI, and has affinity to binding to 5-HT receptors.

To address the issue of serotonin syndrome, it is a condition which is not very well understood. It seems to to be the result of serotonin levels which are elevated to toxic levels in the inter-synaptic pathways. This seems to be mostly due to the lack of MAO-A which is responsible for metabolizing serotonin, most probably caused by the actions of an MAOI antidepressant or other drugs with MAOI characteristics. However, elevated levels of dopamine and norepenepherine, have not been ruled out as potential contributing factors. (MAO-A, also, to a lesser extent has an affinity for metabolizing dopamine as well.)

So, the interaction between the two and causing some serious problem is not very high.

That does not mean the two are a good combination. All the hazards of cocaine usage still remain and one can UTFSE to search for "Cocaine, Danger" and find a wealth of posts on the subject.

If one is under treatment for depression, it is probably not a good idea to be self-medicating with recreation chemicals like cocaine or even alcohol (a depressant). However, that is a decision which a responsible hamster must make. It probably won't hurt, but it probably won't make the overall condition any better either.

Be well...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    1. 4/5,
      detailed information, many thanks
      Oct 17, 2010
  18. BoxStar

BoxStar Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Cocaine is a serotonin–norepinephrine–dopamine reuptake inhibitor (SNDRI) and it has been proved that inhibits the re-uptake of serotonin and for example the increase in activation of 5-HT3 receptors it’s a possible important contributor to the effects of cocaine and probably to its addictive mechanism as Methylphenidate (Ritalin) it’s a DRI-NRI which does not act on serotonin but otherwise is nearly identical in its effects on the brain but its quite less addictive, something that also happens with Methamphetamine which does acts on serotonin (much in the same pattern as cocaine) even in low doses while Amphetamine has little or no effect except in very high doses, most people find cocaine and meth to be the most addictive stimulants and their action on serotonin appears to be a key component, there are several papers published on the subject which can be found by searching.

Cocaine and SRI combinations have resulted in many cases of serotonin syndrome and even fatalities; MDMA is even worse and MAOIs are the most dangerous combination.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  19. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Got some sources/cites for that statement?

I mean, hell, cocaine is insanely unpredictable and dangerous on it's own, but where has it caused fatalities due to serotonin syndrome? We know it's caused fatalities on it's own...

~Kailey

20. BoxStar

BoxStar Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    According to the New York Times, there were 7,349 cases of serotonin toxicity in 2002 and 93 recorded deaths. In 2005, this number increased to a total of 118 deaths from serotonin syndrome. Illicit drugs are involved in nearly a third of all cases.

I don’t have link to direct references as he researched this subject over 4 years ago and the references must be lying around in some backup DVD in a box somewhere in his house. I am not making things up nor does he have a reputation of doing so.