Combining Adderall and Methylphenidate

Discussion in 'Concerta & Ritalin' started by GForce, Dec 18, 2006.

1. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was wondering if combing amphetamines with methylphenidate is potentially dangerous or if there aren't really any adverse reactions. I'm not talking about recreational or high doses, but doses I would use for studying (typically 15-20mg Adderall IR at a time). However I find that methylphenidate does help with concentration if he isn't tired, so he thinks it could be possible to take maybe 10mg of Adderall just to get the stimulation, and then maybe a 36mg concerta to get increased focus. Would this work?

2. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Well methylphenidate is an amphetamine very simalar to dextro-amphetamine (adderal). The two used together would definatly put more strain on your heart than either one used alone. It isnt the healthiest thing to do alot, but once in a while it should be fine. Also if You has any axcess t benzos or beta-blockers, he might want to take sum to help the CNS.

3. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Methylphenidate isn't exactly an amphetamine but it is quite similar. I figured there would be increased strain on SWIM's heart, but he wants to make sure that both drugs won't interact and put him in a dangerous situation. I'm pretty sure that it won't, but I haven't been able to find information supporting either side so I just wanted to make sure.

4. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes you are right, SWIdr's bad. But yeah it could be a possibly dangerous combo, but SWIdr thinks You should be good, if You takes it in the small amounts he has stated above. The only thing tho is, if You is planning on studying towards the evening or nite, he prolly wont get any sleep while on long asting concerta. SO SWIdr suggests that You either take the meds earlier or, just use 1/3 of the concerta pill so it gets in and out of his system faster. Warning though, You may want to look more deeply into this combo because SWIdr isnt a bonafide doctor. Hope i helped!

5. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, SWIM may give it a shot tomorrow for his last final (decided to stick to Adderall for this one). The thing with Concerta is that it doesn't give him any stimulation. He has mixed results with concentration/focus (lately he has been noticing it moreso) but methylphenidate doesn't do anything to keep him awake. If he is tired when he takes concerta he usually doesn't experience the increased concentration either. In fact, he has taken 2 simultaneously before and passed out an hour and a half later in a lecture, and woke up at the end still exhausted.

6. drugsrbad

drugsrbad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    why not just take more one or the other?

7. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Because I am running low on Adderall so he is looking for ways to get more mileage out of it. His refill isn't until early January.

8. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    so on the topic of heartbeat, you know how they have the different levels of cardiovascular workout, and the you need to get your heartbeat pretty high to be benifitting alot? well that number is pretty high for early 20s male, and i almost never can get my heartbeat into that zone (too much long distance running) well anyways the other day I was working out after taking some adderall and he recorded his heartbeat at 156 bpm.....he says he can almost never get it this high either, so if you can keep it from going too high, it seems as though a fast heartbeat can give your heart a good excercise?

http://www.ifafitness.com/book1/hr-rate.gif =graph of heart rates

Tags: