Combining Marijuana and 5-HTP

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Powder_Reality, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Powder_Reality

Powder_Reality Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I haven't been able to find many reports on combining cannabis and 5-HTP. He has tried this combination a couple of times and noticed quite a different effect from smoking cannabis alone.

The first time he took 100mg of 5-HTP and one hour later smoked a single bowl of cannabis. The effects came on as usual, but a couple of minutes later the effects increased to a point that was rather unpleasant. The effects were much more psychedelic than just cannabis alone. It felt like I had smoked much more cannabis then he actually had. He was rather surprised and taken back by the strong effects and instantly fell into a panic attack. After an hour or so the effects subsided a bit and he burnt out as usual.

The second time was actually an accident. He had taken 100mg of 5-HTP at lunch because he was kind of in a bad mood and needed a boost. Later that night, approximately 6 hours later or so, he smoked some high quality honey oil (no more than usual) and experienced almost exactly the same effects as the first time.

I am interested in hearing if You has ever tried this combination and can add a report here. He has searched through Erowid, but has only been able to find a couple reports, most of which state the same effects experienced by me.

2. svenghali

svenghali Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I have also heard that either 5-htp or DMAE (perhaps both) potentiate amphetamine quite a bit. Perhaps it's like nootropics (piracetam, etc), that seem to do the same for many enethogens?

3. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Since this combination is NOT healthy for you, why do you want to hear reports from us?

Do you think that if 10 people say it's Great, that you won't have a Panic Attack next time?

Or, are you making an anti-5-HTP Thread?

Anyway, swim tried it, once, and it added a little extra Psychedelic zip.
    Piracetam is much more Fun.

4. Powder_Reality

Powder_Reality Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    First of all, SWIM doesn't see how this combination would be physically unhealthy for You (although panic attacks/bad trips can be quite unhealthy psychologically).

Second of all, SWIM never once in his entire post suggested that it was a good combination (or even a good idea) or that You should ever try it. He was merely interested in hearing back from someone who also had past experience with this combination.

Thirdly, there's more than just one kind of drug experience. Only allowing positive trip reports to be available is pretty unfair, and one-sided. We're trying to examine and study these drugs from all sides, not just one. Only hearing the information that you want to hear is a very small-minded thing to do.

Although bad trips are unpleasant and should obviously try to be avoided, the reports are very informative and help to educate on the effects of the drug, the pros/cons of taking the drug, informing You what to do if they are ever in the same situation, etc. etc.

That's extremely illogical and SWIM doesn't know why you would suspect that that's what he was trying to do.

I should point out that he suffers from OCD and anxiety, which was probably a huge factor in his negative experiences.

***And please don't post that I should just quit smoking weed and shut up if he doesn't like it. He has already made a conscious decision recently to stop smoking cannabis because it usually triggers a relapse in his OCD symptoms. This is just SWIM's experience. Nobody knows your body better than yourself, and in SWIM's case that's just what usually happens; plain and simple.

No, I was not trying to make an anti-5-HTP thread. I was simply interested to see if any members could add anything interesting and productive to this thread. As he said in his his first post, he hasn't been able to find many reports or information on this combination and was interested in learning more about it.

Thank you. That's all I was asking.

5. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    I have tried a combination of 50mg 5-HTP and cannabis. It was a long time ago so I don't recall it that clearly, but 5-HTP boosted it very nicely. It made SWIM sink into a sea of thoughts and it was a lot more positive and happy. SWIM might be trying the combination of l-tyrosine and cannabis, since it's precursor to both dopamine and norepinephrine, the main neurotransmitters cannabis has action on. But tyrosine is two steps away from dopamine, first it has to be synthesized to l-dopa, which is the rate-limiting step in the synthesis, so it might not be that effective a combination. In addition, SWIM suffers palpitations from smoking weed from time to time, so extra exitatory neurotransmitters and a thyroid hormone might make this worse.

Tags: