Comparing poppy pod tea with pills?

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by weekender2, Oct 1, 2006.

1. weekender2

weekender2 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hi Y'all-

I'm new here and wanted to thank you for your excellent, non-judgemental information and great sense of community.

I have been looking for a comparison and contrast between making and consuming a poppy-pod tea and taking an opiate in pill form - say, hydrocodone. I know that it's difficult to quantify that sort of thing but he was curious as to if there was any difference to the type of high one got...or, if opies are opies are opies.

Thanks in advance everybody!

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    poppy tea contains a variety of alkaloids, amongst which are morphine and codeine. people seem to see poppy tea as being most closely resembling those, and less like synthetic opiates like hydrocodone. some people feel that all opiates/opioids feel the same way to them, others differentiate effects and prefer one or the other. the TYPE of high will feel the same, sure, but there might be subtle differences in euphoria, body load, etc. from other opiates.

3. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have tried hydro and used poppy tea on many an occasion. In his experience the fact that poppy tea contains many alkaloids is what makes poppy tea a different experience, his experience with hydro was, not to put too fine a point on it, but more "specific" in its high. I guess having a variety of alkaloids makes poppy tea a more complex high, of course, broadly similar to all opiates but I think it has a quality all its own.

4. blinkKDX

blinkKDX Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    the tea makes me itch like crazy for some reason, and doesnt itch that bad on pills.

5. Hlucn8

Hlucn8 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm, opiates. What a wonderful, but tricky, topic of discussion. swiSevenlakes is correct; codeine, then morphine, respectively are the main constituents found in poppy straw, along with allot of other alkaloids. A fresh pod contains mainly morphine. As the poppy pod dries, the morphine begins to "degrade" into codeine, throwing off the ratio and tipping the scale toward codeine. There is still enough morphine to be felt in a tea prep, and certainly enough to be dangerous if not respected.
    In comparison to Hydro? My first love is hydro. He honestly prefers it to Morphine, Oxy, hydromorphone,... etc. he never tried H, but thinks that all in all, hydro would still come out on top. The differences can be very subtle, but his general feeling is that hydro gives a superior euphoria w/o all the sedation some of the more potent opiates. Poppy straw gives the pleasant sleepy-time tea feeling of morphine, coupled with some of codeine's more annoying qualities, but still a worthy endeavor. I would not choose the tea from straw over most any pharmacologically prepared opiate higher up the scale than codeine, however.
    It must be said, with any discussion regarding this most precious flower, that it MUST be respected. Opiates are a wonderful lover, but a horrible master.

6. blinkKDX

blinkKDX Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    thats a good quote.

7. rodent

rodent Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM always preferred oxycodone to hydrocodone... just seemed like much more euphoria to him.

As others have said, poppy tea is different. Hard to describe but one major difference is that the tea seems to give a long lasting high. Lasts most of the day for SWIM. Probably safer to consume than the pharms but that doesn't make it less addicting... still use caution.

8. blinkKDX

blinkKDX Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    I had a experiece with pods a few weeks ago that can go right along with You saying they last long.

a few weeks ago I took, he believes, 3 pods worth. the effects were nice and the usual sick stomach set in. he decided to go to bed, but in the middle of the night he woke up a bit shooken. his breathing was a bit slow. he decided he just needed to move over a bit or something and as soon as he tried to move he got this huge wave of numbness and good feeling that went through his body. he was not very terid, and was unable to sleep for most of the night.

anyways, swim wanted to post that becuase he wanted to make sure everyone knows the effects dont just come and pass like the feeling off a couple of vicks would.

9. weekender2

weekender2 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks one and all. Just got some pods from can't-say-where online and will report my findings to the group assembled.

Pax,
    Weekender

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2006
  10. nera

nera Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from U.S.A.
    It should be noted that opiates are like wine, say a Red type, there are big diifferencs to the trained palette, but you everyday person might not be able to pick them up. It is all about taste and quality. You average person will prob say that they are all alike, but your user will always have their preference, and be able to pick up and the subtle differences.

-Nera

11. CorvinusX

CorvinusX Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    Several months ago SWIM suffered a grevious laceration on the hand during a fight at the 'W' in New York City. Though it requried several stitches, the doctor did not prescribe painkillers. The injured party took the situation into his own (seeping/inflamed) hands and trekked to a midtown florist shop run by Chinese immigrants, and purchased a bag of 14 or 15 midsized (1.5"/2" dia.) dried poppy heads.

Returning home, he prepared four heads into a tea and drank it. Every few hours he prepared four or so more into a tea (re-steeping each batch at least once) until all the heads had been consumed.

At this point, maybe T+6h, he is flying. The high is droopy and lethargic, and all mental and physical activity could only be described as languid and lucid. Like a slow-flowing, warm and clear stream. Pain had apparently completely receded; the only physical sensations are cottony numbness and an easily-ignorable but deep and unabating itching.

At some point, the high becomes unmanageable. There are certain times when a drug user feels so physically good that he is nasueated. This sensation was strong. Everything became cloudy and distant. Movement was discoordinated and apathetic. The user felt completely "drugged." He couldn't pee, even after liters of liquid. This was highly disconcerting.

Next morning came (without sleep) and he was wracked with a vague malaise and an INTENSE itching. He couldn't sleep, was worried that he wasn't coming down. Couldn't piece together thoughts. Felt syrupy. At 5:30 AM he had to call a friend who lived nearby to bring over anti-histamines and anything to help sleep; his voice was unmodulated and clearly distressed.

Instead of Benadryl, the friend brought over 100 Vicodin (medium strength); he thought it was pain keeping SWIM up. I took one, which mollified the itching while he waited patiently until the pharmacy opened (7AM). He bought Cortisol cream, Loratadine and Benadryl. All three were consumed in mass quantities until all itching subsided maybe 18 hours later.

The poppy tea experience was clearly too strong, broadly overpowering in a way that an experienced user of codeine and hydrocodone did not expect. Over the next two weeks I had the privilege of eating the 100 Vicodin, up to eight a day. The high was much more specialized/clinical. It affected pain but was not broadly hypnotic/soporific/narcotic. He never really felt "drugged," just high. The pills also didn't carry the side-effects of intense itching, nausea, and an inability to pee. (Strong) poppy tea is like pills+ something.

Combining both in lower doses produces the best altered state. The tea makes the opiate high dreamy and penetrating, while the pills help elevate the euphoria/analgesia and simultaneously reduce the side-effects of the tea (especially the itching).

After ~ 20 days of pills/tea usage SWIM decided the wound was healed enough to go straight. He experienced flu-like symptoms for maybe three days (and had had to deal with constipation throughout) but was in a position to get a lot of rest so it was manageable.

Note: The poppy heads looked really fresh when SWIM first bought them, almost greenish/purplish - though definitely dry. Over the next several months buying from the same supplier, he noticed they turned brown with black spots. They also seemed to lose potency.

12. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Hate to be pedantic & nitpicky, but this is not really the case. Rather, as opiate euphoria continues to grow stronger, so does the tendency toward negative side effects such as nausea. Certain other substances are capable of producing intense euphoria which is completely nausea-free.

Just thought that was worth pointing out, as it definitely isn't the feeling of physical pleasure somehow causing nausea.

13. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    my tolerance makes me need about 60mg of oxycodone to feel "high".... swim tried 7 poppy pods in tea after drinking about 30oz of grapefruit juice and isnt feel really much of anything, I thought... how many does SWIM need?! is it completely not worth it? the poppy pods were dried and if the morphine truly does convert to codeine as it dries then the potency using the grapefruit juice could actually decrease the effects. ...since codeine needs the enzyme inhibited by grapefruit juice to convert into morphine in the body? is that right? any suggestions for SWIM to feel HIGH on poppy tea?

14. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Titrate up. That obviously isn't enough. I don't want to say how many pods it takes him, but it is significantly more than that. I have a natural and a practiced tolerance though. Experience is the only guide.

That being said I has before taken about the same he always did with a different strain and became violently ill. It was close. That is why the need for slow increases and the need not to "jump in with both feet".

15. Opanaluv

Opanaluv Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was wondering if anyone new how to make poppy pod tea less sedative and more energizing ? kinda like the effect you get from 80mg of OC .I was thinking of using a pod higher in Thebaine alkaloid such as Tazzies, or maybe some kind of additive. Swim seems to get to Sedated even in small doses. Do any Sway suggest a different type of Pod and if so what type. I know you can not disclose vendors but is there a special forum where you can use initials

16. mr op8

mr op8 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM's opinion on this--
    The high is similar, but:

Poppy Pod Tea:
    lasts much, much longer
    a little more sedating, depends on the poppies
    takes longer to kick in, kicks in slowly
    the high is just more "complex"

Pills (hydrocodone, oxycodone):
    kick in much faster, definite "peak"
    high feels "cleaner" or more targeted
    wear off much quicker

Personally, SWIM prefers to have a little of both...
    But note, the tea seems to make your tolerance for the pills go way up