Effects - Comparing ritalin to MPA or ethylphenidate

Discussion in 'Research Chemicals' started by Finity, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Finity

Finity Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This guy from college was talking on and on about drugs (like I care)... but I figure I'd ask DF what they think. He said the first time he snorted focalin (basically ritalin) it was the best high in the world. Months later he switched to adderall because of tolerance. The adderall was weak because of tolerance but my tolerance to focalin made it non-effective. This guy has tried MPA and ethylphenidate (as well as many other RCs) but those felt the same. The euphoria lasted 60seconds tops then is was just increase in BP. I have no idea if mpa and ethylphenidate are pure shit, or if he was such a stimulant newbie he loved focalin.

My question is, which Research Chemical resembles ritalin the most?

Finity added 1 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

i mean, focalin high lasted 2-4 hours. mpa and ethylphenidate lasted 60 seconds.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    1. 3/5,
      Please avoid abbrevieations - don't assume knowledge based on the location of the thread
      May 19, 2013
  2. Judd

Judd Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from UK
    I have never tried ritalin or adderall or any thing labelled as 'speed' although you say your friend is prescribed it, last week I insuffalted 500mg of ethyphenidate, And fuck me this stuff turned me into a jittering mad man, i was looking for a mephedrone replacement an as this did the job, (No euphoria though) it is long lasting. I probably shouldn't have taken 500mg within 1 hour :/
    anyways i think ethyphenidate at the right dose would act like an amphetamine. When I was high on ethyphenidate I was going to a festival the next day an I was literally running round the house packing for hours on end, packing things I didn't even need thinking of all sorts of typical speed thoughts e.g. 'I want to take my Guitar!, shit! I don't have one, ill figure out a way to buy one even though its 11 at night an I'm going at 7 in the morning.
    Swim hears MPA was the closest thing to methamphetimine when it was legal here in the UK, i never experience the rush myself

BTW to anyone reading who enjoys masturbating while on mephedrone or amphetamines, ethylphenidate is the drug for you.

also i don't want to insult your intelligence but for some reason people refer themselves to SWIM on here for some bizzare reason, just in case you didn't know.

1. 3/5,
      Newbies could read that and think it is a high dose when in reality it is EXTREMELY dangerous dose for a non tolerant person.
      Jul 22, 2013
  3. Finity

Finity Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    my friends taken large doses nasaley of mpa and ethyphenidate but only so much can be absorbed. and in his experience oral administration is pure garbage.

4. Judd

Judd Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from UK
    apolgies but is that a reply to my post?

5. Finity

Finity Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    what my friend was saying is, you have to snort too much MPA or ethylphen to feel the long lasting euphoria. his nose will get clogged b4 the right dose is taken. when he doses orally there is absolutely no euphoria, he just feels awake and jittery. he admits snorting a medium-large dose of ethylphen or mpa can by pleasurable, but it only lasts around 2 minutes. then you go back to baseline, then a nasty crash. Its possible the batches he received were poor quality though but I doubt it because he is slightly tolerant to harder stims. . can you suggest a Research Chemical stim legal in USA? one that lasts around an hour or something that mixes well with other Research Chemicals or drugs like 6-apb, 5-apb?

its a damn shame no one can get 4-fa anymore, most Research Chemical vendors stopped shipping to the US.

Finity added 6 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

Here's my original post written more clearly. Friend felt the adderall more than focalin because that behave differently but the overall high was weaker. And he isn't sure if MPA/ethylphenidate are any good because he's used to the high quality stims.

Finity added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

i'm sorry. i cant type today.... i'm done. any response is helpful.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  6. nanodesu

nanodesu Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from hungary
    A friend of mine used amphetamines, ethyphenidate, MPA and Ritalin and he says that for him ethylphenidate was the best. He likes it because it gives a mellow high which lasts for 2-2.5 hours(3-4 hours to baseline) while having a lot less cardiovascular side effects than the others. He mainly uses it as an ADHD medication though.
    He got his stuff from a good source in crystal form. btw the only difference between crystal and powder form is that the crystal is a lot more potent by volume(even after being crushed up) than powder.

7. GentlemanTom

GentlemanTom Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I don't know if you can say that amphetamine is high quality stim and mpa is not. Usually, when we talk of quality, we speak of the quality of material, not that one material is more qualitative than other. Because usually it's subjective.

Third, i seem to lose the grip of what this topic is about, but i can add a pinch about the two, as i just met a guy talking about these materials in the shop.According to him,
    • compared to Amphetamine, MPA is much more functional, clean and pleasant. When used orally there's little to none side effects, no body load and a crystal clear stimulation - it's like being totally rested, after a good sleep with a bonus for concentration. But it has practically no recreational value.
    • compared to Amphetamine, ethylphenidate is much more social and enjoyable with a slight pleasurable rush, though it can give some restlessness. It's stimulating and even could help concentrating at small doses (5-15 mg) and it's coke-like social drug for parties in casual doses (40-50mg). It's highly unadvisable to use 500 mgs in one hour, and person should be careful with the dosing anyway, even at casual doses as in the time side effects add up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  8. nothink

nothink Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I know the topic isn't really about functional value here but I will throw in my opinion as compared to 8ish months of prescribed ritalin use. I find ritalin to give me a mild dysphoria and quite a bit of anxiety but have tried taking it for 8 months just because it can help me get things done if the conditions are right. It has a negative impact on my sociability, which is already not great and can increase irritability.

I recently tried both Methiopropamine and Ethylphenidate as substitutions and I found them both much easier on me while still giving me the concentration boost I needed. Less anxiety and less problems communicating with other people.

Overall I found Methipropamine pretty much perfect for what I was using it for and pretty much what I thought Ritalin would be like before I was prescribed it. A very clear headed, focused effect that made me feel just in top form really but without any of the edgy effects I can get from Ritalin. I never experienced any after effects from the doses I was taking (35mg oral).

Ethylphenidate I still found a clearer feeling than Ritalin but it didn't last more than about 2.5-3 hours and it could make me slightly jittery.

1. 4/5,
      right attitude towards MPA - the doses, the aims.
      Oct 10, 2012
  9. konshuss

konshuss Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Back to the original post, EPH vs MPA vs MPH ... as an avid researcher of stims I feel can contribute a bit on this subject.

Methylphenidate: In an alternate universe, I've been a recreational user of MPH for a couple years. The magic wore off for me after about 6-8 months, but I found MPH to be a sneaky bugger. I had become habituated. The positive effects were lasting 1-2 hours (increased alertness, euphoria, etc.) but the irritability and cadiovascular effects lasted many more hours than I liked.

My daily doses never exceeded 40-50mgs, oral / insuff / plugging. But the love affair was a sham, and my beautiful MPH princess had turned into a sour hag.

Re-dosing made things worse. ROA didn't matter, the effects were the same, although snorting was probably the worst in terms of cost/benefit ratio -- snorting equaled fast-hitting euphoria that evaporated in 30 minutes, leaving a "GOD I FEEL LIKE SHIT" feeling for a couple hours. Of course, YMMV.

I used to be a fan of MDPV, but I found the body load too hard to live with. Good euphoric blast for 1-2 hours (at doses around 10mg orally) but I eventually gave that one up. Didn't like the feeling of my heart pounding in my chest for several hours afterwards.

Ethylphenidate seems to be a interesting animal. The version I have is the crystalline salt. Orally it produces a stronger euphoria than MPH, but shorter-acting. A warm, energetic sense of confidence, and a strong desire to chat and 'connect' with people (reminiscent of the Best of Ritalin years).

But after the sparkles fade away, there's a feeling of being mentally-drained. Noise and activity around me become very annoying after the euphoria fades. Could be a function of my 2-year dysfunctional love-in with MPH, I dunno.

EPH is supposedly much more selective as a dopamine re-uptake inhibitor than MPH is, and the assumption that this SHOULD be a good thing. Less noradrenalin pumping through my system is a good thing. But in my mind EPH needs more study.

MPA is new to the party. Its reputation online is much exaggerated in the sales literature -- this is by no means a close cousin to methamphetamine. Although structurally they look similar, MPA does not perform at all like meth.

I have found oral doses of MPA (threshold 10-20mgs) to be barely noticeable or worth bothering with. I'm not into insufflation or vaping, as I'm dealing with the tail end of acute bronchitis from Dec. 2012. But plugging was attempted recently, and results were positive, but not mind-blowing.

20mg of MPA was plugged over a 3-hour period (I'm a big fan of starting with low doses and working up) ... the substance dissolved extremely easily in warm tap water. 4mL + 10mg of MPA was administered in two separate sessions.

Effects were felt within a couple minutes. Similar to plugging other stims -- noticeable alertness, improved mood, desire to 'move', raised heart rate (to 84bpm from resting 72bpm), blood pressure remained normal.

MPA produced much less euphoria than EPH or MPH. Just a bit of mental 'uplift', but no WOW factor. During the day I just felt productive, focused, attentive -- but almost like I hadn't taken anything at all. It was very subtle, just running in the background. Like a couple cups of strong coffee, without the coffee breath and diuretic effects.

The comedown on MPA (such as it was) was extremely mild, much milder than MPH in my previous experience. Very manageable. Then again, it's important to remember I'm deliberately using low doses -- similar in range to my previous Ritalin use of between 10mg to 40mg, tops. No weekend binging or massive partying. I'm utilizing these psychic 'tools' in order to be functional and productive during the weekday hours.

SUMMARY: MPA is a different 'high' than MPH or EPH. I would say it is more clean, less uplifting, less exciting in general. But it's still functional, if you're just looking for a basic Research Chemical to boost your energy levels for work or study, etc. It reminds me most of a detuned hit of dextroamphetamine, to be honest. Like a very watered-down version of d-amp. That's the closest parallel I can think of.

1. 3/5,
      nice comparison!
      Aug 1, 2013
  10. Boltzmann

Boltzmann Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Perhaps my experiences are unique to myself, but i found MPA unhelpful because any gained vigilance due to adrenergic activity was ruined by the anxiety that it caused me. Your mileage may vary.

I recommend thinking - what is it that is keeping me from doing what I want? What thought patterns? Stimulant medication is not always the right answer. It's entirely possible that an anxiolytic, paradoxically, is needed. I'm not one to guarantee a solution without full information. Example: I found clomipramine help attention significantly by cutting down intrusive thoughts and relaxing me. It also has some NRI activity through a primary metabolite, which could be helping my concentration as well. (This is prescribed to me for chronically having almost the entire set of anxiety disorders at moderate to extreme levels.)

Lastly, this information only applies if you are seeking functionaliity. If you are attempting to abuse these materials, I can't help you maintain euphoria if you consistently dose that high. Breaks from taking it are your best option. doing some cardiovascular exercise during your abstinence period should help with energy and dysphoria of withdrawals and also help to reduce tolerance due to its TrkB-based neurotrophic effects.

11. Hover

Hover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My chinchilla's chinchilette caught him reading this snippet then attempted to confiscate his stash. I had to put them in separate cages.

Hover added 39 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Absolutely, and this is backed by clinical observation. Contrary to popular perception pathological anxiety does not always lead one to OCD (which is in essence 'over-focusing') but can sometimes mimic ADHD's fleeting thought pattern. Apparently the most successful therapy for this condition is achieved using an old but extremely proven drug: phenobarbital in relatively small doses accumulates and stabilizes in the body to provide lifelong efficacy in taming anxiety related disorganized thought patterns and associated behavior. I have seen a friend of mine transformed from a don't-give-a-shit-about-nuttin' grumpy (but funny/witty) dude whose expensive pigsty of an apartment funked up a whole hallway to a very clean and organized individual when he was put on this regimen about 20 years ago and it's still working as it did when he started. The one time his shrink weaned him off (at his own request) he quickly reverted to skunk status and was persuaded by the good Dr that he would need this drug for life.

The 'drawback' is that he can't booze up as he used to, the prescribed dose is low enough to allow for two beers or a glass of wine but that's it, and he sticks to it. As for the downer effects, I can't see none other than him being less jittery than he was back in the day. This was an extremely energetic individual but his energies were wasted on doing 20 things at once and finishing none, exacerbated by a neurologist giving him stims after a wrong diagnosis of ADHD. By the age of 30 he had been married 4 times but the longest it lasted was less than a year. Now he still has loads of energy but is focused and balanced in his goals and actions. Quite remarkable.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  12. charliewhite

charliewhite Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    can any one tell me if ethylpendiate has a smell and if does could they give a rough description of it?ive purchased some ethylpendiate of a few uk vendors and its mostly been odourless and not very potent and im just curious as im wondering if im just been scammed!ive read varied reports that it should have a solventy or petrochemical/diesely smell but none of the samples ive gotten match this description!most of them were quite painfull to insufflate,should this be the case??

13. Hover

Hover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You have to have a really keen sense of smell to detect any odor from good quality EPH (ethylphenidate) be it the racemic mixture or the pure enantiomer -btw there is little difference in effects between the two-, to most it would be odorless. As for being painful to insufflate I remember it once was for my kindred sporit but the sinuses adapt to it very quickly and it becomes more of a minor annoyance than a pain. Racemic is somewhat gentler than the enantiomer, but if it's really painful I'd say either you have a sensitive nose or you are dealing with novocaine or some other "caine" cut, those burn like a SOB for 2-3 minutes. You can detect these by putting a small amount of powder on your tongue: if it gets numb there you go.

Visual aspect of the substance is also important. Good quality EPH looks like slightly damp table salt. Tiny clumps, and no large crystals. Remember it is manufactured by pharmaceutical labs so it should have that high-grade aspect to it. Also it should dissolve in water in seconds: you can perform this test without wasting any EPH, just use an eye dropper or nasal dropper (worth about $2 for the pair at any pharmacy) and deposit the solution inside your nose. Trust me it'll work wonders. You can also use the dropper for rectal RoA but be careful to properly lubricate the dropper, especially if it's made of glass (the best ones are). Avoid rectal route if you have dissolved more than 20mg of powder because bioavailability via this route is much higher than nasal.

But best test of all is effects. Should feel like methylphenidate or amphetamine but a lot less peripheral side effects. Sometimes users think it's not working as it should because they expect it to be like IR Ritalin but in reality it is closer to cocaine albeit with a delayed onset (insufflation onset can be as long as 15 minutes). If you suspect your EPH is cut then "wet insufflation" is the best RoA to get the most out of it. This method involves depositing drops of EPH dissolved in warm water inside the nostrils with a dropper. You can use an eye dropper but a nasal dropper has a curved tip for dropping directly into the sinus, which is said to be superior. This method is commonly used to insufflate morphine or hydromorphone (Dilaudid) both of which (in tablet or liquid form) having notoriously low oral and rectal bioavailability. This can also be used for EPH as well and will achieve better results than snorting dry powder, but not as good as rectal. Another benefit is that any cut present in the EPH that is not water soluble will remain in the water instead of clogging your sinuses and blocking the goodies from getting through. This is the reason why you should filter the EPH solution through a unused, split open cigarette filter when drawing the liquid into the dropper.

14. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    to keep it short ethylphenidate is similar to ritalin but shorter duration (euphoric part anyway, the stimulation seems to be the same as regular methylphenidate).

The reason your friend loves ritalin so much is probably because it was the first stimulant he tried, at that time he had no tolerance to the drugs. His tolerance was already high when he switched to adderall so this probably contributed to the disappointment.

scientifically ethylphenidate is focused more as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and less as a norepinephrine
    uptake inhibitor in comparison to methylphenidate. This is not to say ethylphenidate is stronger; in fact methylphenidate is nearly twice as potent at binding to dopamine transporters (139 vs 276, lower is stronger) so their effects arent going to be identical but its going to be the closest you can get.

also note that ethylphenidate would definitely fall under the federal analogue law if you are in the US; so its not risk free.

15. Dwight89

Dwight89 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    We'll I have tried rattling and adderall. I liked adderall much more that Ritalin. I have also tried ethylphenidate and methiopropamine. Ethyl was much more of a rush with euphoria while methiopropamine gave me clear headed energy. I would compare Ritalin to Methiopropamine because I will keep you up for days if you redoes. Adderall gave me more euphoria so I compare it to ethyl. Metgiopropamine is great for studying. You can study for hours and hours and not even be phased. I studied for 10 hours straight one time. Male 200lbs

16. Dwight89

Dwight89 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend has taken ritalin 10mg, adderall 30mg, many grams of meth, some ethylphenadate, and Methiopropamine. When He used Ritalin, He snorted it and went through 30 pills in 2 and 1/2 days. It kept him awake to study all night but I would not waste my money buying it online. The Adderall 30mg was very meth like and speedy. He liked it a lot but can't find any online. Ethylphenadate was a euphoric rush that lasted 2 hours but now whenever he orders it, it's low quality. Meth and Methiopropamine(MPA) felt almost the same to my friend. He used them both together and had a vary productive day of studying. He loves MPA because you can study for hours on end without being fazed. He feels methiopropamine is well worth the price where meth is very expensive. Oh and my friend also smoked the MPA and meth out of a pipe and snorted both. Snorting tasted nasty and make my friend almost throw up. My friend suggests you buy MPA- Methiopropamine.