Bongs - Conserving herb when using a bong

Discussion in 'Cannabis paraphernalia' started by Ben12345, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ben12345

Ben12345 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    I am low on money, and has some very good, potent herb. He wants to conserve the herb, and smoking through a bong is the best way to do this. However, when he puts only a little amount of the herb in the metal socket (I have made a homemade bong using a 2 litter bottle, hose from an aquarium filter, and metal socket), the weed often goes through the tube and into the water. If SWIM puts a large solid "ball" of weed in the metal socket, and starts smoking, if SWIM covers the top of the socket after he's had enough, with maybe a metal sheet or something, cutting off the oxygen, will the herb stop burning? Will SWIM be able to effectively reuse the rest of the semi burned weed? It will probably be black on the top of the ball, but will it still be ok to smoke again?

2. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It will probably keep burning a bit, though I suppose you could do that. A better idea would be to make a better tube, possibly by welding in a little grill or simply shoving in a grill to help keep little pieces of weed from falling through.

More effort on bong construction will save you more trouble and lost weed in the end. You should be able to put a tiny piece in and still draw a decent amount of smoke that can get you effects.

3. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    You should really look into screens of some sort, they can usually be bought pretty cheaply, if not I has successfully used a section cut out of the metal screen off the front of an old speaker, just make sure to burn any paint off it first., other option might include part of an old metal sieve of tea strainer. Even stabbing lots of holes into a cut out bit of a steel drinks can has been utilized,again burning the paint off is important before use

4. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^^^^

Screen, thats what I meant to say. Grill just sounded good as I just woke up and couldn't remember what I wanted to say.

5. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I hate that searching for a word, especially when it is common but you just cant get it, know the feeling:) . Still knew what you meant by grill but thought I'd offer some DIY source ideas.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  6. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  7. ProtectedByTheGods

ProtectedByTheGods Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was just about to post, but then I noticed the link to the other thread.
    Still as a summary: in order not to have yous unburnt weed fall through
    the tube, put some tobacco in the bottom. By the time the whole packing
    goes down the tube, the weed has been burned and only tobacco and ashes
    go into the water. ;)

Also, might SWIM suggest not to use 2 Liter bottles, they are just too large
    to be effective.

8. idon'tdodrugs,justweed

idon'tdodrugs,justweed Guest

Reputation Points:
    just look in one of your faucets there should be a little screen where the water comes out and take it out, then make sure to clean it with some kaboom or CLR or house hold cleaner the rinse it realll good in water, then just put it in th bottom of your bowl, or just buy a screen from a hardwear store for 30 cents

9. 420kid

420kid Newbie

Reputation Points:
    get a screen

10. truth

truth Newbie

Reputation Points:
    or use little pebbles from outside. thats what I do when his screen gets all gunked with resin.

11. Metomni

Metomni Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    you's logic is a bit skewed. How is a bong conservative? If You is looking to be conservative they should get a battie or a small chillum, not a home made bong.

12. blackbastard

blackbastard Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from afghanistan
    chillums arent particularly good at smoking very small amounts of weed. I has found they require more dope than a bong would and while getting you more stoned, in the end are not more efficient.
    a 1l water bottle made into a waterfall would be the most effective way to make most of swiy's green

13. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    A bong is conservative in the sense that You will be able to take larger hits and hold them in longer, thus probably getting higher from the same amount of weed. Like above, SWIM just suggests getting a screen.

14. Ididnotinhale

Ididnotinhale Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Get an ash catcher, it may sounds gross, but you can take out whatever falls through into the ash catcher to smoke again.

15. Ididnotinhale

Ididnotinhale Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Plus ash catchers are cheaper than any new smoking device.

16. afarmer

afarmer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Yeah I've had that problem before when I was trying to buy screens (for my imaginary friend) and I'd completely forgotten the name and was trying to explain to the shop owner what I meant and I could think was mesh.

But yeah, most headshops and some newsagents sell these for really cheap, usually in packets of 5.