Controlling opiate addiction. pls help..

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by geeeezer29, Oct 28, 2006.

1. geeeezer29

geeeezer29 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o
    I found the following written on a notebook laying in the street. It contained some information from a guy who calls himself "SWIM", but he wrote it in the first person. I just want to make it clear that the "I" in the following sentences does not refer to myself, the poster, but to SWIM. I wanted to see if you guys could help this SWIM person out, and I'll find him and give him your responses. Here goes...

"I am currently having problems controlling my drug use.

I have seen two Doctor's who havent helped at all. They tried to put me on antideppresants which made me feel awful.

I have contacted several counsellors but having never been in the situation themselves, I find their advice of little help.

I have come to this forum to hopefully get some advice from people who have been in a similar situation to me. In turn I will offer any helpful advice I can to other members seeking advice.

This post is a bit mixed up because my head is all over the place at the moment.

I have been using GBL for a while. It's just been the last two weeks where it has got out of hand.

This binge (I have been on a couple of binges before) - I am nearly through a 250ml bottle. I have been using daily around the clock and it is causing great dificulties. I nearly crashed my car a couple of days ago. I had to pull to the side of the road and go to sleep. (I try to avoid driving while intoxicated but I had accidentally taken too much. I know this was stupid and I deeply regret it).

I managed to only use three times yesterday because I went out on the town last night drinking.

Once, when I woke up at 5am. Again on the way to work. Had a shaky, deppressive day at work (normally I would use a couple of times at work). Then had a hit when home from work.

I managed to aviod taking any G last night when I was drinking. But today I have hit it again because I have a massive hangover. I find the G to be the best hangover cure. It completely releives all the symptoms, just like "hair of the dog" drinking does. That is originally why I started using it - as a hangover cure.

I have a genuine addictive personality and had started drinking (hard liquor) the day after a night of drinking to cure my hangovers, which seem to effect me a lot worse than the average person. This led to drinking the next day after that because I had a hangover again, soon I was drinking every night and became an alcohlic (so my doctor says - I never drank at work or in the day during the week and didnt get withdrawals but the doctor told me I was an alcoholic).

G helped me cure my "alcoholism" but became a replacement. Then I quit the G but replaced that with Methadone (don't even ask how that happened), then I quit that and experienced my first ever "withdrawals", which I still am not really over mentally.

Then I became addicted to benzo's which I was using to get over the withdrawals from the Methadone. Withdrew from them, clean for a few months, then started drinking again but only sensibly (once-twice a week).

Then started using benzo's again, and G. Successfully cycling booze, benzo's and G for a while.

Now the G, benzo's and booze has got out of hand. Booze - 4-5 nights a week. Benzo's every night. G every day. What a fuck up.

To be honest, I felt the best I ever had when I was clean. But it got so boring, being strait all the time. Getting fucked up has been a routine for like 15 years, and its great fun. I have tried most things in life and getting high / intoxicated is one of the most enjoyable things to do.

I need to sort myself out but don't know how to get a proper balance sorted.

How do you guys cycle your use of "drugs"?

Can anyone offer any advice?"

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2006
  2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Controlling my addiction. pls help..

Hi you,

it sounds like there are a lot of issues for you to tackle, and i'll begin and asnwer as much as I can right now, I'm sure other members will be willing to contribute and help too.

Firstly, substance use is never an easy thing to quit, especially polysubstance use. You may never be able to return to a pattern of "regulated" use, and certainly not before You has been completely clean for a very long time, perhaps several years. Worry about controlled use later, the key issue now is to get clean!

Most of the substances You is using are ones that bind the GABA receptors, and the length of time You has been using means that your withdrawals could be very dangerous or even fatal if attempted cold turkey and alone. The withdrawal can produce seizures that are potentially deadly, so the first thing You will want to do is find a good treatment facility or doctor well-versed in treating alcohol withdrawal, if not the other drug withdrawals as well. GBL and benzo withdrawal, in ways, are similar to alcohol withdrawal though, so as long as the doctor has a broad drug knowledge and can treat people by tapering them off drugs, the doctor should work. Explain the situation fully to him or her. Don't leave out any drugs, even if You is ashamed to have done so many. Its for your own safety. The other 2 doctors You saw were incorrect in giving You antidepressants and hoping the problem would go away.

What the doctor will probably do if he or she is any good is taper You off of the gaba-binding drugs. You will probably have to stop taking GBL and drinking alcohol entirely, and take LOW doses of benzodiazepines or barbiturates as prescribed by the doctor. Other anti-seizure medications may also be given to help with the withdrawals. Under no circumstances use any other drug than what your doctor prescribes you, this can be dangerous to go against.

The drug doses will be lowered over time for You until swiy's use gets to a level where its safe to stop the drug use entirely without risk of fatal seizure. Along with this tapering, and for a period of time afterward, You will have to attend therapy, probably in a group setting with occasional one on one meetings. These are important since it will let You know that he/she is not alone, and help You develop coping strategies to keep from using when You has a craving, You will have to learn how to have fun without altering his/her consciousness, how to handle stress/anxiety/etc without drugs or alcohol, and how to avoid settings and triggers that could lead to craving and use. Attend all of these meetings, and make lists of phone numbers of people who You can call and talk to if he/she has an urge to use. Carry around alternate activities such as games, puzzles, candy, anything that can distract You in the event of a craving.

This will be a rough battle, but with some help, You can make it and stop using. Tackle this problem first before giving thought as to how one can limit their use. You will try to post more later, and if You has more questions please ask. We'll help however we can. Take care, and remember You is not in this struggle alone!

3. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.

It can be tough. The time to do it is clearly *in between* binges, not during. One simply has to resist the siren song of the drug in question, whatever it may be... just don't use it. "Don't keep the stuff around the house" is probably rule #1 as far as it goes. Those who can buy their substance of choice quickly/easily (e.g. at the corner store or with a 5 minute phone call) have it worse.

I have had some luck with substituting drugs, e.g. kratom or weed for the "harder" stuff... it's not a panacea and can be addictive in and of itself, but it can be helpful (particularly in the beginning). Geographicals can sometimes be helpful, particularly in situations like visiting close relatives where you don't want them to see you engaged in your habit(s) of choice. Finally, some people have found AA/NA meetings to be helpful. Just the socializing aspect of it can be nice.

P.S. if "straight" is boring, maybe it's time to look into finding a variety of hobbies that will keep you's interest. Sitting around all day watching Jerry Springer & Maury just don't do it, I can say that much from experience.

4. geeeezer29

geeeezer29 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o

Thanks for taking time to reply. I am sure the person who wrote the post ;) is very glad to have your advice.

This guy will be looking for a new GP and will explain the situation with the whole truth, this perhaps is what may have hampered the doctors advice previously.

The guy has tried kratom before and didnt like it. He doesnt smoke weed anymore because this aggrevates worry and deppression in him. He didnt mention before that he started his journey into the world of drugs by smoking weed and that led onto (in true stereotypical style) LSD, amphetamine, exctasy, and onto cocaine, then opiates generally harder drugs. Which generally caused a great deal of hassle in life that drug free people didnt have to deal with.

I will continue with this later when I am not "coming up" off 2ml of GBL and cant concentrate any further.

Thanks. I am ok for the time being.

5. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:

You is not the only one for whom weed can have a negative effect. It is important to stay away from this drug and probably most others at least while attempting to get clean. This is for a few reasons:

1. its easy to get messed up on a drug, and have a lack of inhibition which can make it easy to rationalize, "well, one more fling with benzos/gbl/etc wouldnt hurt"

2. during this time period, You may be depressed, and this could lead to a greater frequency or chance of bad trips or negative experiences.

3. you's brain chemistry will be in a state of flux and You has a greater chance of greater rebound depression following more drug use. This means feeling better will take a longer time, and there would be more opportunities for making the sobriety even harder to mantain.

4. Even if You has a good experience on pot, etc., this could mean You might just trade one addiction for another. So that alone should lead to extreme caution.

SWIM honestly believes You can do this, with a doctor's care and supervision due to the risk involved of kicking GABAergic drugs cold turkey. you's doctor may prescribe antidepressants for this time period, so mention to him or her which ones You has tried and how well if at all they worked. This will help too.

Drugs can lead to a great amount of hassle that most people do not have to deal with, but just think, when its over, You will have accomplished a very difficult feat, and thats something he can be very proud of too. At first it will be incredibly hard, but be strong and ask the forum for whatever advice and encouragement You needs. It does get easier over time, even day by day, You will notice a difference. It will be important to keep busy, You may want to look into hobbies, art, etc. that he can get into, and stock up on movies and music to help keep You entertained. Telling friends of you's intention can help too since they can be there if You needs them, and they can help dissuade You if he wants to relapse, as well as assisting in making sure You is keeping busy, since that's the best thing that can help with fighting any addiction. Maybe keep track of how much money You will save each month by not using drugs too, that can be a powerful motivator. Each month maybe buy something nice or do something special, and reward you's self with small things often. Good luck, and keep us posted as to you's progress.

Nicaine has offered some great advice as well. More benign drugs can help some people, its true, and it IS possible to use in moderation if many rules are set out ahead of time, such as only using once in a given set of time, controlling the amount used and not taking any more, using only in certain special settings (it helps if this is outside the home, so that being home is not a cue to use), and only using with people as opposed to alone, etc. But try being sober for a few months, as tough as that can be, and THEN think about the ground rules You will have when he is an occasional user. Perhaps after this time You will not want to return to drugs, but at the very least he will be in a better state of mind to evaluate what kind of use, and how often, will be allowed for you.

6. geeeezer29

geeeezer29 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o

Thank you for giving up your time to offer advice.

I think SWIN has progressed this week, cutting down on GBL which will soon be gone and never resupplied.

SWIN has used the substitution method. though perhaps with not ideal substances, ritalin was discovered which gave a nice kick up the arse in the morning, helped focus on the positive and even proved to be a worthwhile antideppresant. However after a couple of days SWIN gained a tolernace and the stuff does not really work anymore, SWIN has tried higher and higher doses but its not good.

The worse relapse SWIN had was today. the depression has now lifted but the boredom has not. As you said it is good to keep busy but SWIN seems took like taking whatever while he is busy.

SWIN needs to step outside of his comfort zone I think. Take up a new hobby that requires skill so cant be done when messed up.

What hobbies do you guys have? Any suggestions. SWIN already go to the gym and jog several times a week but these are lone tasks. SWIN am also self-employed so work on SWIN own. SWIN see friends/family at weekends. and lives with girlfriend but none of SWIN's family or friends, even partner know of SWIN drug use. As far as everyone else is concerned SWIN am an occasional social drinker. SWIN girlfrind knows of the past problems with alcohol and drugs but not the current situation.

SWIN thinks being around people more and being more stimulated during the week would help. but he doesnt know how. SWIN has tried part time jobs, actually been looking since the start of the year for a part time job to supplement his income but theres nothing about.

Anyway, no GBL, booze (well maybe a beer or two) or benzos tonight. SWIN have substituted those previous substances with 300mg Dihydrocodeine (SWIN have an unfortunate high natural tolerance to opiods) and 750mg Soma :p . One step forward, two steps back.

SWIN really needs to register with a doctor soon..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006
  7. geeeezer29

geeeezer29 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o

Damn SWIN has missed a few SWIN in the above, How do I edit? Mods please make right. Thanks

8. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:

Silver members and above can edit. You'll get there soon. I'll take care of the post for you.

9. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:

Hobbies that can involve more than one person or that can be done alone are great. You can bring other people to the gym or socialize while he is there. It is true that exercise is about improving personal stamina and setting one's own goals, but that doesnt mean You can't go jogging with someone else. Ask around.

You may want to get involved in some intellectual hobbies as well. Crossword puzzles and word games usually are good for killing an hour for SWIM. If You goes with someone to get coffee or something, they can be done there. Theres some places online that have them too.

Perhaps going to see live music, or taking up an instrument and playing with others could help, too. The key might be away to stay away from the bar at these kinds of events.

Can You be honest with his girlfriend or one of his friends about his problem? It would help if there was someone he could call to assist in activities when he is feeling tempted, although it is hard to come clean with someone after a period of use, it can often be worth it.

10. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Is ibogaine available in your area? It helped Swim kick a seven year opiate habit, with very minimal withdrawl, mostly minor stomach things and a little sneezing/chills, but nothing like any detox he'd ever tried, and he was feeling good after only two weeks.. After two months, he felt like a new man.. He also quit drinking soda, eating sweets, and smoking cigarettes since.. Ibogaine may even be available in your country, so you may want to research it, to see what you can find.. As far as swim knows, it's only illegal in the USA, Belgium, Sweden, and Switzerland..

The idea of getting a job is great.. Helps to occupy the time in which you might be using.. Getting away from any source can definitely make it easier.. A change in lifestyle or regular hangouts may help make the transition easier, as well.. If you take it one day at a time, it makes the task seem easier than trying to imagine going forever without drugs/alcohol...

All the best wishes!!

11. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:

Great advice "forthesevenlakes" Good luck Geeeezer but go easy on the DHC!
    otherwise you will just add to your problems.