1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Converting rubbing alcohol to drinking alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by godismdma, Feb 26, 2005.

1. godismdma

godismdma Newbie

Reputation Points:
    this may be a dumb question but, I have had people tell me you can make rubbing alcohol into drinking alcohol. Is this possible and if so how?????

2. MINUS

MINUS Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    your right it is a dumb question. I dont know if you can change it, i don't think you can. But why would you want to? (the outcome probably wouldn't be worth the process.just buy a pint of cheap vodka!)Plus if you are really desperate you can drink rubbing alcohol to get drunk, but you'll probably puke, and you'll fell sick for a while, so don't do it. TRUST ME![​IMG] Edited by: MINUS

3. Muirner

Muirner

Reputation Points:
    There are true alcoholics that will drink anything from mouthwash to rubbing alcohol to get drunk. I wouldnt advise it because if it was ment to get drunk off of it'd be sold in a liquer store not in your average store. I think that it'd fuck up your stomach to drink rubbing alcohol or mouthwash. hell i think u'd puke far before u got drunk but that is just SWIMS opinion

MuirnerEdited by: Muirner

4. godismdma

godismdma Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I really don't drink much anymore, just on the week ends I just wanted to know if was chemically possible to make it drinkable. Concidering the molecular structure is ether and water?!?!?!?

5. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    Well, first, we know that drinking alcohol is ethanol.

Many rubbing alcohols are denatured = chemicals have been added to the ethanol make them unsuitable for drinking. Either they taste like crap or they're poisonous. A commonly used denaturant causes blindness.

A lot of rubbing alcohols don't even contain ethanol, and therefore it would be useless/dangerous to try to consume them.

I don't think it would be worth it to try.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. Pharfromsober

Pharfromsober Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Can SWIY convert rubbing alcohol to drinking alcohol?

You should not consume isopropyl alcohol, this is seriously dangerous. Just Google the MSDS for it. This is a seriously stupid idea, it will get someone killed.

I work in a print shop. I use pure isopropyl daily as a solvent. I am well aware of its hazards. In very small amounts its more or less harmless. When consumed in large amounts its poison.

7. BreezeByTheCreek

BreezeByTheCreek Silver Member

Reputation Points:

C=OH -> Methanol (should be a triple bond)

C=C-OH -> Ethanol

- C
    C - C - OH -> Isopropyl Alcohol
    - C

Only one of the chemical structures here is (relatively) safe for human consumption, the other two have different carbon structures and are poison. Converting between alcohols would be hard as fuck to do, forming or breaking covalent carbon bonds, and then risk putting that in your system hoping it's a pure product. Unless you have a degree in Organic Chemistry (which you don't cause you are asking this question), don't fucking do it. Just splurge the few extra dollars to upgrade to the handle of cheap bottom-shelf vodka and run it through a Brita filter a few times.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. Totse

Totse Newbie

Reputation Points:

I think what the OP was asking is can he use distillation or another method to convert ETHYL rubbing alcohol to a drinkable form, not isopropyl. Is there a way to make denatured alcohol suitable for injestion? I'm pretty sure rubbing alcohol is denatured by way of a bitterant instead of menthol, because menthol can't be used in any product for human consumption, even topical doses.

Would you be able to get pure ethanol from distillation, or maybe some other method?

9. lovethatdrug

lovethatdrug Mercury Member

Reputation Points:

I used to drink and inject rubbing alcohol and I haven't had any problems. I think there is a law that only allows companies to denature it a certain amount so alcoholics aren't harmed if they drink it.
    mouthwash or rubbing alcohol enough to harm you or at all because alcoholics might drink it and sue them.

lovethatdrug added 2 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Mouthwash and rubbing alcohol aren't denatured enough to harm you because companies can get sued. I used to drink both of them everyday.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. seaturtle

seaturtle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't understand why people do this, cheap vodka is less expensive than rubbing alcohol and mouthwash, and obviously cheap vodka is way safer. The only reason for resulting to rubbing alcohol or mouthwash would be if someone is under age or banned from drinking alcohol by their family, and in either case they should not be drinking.

If someone resorts to drinking rubbing alcohol or mouthwash they need rehab immediately, before they destroy their bodies further.

11. Pharfromsober

Pharfromsober Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Lovethatdrug, it has already been covered a number of times in this thread why isopropyl alcohol is not safe for ingestion. You are helping to perpetrate a myth that could get people killed.

Just because you have done something and turned out OK, does not mean its safe. This has nothing to do with alcohol being denatured or not. Ethanol and isopropyl are two different kinds of alcohol, and only one is safe(relatively) to drink and it isn't isopropyl.

12. Nosferatus

Nosferatus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    It is possible to make DENATURED alcohol, that is ethanol for industrial purposes that has additives that make it not readily drinkable, relatively safe to consume. Rubbing alcohol, however, is 100% isopropyl alcohol, which is 110% toxic to humans, and cannot be made anything but that, it's quite chemically distinct from ethanol, and it would be a foolish person who would attempt to consume it under any circumstances. I really don't even understand why one would even be inclined to try this, there are brands of purpose made drinking alcohol that are in fact cheaper than isopropyl.

13. zedletter

zedletter Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    Drinking mouthwash isn't that bad when you're broke as hell. It's 54 proof ETHANOL, and none of the other ingredients are that harmful. I don't reccommend drinking it, but when people say you can't get drunk off of listerine, they are wrong.

14. Hockeydemon

Hockeydemon Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    You can renature alcohol that has been denatured, but it is more work that it is worth which is the whole purpose of denaturing alcohol. All of the additives have different boiling points so you could distill off the different additives, but the boiling points are similar to one another intentionally so you would need to perform an azeotropic distillation - most likely under vacuum. Not something your average household is able to do.

You can synthesize ethanol easier than you can renature alcohol..

15. MattMatt

MattMatt Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have two problems with this thread.
    1) the original poster was asking about removing toxic additives to denatured alcohols, not changing Iso to ethyl
    2) Isopropyl may not be suitable as a drinking alcohol but its toxicity is not much higher than ethanol. BOTH are toxic. Ethanol is organic and metabolised easier by the liver and can get you drunk long before causing fatal overdose. Isopropyl alcohol is metabolised to acetone by the liver and the line between getting drunk and doing serious harm is very thin.
    So while it is good to deter people from drinking Isopropyl alcohol it is should be done with the truth. Comments like "110%" poisonous are just dumb. ALL alcohol is poisonous but the body can deal with ethanol easier than it can Isopropyl and Ethanol is less toxic. But Isopropyl is less damaging for topical applications, which is why it is often used as rubbing alcohol.
    It is methanol that is the really dangerous alcohol, and can kill or cause blindness, even in tiny amounts.
    You'd need to drink about 8 oz of Iso to kill yourself and consider 12 oz of ethanol could do the same its toxicity should not be exaggerated.
    There are a lot of good reasons why people should not drink isopropyl alcohol, so stick to providing them with the good and truthful reasons please people and don't peddle nonsense

16. Alien Sex Fiend

Alien Sex Fiend Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    This is wrong. Could a mod please close this thread before some dumb body seriously hurts himself/herself?

17. PowerfulMedicine

PowerfulMedicine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Actually, their numbers are pretty accurate. According to data on the CDC website, 190g of isopropyl alcohol is considered to be the probable oral lethal dose for humans. With a density of .786g/mL, that puts the lethal dose of pure isopropyl alcohol at 8.15oz in volume.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/idlh/67630.HTML

Something that I find interesting is that the major metabolite of isopropyl alcohol, acetone (oral LD50: 5800 mg/kg in rats), is less toxic than the major metabolite of ethanol, acetaldehyde (oral LD50: 661 mg/kg in rats).

Acetaldehyde MSDS: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922768
    Acetone MSDS: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927062

18. Alien Sex Fiend

Alien Sex Fiend Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I didn't mean that, I meant this:
    12 oz of ethanol will make you hangover but won't kill you, unlike 8oz of Iso

19. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    How many people do you hear about going blind from drinking alcohol?
    Isopropyl might not kill you in small doses but it can cause you lots of other problems that low doses of drinking alcohol will not.

20. PowerfulMedicine

PowerfulMedicine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I'm having a hard time finding good references for the lethal dose of alcohol in humans that isn't put in terms of Blood Alcohol Content but, from what I can find, it seems that the lethal dose of ethanol in a humans is 5-8g/kg which is around 300g for a 60kg person. Another number I found was 300-400mL.

http://www.alcohol.org.nz/alcohol-you/your-body-alcohol/health-effects/alcohol-poisoning

300g of ethanol, which has a density of .789g/mL, is approximately 380mL or 12.8oz. 300-400mL is about 10-14oz which also fits Matt's number well. Using the figure 5-8g/kg as a lethal dose, that would put my lethal dose at around 19oz, but I wouldn't want to even get to 12oz, let alone test this number.

This is in terms of pure alcohol. No one drinks pure alcohol. His numbers are spot on for pure isopropanol and ethanol. 12oz of hard liquor may just give you a hangover. But 12oz of very pure moonshine could possibly kill you. You might be able to drink more if you're very large or an alcoholic with a high tolerance, but you'd still be in a dangerous situation.