Drug info - cooking wine

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by jesusfreak666er, Jul 17, 2006.

1. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I has no intention of doin this but one day he was bored and was pondering drinking cooking wine, would there be any repercusions from doing such, maybe salt content... dont judge swim... he didnt end up doing it, just curious

2. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It just wouldn't taste that good. Thats pretty much it as far as swim knows. Unless there is a special type of cooking wine You would use. Swim used to make fondue and other dishes in Switzerland and would chug a little of the white wine he used as well. There shouldn't be a problem.

3. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    Don't just cook it, distill it.

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Cooking wine in the USA contains about 1.5% salt by weight. Die-hard drunks are known to freeze this. As the alcohol won't freeze, they pour off the alcohol and imbibe this. So I have seen done. The person I witnessed doing this then went on to drink a quart of listerine mouthwash. He was driven to a hospital puking and nearly comatose. Bon appetite.

5. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    lol I am not a drunk, he was just curious... since they sell it in the supermarket in pa (pa doesnt sell any alc in the supermarkets) so I was thinkin maybe they put something in it that is not drinkable.

6. Voices

Voices Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    If some random swim cannot get alcohol for what ever reason, they can make it with 3 cups of honey, 12 cups of water, and about 3 weeks time.

In it's simplest form it's called T' ej, an Ethiopian wine made from fermented honey. It's actuallyy very good when let to age for about a year (or more). I like to flavor it with cinnamon, coffee and cloves.

Mead was also made from fermented honey but takes years to age properly.

7. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    As far as "cooking wine" goes, if it ain't good enough to drink, then it ain't no good for cooking.

Just throw the shit away.

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    On the other side of the coin - Shao Hsing (Shaoxing) cooking wine from China is excellent for cooking, even though it is commonly sold cut with the 1.5% salt to make it unpotable. Basically a rice-based sherry, a little of this in a dish that calls for such, Chinese or not, will benefit with a wonderful flavor added.

But don't drink it.

9. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Nag thats the reason I started this thread, he noted that all cooking wine in the US contains the 1.5 salt but found out nothing else. I was just curious since he believes it was taxed like food and no alcohol, and the fact that in PA (my state) it was sold in the supermarket and not the wine and spirits store. (Pa is one of the few states that has that dumb rule of no alc in convient stores or markets). swim attempted to take a sip... most horid taste ever, 1.5% salt is a lot more than it sounds...

10. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    My point is that not all salted wines are rotten even for the intended purpose - cooking. Though such is usually the case. I'd buy some cheap burgundy at a wine store before I'd resort to the crap they call Cooking Wine in the supermarket. But some are quite good - like the Shaoxing.

I understand about Pennsylvania. I lived in Massachusetts. It has Blue Laws (religious laws) making it illegal to sell alcohol on Sundays - and only liquor stores can sell same. This is changing now, though. Due to the Sunday traffic-jam to the New Hampshire border - where Sunday sales are legal - and all the die-hard drunks behind the wheel going up the road for their fix - Sunday sales are now allowed. And some towns are allowing beer and wine to be sold in corner stores instead of fully licensed liquor stores. Quite a step forward for a state that has a law on the books stating that you can beat your wife as long as the stick you use on her is no bigger around than your index finger. Tally ho!

11. thecookiemonster

thecookiemonster Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Right so the die-hard drunk was rushed to the hospital on account of drinking the Listerine/methanol mouthwash and not the ethanol from the frozen cooking wine i take it, i have a bottle of cooking wine here and im goddam well dieing for a drink and now considering putting some in a shallow dish in the freezer and getting intoxicated

would i be safe doing so?

thecookiemonster added 13 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

ok i took a tiny sip of the cooking wine and it tastes like a die-hard drunks armpit, so i put 50ml of the cooking wine in the freezer, im gonna leave it for 45 mins and check it for saltiness taste, ill let you know how it gos

should this be in the extraction/chemistry section?

i feel like Einstein lol

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  12. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    given that your drinking has lead to both the court and the hospital, probably not. Alcohol is clearly a serious problem for you, getting more isn't going to be safe.

13. thecookiemonster

thecookiemonster Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    thanks that potter... ill take your concern on board, perhaps ill bring it up at my next aa meeting over a nice cup of tea mate...

im not doing this for the alcohol, im doing this in the name of science

you cant freeze rice wine in a standard household freezer, the salt and alcohol content is far to high, you can add water to it and make it freeze but the alcohol also freezes

i hope the higher powers don't lock me up like Galileo for shedding light on something that's a myth

i love being a scientist :))

14. warpedvision

warpedvision Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i accidentally made the mistake of downing bottle once when i was younger

i went to sleep with a big smile on my face

i woke up shaking with piss rolling down my leg moaning running to the trashcan gagging on the way there

it had to have been one of my worst hangovers

never again

i would never recommend messing with it if anyone asked

but to each there own

15. LifeSucceedsDeath

LifeSucceedsDeath Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    ^^No idea whether that was the result of an intolerance to alcohol or the dual dehydrating action of salt & alcohol together, but AFAIK hangovers are due in large part to dehydration, which is obviously increased enormously when imbibing salt/alcohol together. So this is probably a prime example of why you should never drink alcohol "cut" with salt :thumbsup: If your ever that desperate look into [buying juice and yeast and] making your own alcohol extremely easily and cheaply. And without having your kidneys fail.

Where I live some markets sell cooking wine without salt at percentages up to 17%, but I've never tried drinking or cooking with it...:confused: I can't dismiss all products as wastes, but if your cooking with wine it's very likely that you drink as well, so you'd likely have much better wine already - plus you don't usually need to add much to dishes.

This has got me somewhat curious again about the 17% wine I saw the other day though, maybe I'll grab a bottle sometime :beer

LSD

16. Gordon_Alles-Sternbach

Gordon_Alles-Sternbach Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I've gotta admit I drank a bottle of it when I was younger and didn't have as much people who could get me alcohol. I got pretty drunk and didn't really have a hangover the next day (although a few hours after waking up I got a headache and can't really tell whether that was part of the hangover). Even though it obviously didn't taste good I really didn't mind the taste that much either, it didn't seem all that much worse to me than some low quality whiskey but then again I have a high tolerance for bad tasting shit/poor sense of smell (I only drink coffee black and liquor straight and often mix them). I still wouldn't recommend doing it though considering the salt content that might cause problems with your blood pressure and kidneys and the dehydrating effect of all that salt that might make a hangover worse (last I remember the stuff I got had like 8% your daily value of sodium per serving and there was sixteen servings in a bottle).

Gordon_Alles-Sternbach added 2 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

I made some homemade wine at around the same time I did that and it was definitely more worth it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  17. la fee brune

la fee brune Turd Kicker Titanium Member Sponsor

Reputation Points:
    from Cowtown
    I agree with the previous poster about making homemade wine. Besides the initial expense of buying the equipment, wine-making is pretty cheap (and easy). I've seen wine kits for as little as fifty or sixty dollars. It's been a little while since I made my last batch of wine, but if my memory serves me correctly, I got about thirty bottles from the kit. You can't beat that. :)

18. Gordon_Alles-Sternbach

Gordon_Alles-Sternbach Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    yeah, I made probably about 5 gallons of wine and I don't think any of the equipment or ingredients I used cost me more than $30 in all (mostly for the 5 gallon bucket, which is definitely reusable) yet if I would have sold it seems like I could have probably filled 20 or so wine bottles and gotten about 10 dollars for each of them. I actually added B1 to the mixture after finding out (via this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1265519/pdf/biochemj00986-0048.pdf) which showed that thiamine caused a dose-dependent increase in the rate of fermentation of yeast and even though I had nothing to measure the alcohol content with, it began to smell like alcohol and less like yeast within about a day or two after adding the B1. The B1 supplements probably had some binders in the pill that could've interfered with the fermentation but I was sixteen and back then I wouldn't have an idea how to do some sort of extraction/recrystallization to isolate the B1.

19. Rare_Curiosities

Rare_Curiosities Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Go ahead, judge me, but I go through some alcoholic episodes. When I've been a bit desprete I have been known to down a bottle silly, salty, cooking sherry. I have no qualms about admitting this because although a little gross, it isn't illegal.

That being said an old aqataince (do we still say SWIM?) used to be given way more food stamps than she needed, so if I was low on cash and in need of a buzz she'd buy me some Cooking Sherry. This generous person also educated me in the following; yes mouthwash will get you drunk, but it will feel like there's a rabid Honey Badger in your stomach for a full week. Vanilla and Almond extract could theoretically get you drunk, but the amounts you'd have to drink would burn a hole in your esophagus.

If down and out, withdrawing from alcohol, or some else nightmareish, I would suggest either A) taking double shots of the stuff and chasing with something sweet and bubbly. Or B) mix it with a sugary fruit juice. I prefer A.

As far as health issues go, yes, if you are this desprete for booze you need a good treatment center. If that's just not going to happen remember; alcohol dehydrates, salty alcohol doublely so. Make sure to super-hydrate and expect some nasty heart burn... Oh, and avoid Ramen Noodles and beef jerky for a day or two.

I'm not necesarrily condoing this behavior, but I believe its good to be informed. People are going to do what they're going to do.

Rare_Curiosities added 55 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

Whoa. I just realized how many typos were in my last post. Apologies.

Rare_Curiosities added 1 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Whoa. I just realized how many typos were in my last post. Apologies.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
Tags: