Drug info - Cough Gels - Gel Coating and Sorbitol

Discussion in 'DXM' started by splish6, Apr 24, 2007.

1. splish6

splish6 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've looked around the forums, but I can't find anyone who's sure about this: Does the liquid stuff inside the gels have the sorbitol in it, or is it just on the coating? Has anyone ever drained the liquid out of the gels and just taken that?

2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    are you allergic to the sorbitol?if not just eat the pills,USFSE and youll find many simmilar thereads,well not about the sorbitol but about the pills

3. splish6

splish6 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well, from what I've read, sorbitol has made a lot of people swallowing all those cough gels puke (or maybe it's the gel coating itself, I don't know), and I don't think it had anything to do with allergies.

4. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The gel coating is probably gelatine and not offensive.

As far as I know, there is no info around whether the sorbitol is in the coating or inside the gel cap. Sorbitol in the coating seems unlikely though.

Since sorbitol is a glucose analog with a sweet taste, it can possibly be detected. A few caps are opened and the inside removed from the coating. The coating/insides can be then tasted separately to determine which one tastes sweet (and that should have the sorbitol in it).

5. splish6

splish6 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Just found this:

"Some transparent gels can only be made with sorbitol as it has a refractive index sufficiently high for transparent formulations."
    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol

Does this mean it's probably in the gel coating? Just to make it transparent?

6. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't know what they mean by 'some transparent gels can only be made with sorbitol'. The sorbitol may be inside, in the gelatine, or in both.

I repeat, trying to taste the capsules might reveal the location of the sorbitol.