coughing

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by searcher, Jul 9, 2005.

1. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Swim rarely coughs. I have been smoking 35 years.
    My buddys cough.

Do you stifle your cough reflex ?

2. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've always had a pretty bad cough, I guess my throat is pretty sensitive to marijuana smoke.

I also get a sniffly-itchy nose almost everytime I smoke. Maybe I'm slightly allergic?

Edited by: NHansen

3. pokeymcsmot420

pokeymcsmot420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swim still coughs almost daily, usually smoking with groups of people and multiple things being passed around.....

I think its because of all of the different pipes and joints hitting differently, some hit harder some softer etc etc so you dont know exactly how hard to pull on each one with multiples goin around, that and of course the less time between each toke

4. dletterman

dletterman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Since SWIM began smoking daily he very rarely coughs but like NHansen hisnose does get stuffy after larger sessions

5. kj_hash420

kj_hash420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from Canada
    depends how often i smoke, if i haven't smoked for a week or more, i will be more likely to start coughing while smoking, but if i am smoking non stop for a couple days, it will eventually go away

6. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I Vaporize ... No Smoke, very little Coughing.

When I smoke a joint, I frequently feel the urge to cough. Over the years I have learned (pretty well) to stop that impulse.

When I bang off of a Bong, that urge gets real strong; but most of those times I styfle it too (usually with a smile, or a soft laugh). One trick I use (if I have it available) is, take a sip of Gatorade before each Hit. My throat is moist, I've already used my throat-muscle to swollow, it is exercised, and so it is less-likely to want to cough. Nice Throat.

The last couple years, though, I have Vaporized most of my pot. When I take a Hit, if I feel that familiar cough coming, I stop Hitting. Then, in a few seconds I am back-to-normal; I finish my Hit. Exhale gratefully. Hit again ... and again. Practice makes perfect.

Another trick: When my throat calls out, I focus my attention on something else ... something good. Then I forget I wanted to cough. In a few seconds the urge is gone; then I bask in the Fun thought. Hold it. Hold it some more. Mmm. Blow it out.

7. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Same with me. I dont smoke cigarettes, so its easy for my loungs to get re-sensetive after a break from smoking.

8. MescalinePirate

MescalinePirate Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Only when spotting. But rarely.

9. Chaote

Chaote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If i feel the cough coming on i grab on to something and squeeze it hard as hell and surpress it.
    Probably not healthy but were i smoke i dont want smoke going were its not sposed to.
    But if im at a party or something i cough when ever i feel the slightest tingle, ever scene "Jackie Brown" Coughing gets you higgher

10. polloloco001

polloloco001 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    i never cough. i never did that much. weed smoke is not that harsh and its pretty easy for me to not cough.

11. ohsofrosty

ohsofrosty Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I only cough if it's really bomb weed. Just sitting there puffing some commercial shit doesn't even bring me the urge to cough. Weed smoke is a heack of alot easier for me to take than tobacco smoke. But when it's that bomb-bomb stuff that makes your chest nearly cave in almost immediately upon inhaling, yeah, then I cough a bit. Where I'm from, you're considered a "chief-a" if you don't cough (there are alot of natives (Amer. Indians)where I'm from).

12. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I cough if the gear is particularly potent when smoked in a pipe/bong.

I think it could be a bad sign if you smoke a lot and rarely cough. Perhaps the lack of coughing means that you have a wall of filth lining your throat so you don't react to it like a normal person with clean lungs would.

Heavy cigarette smokers (20+ a day) go through a period of detox when they attempt to give up. The first few weeks involved coughing your lungs out, and that's followed by diarrhoea, sweats, nausea and even nightmares.

13. bushman

bushman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I still always cough when using a bong (especially G-Bong) but that's what makes me cool man!! [​IMG]

14. als5555

als5555 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i always cough on the ex hale. it always hith that special spot in my throat and sends my flying. i don't smoke every day though, my friends who do have less of one, i am not positive but i bet that you build up resistance the more you do it,

15. antigenesis

antigenesis Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I haven't coughed in a long ass time, but for those who do cough and
    when I do, there's always the good saying "cough to get off" man, and
    how true it is.

I remember this one time like a year ago, I ripped a HUGE bongload of
    some pretty good shit and coughed my lungs up for a good 3-5 minutes,
    ending up HIGH from that one hit.

Edited by: antigenesis