Culture - Covering that darn Tobacco Smell

Discussion in 'Tobacco' started by DiabolicScheme, Aug 14, 2011.

1. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I know I'm not the only one that prefers to not smell like smoke all the time (and I know its not just the kids smoking behind their parents backs) So I am opening this thread in hopes to give tips as well as receive tips in covering up the smell of tobacco, which is challenging to say the least.

Obviously the best method is to Quit unfortunately smoking is a very hard habit to break. I was smoke free for 4 years and just recently (foolishly) started back up again.

If you are reading this and contemplating using this to start a habit and hide it DO NOT START, trust me you are not missing out on anything. Only thing you are missing is a week of feeling light headed and nauseous and a potential life-long addiction.

Here are some of mine:

(1) Cover Your Clothes : Use of a light weight jacket, pull over, or even a long sleeve shirt, This is a good method to keep the smoke from clinging to your clothes. When going to do the dirty leave a jacket or shirt in your car and wear this every time you smoke, then simply remove it when you are done. I use this method in the car mostly.
    Positive: Keeps the smell off the clothes underneath quite well
    Negative: Can be inconvenient and not always available at the time you wish to smoke.

(2) Cologne/Body Spray : This goes without saying, though I suggest using it before smoking and very little after because this can be a red flag to others. Don't overuse it, you don't want to smell like you took a bath in it.
    Positive: Can cover very well if used correctly
    Negative: Can set off a red flag if excessively used, especially if this cologne and body spray is new to the people around you.

(3) Lemon or Oranges + Fragrance Hand Sanitizer or Scented hand wash or Scented Lotion : Use one of these to get the smell off your hands, I personally use the little lemon bottles you can find by the fruit at the local grocery store. I use this liberaly and follow with some strongly scented Hand Sanitizer (Kroger brand with Aloe). If you can wash your hands this would probably work better but this isn't very convenient compared to lotion/sanitizer/citrus.

(4) Windows down, AC/Heater full blast : If smoking in the car make sure ALL the windows are down and the AC/Heater is on full blast this minimizes the amount of smell in the car. Really don't recommend smoking in the car at all as it just creates another problem that has to be covered.

(5) Wipe the steering wheel and dash : No matter how hard you try the chances are that ashes will get on the dash and the smell may get on the steering wheel. Wipe 'em down when you are done. I have a micro-fiber cloth in my door to use on the dash and it works quite well in this situation.

(6) Smoke Outside! : This goes without saying, the more open the environment the less smoke gets attached to you and the area around you. This means less effort needed to cover yourself and less effort to cover your environment such as the car.

(7) Use nicotine gum/smokeless tobacco : Most are probably not going to be on with this one, but these are both obviously easier to hide and also better for your health. Use of snus is the recommended kind of smokeless tobacco as it has the least amount of cancer causing elements and doesn't require spitting. If switching to nicotine gum it would probably be a good time to try to use this opportunity to quit.

Any other suggestions let's hear 'em!

2. MikePatton

MikePatton Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from israel
    The only times I make an effort to cover up tobacco smell is when dating someone who can't stand it. Like you said, using nicotine gum is the best method to do this, it's really annoying but if she's worth it then I don't mind it.

One tip to add to your list - try smoking Menthols, they're really not that bad once you get used to them and smell is greatly reduced.

3. TooFastTim

TooFastTim Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o from U.S.A.
    Mouth wash and or chewing gum are a must no one likes a smokers breath. Wash your hands and face hand sanitizer will do in a pinch but masking is no good you just smell or smoke and fragrance smoking outside is important in some cases you may have to smoke indoors smoke by a door or window Don't chain smoke its gross and you get yellow fingers

4. sunsun34

sunsun34 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    My man hates the smell of smoke but loves me! I do what I can to make it as inoffensive as possible

I always twist my hair up and put a hat on to reduce the smell on hair. Even in the summer

I find that smoke tends to stick the most in winter, rainy or very humid days and try to avoid smoking around him on days like these

Smoke smell adheres to hair spray, make up, facial creams etc. I wait until after I smoke to apply make up or wash my face and re apply after smoking

Some mens aftershave balm (I don't mean cologne but the stuff that closes the pores) applied to finger tips helps actually remove the smell . Apply and rub in before washing hands

Floss every single day. The smell can get stuck in hidden plaque (did anyone say OCD?)

My old hair dresser had what we called the OJ Simpson! It was a Leather glove she would wear when smoking at work so clients couldn't smell it on her hand! She would have on a cute sundered and a glove. It was so funny

Lastly, there is a dry shampoo that sprays on like aerosol hairspray that my friend swears by. I haven't tried it yet though.

I like these kinds of threads. They are entertaining!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. Dashneo

Dashneo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't smoke tobacco products but my pet guinea pig does smoke weed. a good way to clear smoke smell out of a car or room is to use a strong incense stick that you like. When he can't get outside to smoke he opens a window and uses incense while smoking. Nobody has said anything about it to him about it and his room never smells like smoke. Of course people might get suspicious if they find out your using incense because some people consider them "drug paraphernalia". My guinea pig just tells people that he uses them to freshen up the room because they are cheaper than air fresheners.

6. Balzafire

Balzafire Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    62 y/o from U.S.A.
    If you must smoke in your car, be sure the ac/heater vent is set to fresh air rather than recirculate.
    If it's on recirculate, the smell will collect on the ac coils (active in defrost mode as well) and you will smell that shit the next time you turn on the fan.
    If you set it to fresh air while you are smoking and the window is open a bit, you won't have that problem.

7. A guy

A guy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    60 y/o from U.S.A.
    I switched to an e-cigarette. I bought it for myself for Christmas 2010. I have a wife and two daughters. I started using it and cheated with real cigs here and there for about 2-3 months, and finally decided I was tired of SMELLING, and I wanted to quit. Well, I haven't had a real cig for 4-5 months now, but still using the e-cig. It's much cheaper, and I DON'T STINK! lol I can smoke in the same room with them, and they only notice a slight smell, but with some air flow (a fan moving air around the room), they don't smell it all all.

I feel much better. More energy. I don't feel like I am dying after walking up a flight of stairs, or shooting a few hoops with the kids.

Just a thought for you. :)

8. m000nman

m000nman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I use an e cig these days too and highly recommend it. but if you prefer the real deal a good way to cover the smell (at least the smell on your hands) is toothpaste. no joke. after smoking i would wash my hands with some toothpaste and warm water an theres not a trace of tobacco smell afterwards

9. Chunkerz

Chunkerz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have an electronic cigarette too (much better than real cigs in my opinion), but I still smoke real cigarettes from time to time. I find that Dial hand sanitizer works amazingly for getting the smell off my hands (I've never tried tooth paste. That seems kinda messy).

10. m000nman

m000nman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    washing your hands with toothpaste is no messier then using soap, and it gets the smell off entirely, leaving your hands smelling vaguely minty :)

11. Chunkerz

Chunkerz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'll have to try that next time I smoke a cigarette. How hard is it to wash the toothpaste off? It seems like it may stick to your skin and make your hands all gross and sticky.

12. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    if you are a consistent smoker, there really is nothing you can do aside from take a shower, brush your teeth, use mouth wash, and wear clean clothes, to completely not smell like smoke. when i was in rehab for three months i was amazed by how much the staff who smoked REEKED like cigs. i dated a girl for three years and was a pack and a half a day smoker the whole time and she didn't smoke. i am planning on quitting smoking before the year is over. ive never tried before but am very determined to stop. i recently quit opiates and am on methadone now, im going to try chantix to stop. i stopped smoked weed once i got on my methadone with no problem, but you dont walk down the street and see people smoking weed all over, and you cant buy a pack of joints at the gas station, so i know its different, but am confident i will be able to.

im sick of smelling disgusting to all non smokers. if you didn't know, anyone who does not smoke finds the smell of cigarettes absolutely revolting, they really do. i hate the fact that when i meet a girl the first thing she thinks is how i smell like garbage and its totally disgusting to her. im also excited to be able to work out again.

anyway all the mints and cologne is not going to fool anyone, they will just think "this smoker smells like a french whore in addition to cigarettes". not being an ass or anything, im a smoker and am glad im aware how bad i smell. just another reason to quit.

13. m000nman

m000nman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Good for you, I wish you luck with quitting. And I agree with alot of what you said. When I was younger id always shower after every single cig to avoid my parents noticing the smell. Though I don't agree that ALL non smokers are repulsed by the smell. In my opinion, im gonna smoke, an if some girl who would otherwise be attracted to me if I smelled better doesn't like it, tough, I am who I am. But some non smokers actually seem to like it, whether its the smell or just the "badass" image, I do not know. Personally, I enjoyed the smell of a classy cigarette before I began smoking.

14. Chunkerz

Chunkerz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I wish you luck as well. Quitting can greatly reduce risks to your health. I tried to quit once, but I didn't have the aid of any stop smoking products. Eventually the urge to smoke/easiness of acquiring tobacco overpowered me and I just gave up because I just don't care about the risks. Hopefully the aid of Chantix will help you quit!

15. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    thanks all. the desire to not smell like smoke and have to leave bars/social situations to smoke is the main reason i want to quit. im tired of people smelling my breath and finding it gross and am tired of worrying about when i can smoke while i work. its a pain in the ass and has kept me from getting laid more than a few times. im going to plan when i quit, and be prepared. not gonna just say fuck it i quit out of the blue and then relapse. im at a point where im not under all the much stress, been on methadone for about 5 months and get 6 take homes a week so i only have to go to the clinic once a week (its a 120 mile round trip). im at a point where i need to change life styles and quitting smoking will help a lot. thanks for all the support, but none the less lets keep the thread on topic.

i really just wanted to mention that to non smokers, you reek like smoke. the smell really is unbelievable how strong it is.

16. Addie Daddy

Addie Daddy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    In my experience rolling all the windows down and putting on the air full blast only makes it worse. Ashes are flying all over the place and the smoke seems to as well.

What I find best is to crack the driver window ONLY. if you do this you'll notice the smoke gets sucked out when the car is in motion, ashes are co troll able, and when you exhale you are controlling exactly where it goes as well. Then I usually follow up with 2 windows down for air flow and the fan on full blast. Works perfect except during bad weather and when Idling for long periods of time.

17. Jupiter Spider

Jupiter Spider Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was just recently prescribed Chantix, and I've been taking it for a week. I used it two years ago to quit and had great success with it, but started smoking again six months ago and I just can't afford it, not to mention all the negative health effects. Before I started taking the Chantix, I pretty much never remembered my dreams because I smoke a fairly decent amount of cannabis. This seems to diminish the "incredibly bizarre and disturbing dreams" effect that people report. Since starting the Chantix, I've noticed that I've had a greater amount of dream recall, mostly in the form of "remembering" things that happened earlier and then realizing I must have dreamed them.

Chantix works really well to diminish both the cravings for and withdrawal from nicotine, as well as making it so that cigarettes grow increasingly less pleasurable. I did notice earlier tonight that I was feeling bizarrely depressed and dysphoric, but that could be related to any number of other things going on in my life. Stay tuned, I guess.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  18. Jazzgoblin

Jazzgoblin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    My invisble green hamster would like to add that he never noticed the smell of tobbaco until he smoked weed. After enjoying how good mary j smells tabacco started to taste and smell like what it is: toxic smoke - and now he finally understands how bad he smells to non-smokers. Unfortunatly this does require him to smoke weed fairly constantly and so isn't really a viable option for quitting. As far as covering up the smell goes, only successful ways I've found are to wear a jacket or shirt that I can just take off when I think someone might be bothered by it or just not to smoke when I have critical company.

Tags: