Drug info - Cumbrias Growing Cocaine Problem

Discussion in 'Cocaine & Crack' started by Bladerunner, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Source: BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cumbria/5262932.stm

anewsimg.bbc.co.uk_media_images_41813000_jpg__41813838_ap203bodypack.jpg The cost of cocaine has fallen drastically in recent years.

The popularity of cocaine in North Cumbria is growing at an alarming rate, according to police.
    The number of people arrested for cocaine possession in the first six months of 2006, compared to same period the previous year, has risen by 50%.
    Carlisle's rapidly expanding nightlife economy is partially fuelling the demand, and drugs gangs are becoming increasingly violent, said police.
    Arrests for supplying cocaine have more than quadrupled since 2005.
    Cumbria Police said knives have been used in disputes between rival drugs factions and, although no guns appear to have been used, a CS gas canister and an imitation firearm have been recovered.
    anewsimg.bbc.co.uk_shared_img_o.gif anewsimg.bbc.co.uk_nol_shared_img_v3_start_quote_rb.gif I think the violence is attributable to the amount of money that it's possible to make by selling this drug anewsimg.bbc.co.uk_nol_shared_img_v3_end_quote_rb.gif

Det Insp Stewart Jardine, Cumbria Police

Det Insp Stewart Jardine said: "Intelligence would suggest cocaine supplies directly linked to the night-time economy and there appears to be the opportunity for those involved to make a substantial amount of money in a short period of time.
    "There's no question about it - certain people seem to have access to flash cars, the best clothes, and they're not working to fund this lifestyle.
    "We've had several violent instances over recent months and a lot that are never reported.
    "I think the violence is attributable to the amount of money that it's possible to make by selling this drug."
    In the first six months of 2005, there were 51 cocaine arrests - 44 for possession, and seven for supply.
    For the same period in 2006, 74 arrests had been made, with more than 30 being supply-related.
    Falling costs have made cocaine more available to those with lower incomes, according to drugs workers. Cumbria Police said they knew who the dealers were and were working to bring the growing problem under control.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
  2. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    LOL. I thought "growing cocaine problem" meant "a problem with people growing cocaine", as in coca plants dotten around cumbria. That would have been a much better news story, and much better for all the cocaine enthusiasts out there, cumbria is much closer than columbia.

3. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Nice one!

Hadn't thought of it that way. The climate in Cumbria is a hell of a lot different than what it is in Columbia. Not that I've ever been to Columbia - or want to for that matter....

4. Me-and-my-monkey

Me-and-my-monkey Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    LOL. I thought "growing cocaine problem" meant "a problem with people growing cocaine", as in coca plants dotten around cumbria. That would have been a much better news story, and much better for all the cocaine enthusiasts out there, cumbria is much closer than columbia

Dear Alan Titchmarsh

My next door neighbour has been trying to grow coca plants in his greenhouse since May. He has built a small mountain which rises, I think, to 6000 feet and he has asked his brother in law to dress as an Andean gardener to tend his crop.

So far, his crop has been disappointing. In fact, as far as I can tell his tomato plants are out-growing his coca plants by thirty inches to one.

My question is this: Should he be using John Innes compost and how often should he be watering the plants? Mrs Ackroyd from number seventy-two has been watering them for him whilst his gardener is on holiday and I am concerned because she missed watering them on both Tuesday and Friday evenings.

My neighbour's long-term intention is to support a lifestyle of flash cars and expensive clothes. Since he was laid off from the soap factory he has been finding that his welfare cheque has only been allowing him a seven year old Hyundai Pony and clothes from Millets. I know he has his eye on Mrs Lovejoy (divorced) at the Post Office and he believes that smart new outfits from Burtons will give him a beter chance. He has also stated that he wouldn't mind a new Hyundai Accent. I think they call it bling. But I am not sure I approve when he says "dat Lovejoy hoe she gonna be my biatch"

Many thanks for an early response.

Mrs Bootle, Dunroamin, Gasworks Street, Carlisle.

5. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    ^^^ LOL (even more) Rather suspect that this one will pass the international members by though!

6. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Heh-heh! Also had visions of 12 foot mutant coca plants stalking the fields around Windscale (Sellafield before it was re-branded) chopping up & snorting humans. A Certain Mouse is off to the Lakes this weekend, & will certainly be keeping his eyes open for these monsters!