Cyberpunk implants in your fingers.

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by fnord, Mar 30, 2007.

1. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    wonder how much this costs?

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mods/news/2006/06/71087

A Sixth Sense for a Wired World
    Quinn Norton 06.07.06 | 2:00 AM
    Steve Haworth holds up a rare earth magnet with his magnetic implant. View Slideshow
    Steve Haworth holds up a rare earth magnet with his magnetic implant. View Slideshow

What if, seconds before your laptop began stalling, you could feel the hard drive spin up under the load? Or you could tell if an electrical cord was live before you touched it? For the few people who have rare earth magnets implanted in their fingers, these are among the reported effects -- a finger that feels electromagnetic fields along with the normal sense of touch.

It's been described as a buzzing sensation, a tingling, an oscillation, movement, pure stimulation and, in the case of body-modification expert Shannon Larrett's encounter with a too-powerful antitheft gateway at a retail store, "Like sticking your hand in an ultrasonic cleaner."

Body-mod artists Jesse Jarrell and Steve Haworth's original idea was to implant a magnet to carry metal gadgets. It turns out that doesn't work: If you try to carry something magnetic on your implant regularly, the pinched skin between the magnets dies and your body rejects the implant. But they came up with a new application when a mutual friend suffered an accident that left a shard of iron in his finger. He worked with audio equipment, and found that he could tell which speakers were magnetized from the sensation that passed through his finger at close range.

That gave Jarrell and Haworth a new direction: Could they obtain that effect deliberately, extending the sense of touch into a sense of magnetism?

Todd Huffman, a graduate student at Arizona State University with a background in neuroscience, joined the project and brainstormed with Jarrell and Haworth about how, and where, to best implant a powerful magnet. He helped come up with the most effective design for an implant, and eventually became the first recipient. "The fingertip was chosen because of the high nerve density, and because the hands are constantly interacting with the environment, increasing the chances of sensing electromagnetism in the world," Huffman says.

"We chose the ring finger primarily because of its size and relatively low importance in gripping action, so there was plenty of room for the implant and a lower chance of physically damaging the implant," Huffman explains. Jarrell puts it more bluntly, writing about the procedure in a BMEZine article from March: "'If you had to lose or seriously damage one of your fingers, which would it be?' This was our answer." But nobody's finger fell off, and Huffman's results were better than they'd imagined.

According to Huffman, the magnet works by moving very slightly, or with a noticeable oscillation, in response to EM fields. This stimulates the somatosensory receptors in the fingertip, the same nerves that are responsible for perceiving pressure, temperature and pain. Huffman and other recipients found they could locate electric stovetops and motors, and pick out live electrical cables. Appliance cords in the United States give off a 60-Hz field, a sensation with which Huffman has become intimately familiar. "It is a light, rapid buzz," he says.

I took a trip to Phoenix to have Haworth implant a magnet in me last September. Because body-mod artists are not medical practitioners, ice was the only anesthetic available. My finger was soaked in ice water until it began to hurt. After that, Haworth acted quickly to get as much of the implant done as possible while my hand was still numb from the cold.

The initial cut did hurt, but not unbearably. He sliced open my finger with a standard scalpel, inserted a tool to make a gap for the magnet, and tried to insert the magnet in one nonstop motion. The insertion didn't work, and he widened the cut and tried again. This time it worked, and he closed the cut with a single suture. The suture was the most painful step -- an indicator that the cold "anesthetic" had worn off. The process took less than 10 minutes. My finger was slightly swollen and sported a blue, knotted plastic thread.

When we were done we sat in Haworth's living room. He brought out a magnet and handed it to me. I brought it near my finger and felt the magnet move for the first time up against the raw inside of my finger. I startled visibly, and Haworth grinned. "Welcome to your new sense," he said.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    imagine this in your genitals!!!!!!!!!

3. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I wouldn't imagine getting this implant himself. It sounds kind of strange, it just seems as more proof to SWIM that the human race as a whole are moving dangerously towards trying to become part machine and thats not what evolution is about

4. nelix

nelix Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from Australia
    Not a far stretch, I know many people with beads in there genitals, it would proberbly work better then fingers.

I know 3 people who had magnetic implants in there fingers, all of them have had them removed due to the silicon coating rupturing :(

Theres some good texts about it on bmezine, search for magnet.

For convenience I will post some links.

http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20060401.html
    http://www.bmezine.com/news/guest/20060331.html
    http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20060115.html
    http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20040226.html

There are some other interesting mods avalable that are less prone to fail that give you extra abilities, for instance, I have a tongue bi-section.

5. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    theres a torrent called bodyhacking where the lady talks aboue how hers shatterd and her docter spent a LONG time trying to get the little bits out yet didint get them all.still I would love to feel the magnetic waves of his keybored pulseing thru his nerves.

6. resistor

resistor Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Seen it, it's intriguing.. I'm pretty much a geek, I must admit. And I wish I had one, even though I know it will cause a load of pain later on.. BTW. Here's a link to the slideshow in the video: http://www.ambiguous.org/quinn/bodyhacking.html

7. Veteran Joker

Veteran Joker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sorry dude, no EM fields from your keyboards. If You had a magnet in their finger they could affect CRT screens, would notice when touching iron/steel, speakers, door bells, electric toothbrushes, hairdryers, drills (although most people hold those by the pistol grip, and the EM field produced by the motor might not be sufficent)

The thing which would put swim off of this procedure is it's cosmetic surgery, and most cosmetic surgeons would not do the procedure. The fingers are very sensitive and anasthetic would be necessary.

8. Habit

Habit Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    As a child, Lord Girth was scared by a story, spun by his Manic father, that told of a day when the government would force the people to have cybernetic implants in order to control the population through invasive electronic mind manipulation. At some point, the Mark of the Beast and serial numbers, came into play. Girth is currently stoned off that bone from Indian Jones, so his memory is compromised.

9. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There is a new generation of magnetic implants in development as we speak. PTFE encapsulated Sumarium Colbalt magnets should be able to resist the immune system attacks that led to the early implants breaking down. To avoid physical damage alternate sites could be considered. I'm looking at getting a pair right behind or in front of my ears, maybe lateral to my eyes. Of course another possibility would be to use microdermal implants with external magnets.

Love.
    Potter.

10. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Unless there have been major developments in PTFE I doubt it. Certain old nestmates of A Certain Mouse experimented with PTFE body-mods in various sites, sizes & guages a while ago under the supervision of a very experienced, knowledgeable & renowned piercer, & nothing but pus & pain come of it I'm afraid. Even with good diet, abstinence from alcohol & other drugs & a sensible cleaning regime neither implants nor bars took & all were heartily rejected.

11. ganjaman

ganjaman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    can cyborgs get high?

12. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

someones never watched futorama...i think tecnicly a cyborg/robot should be able to feel anything its programed to feel.

13. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Something similar happened to me. I got beat pretty badly one night at a bar and the doctor told me I would have to have a testicle removed because "kjdsfkjhkjfdio" in short that meant "it popped." They removed tissue and put in an iron nut with a silicon casing. Little did I know what would happen next, I spent time at an internship with MRIs around alot of equipment that pulsed electromagnetic fields and found myself slightly drawn to it when it was turned on even from several rooms away and in the control room. After about 6 weeks of going to my job daily, the stiches were removed and sexual function was back! One day after getting out of the shower I sat on a chair and after I got up and noticed a paper clip had stuck, thought it was sticking to the skin but something was different. So I thought aboutmy internship working with MRI machines and the fact that I had Iron in me. Hmm i thought. *lightbulb above head* I was like "wtf no way" and picked up the paper clip again, held it out arms length away from my body, and dropped it. Sure enough, as it fell it changed directions and I was startled and jumped back a bit when it hit my scrotum, the path of the paper clip was like a non-linear curve. The doctor's know about it but I refuse to let them operate on my genitalia again. I have to be sure it doesn't get too close to the laptop because it could ruin the screen. Also with women I have to make sure they don't have any piercings, the buzzing sensation isn't uncomfortable but occasionally pierced nipples will aim themselves toward my genitalia. The only time it hurts is when there is a large metal object behind me or other magnets are around. If I'm going to be around alot of metal I wear compression shorts and a strap. I learned to do this after going back to the internship with my fly open and when they turned the MRI on sure enough someone pointed out that my nut was "out of my pants". It buzzes all the time, not too distinct from goosebumps and I have trouble with airport security and such but eventually I just whip it out for them and tell them to run a wand over it. It is definitely more arousing and adds to sexual stimulii.
    So I do not have to imagine. :D

14. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Non-linear curve!

[​IMG]

15. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium

A friend had his leg scanned. It temporarily borked his computer

16. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i don't understand, what do you mean? did he have screws in his leg?

17. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    He must have gotten an MRI scan or somesuch, and when he was near his computer his monitor started showing distortion.

18. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    my monitor does that alot but for other reasons...

19. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    By the way, I did not actually have that testicle procedure, it was an elaborate lie. Was it too good?..or just not funny?

20. uglycasanova

uglycasanova Newbie

Reputation Points:
    fnord, i almost didn't see you there. thanks for posting this. definitely the most interesting thread i've read this morning.