1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Cymbalta and sex drive

Discussion in 'Sex and Drugs' started by cymbaltian, Jan 29, 2010.

1. cymbaltian

cymbaltian Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Well... with me Cymbalta works really well.
    But for my partner... not that well.
    I have zero libido, not interested in the thing any more (for month now).

Doctors here in Canada don't know much about Cymbalta which is pretty new on the Canadian market.

And... of course, since Cymbalta works well, I'm really scared to change.

Any advice?

AND NO ! A new partner is not an option... ;)

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Yeah, post in the proper forum, don;t just click on the first available link....

3. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    Ditto what Potter said, please post in the correct forum.

Moved to sex and drugs.

4. chilliker

chilliker Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    SWIM also lost his sex drive while taking Cymbalta and then for other reasons he moved to Effexor and still had the same issue with sex drive. On the other hand his girlfriend and any other lady he had sex with really enjoyed it since he could go hours having fast hard intercourse. After SWIM was cured of his depression and stop taking the pills he slowly got his sex drive back and now it seems to be more sensitive than ever. Which is not always good since SWIM now only lasts a few minutes at intercourse. If SWIY wants to just ejaculate then its bad, but if SWIY is looking to please your partner better, not so bad.

On a side note SWIM never got to fully understand why he lost his sex drive, was it the medication or the depression itself? Since SWIM lost his sex drive before he started taking medication and started getting it back before he stopped.

Hopes this helps.

5. La1975

La1975 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I've lost sex drive from Cymbalta, which I'm currently on and on other drugs which I can't remember right now. I've also wondered if the depression itself plays more of a role than the meds, like the above poster. I know lately I'm a little less depressed, not dating anyone but have a crush and feel less turned-on than I *should* around someone I like.

6. Ilsa

Ilsa Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from Tennessee, U.S.A.
    kitten has been on both venlafaxine (effexor) and duloxetine (cymbalta) and has experienced similar issues... the major difference between these two antidepressants and others is that they have norepinephrine reuptake inhibition properties, although venlafaxine does not exhibit it until one gets to doses of 250 mg and up, where side effects become a problem for many. duloxetine has ssri and snri properties at the beginning (20mg) dose, ten times less than that of the former, and thus less likely to induce nasty side effects.

still though, kitten has found that it affects sex drive almost as much as high doses of venlafaxine; she is tapering off of duloxetine, VERY slowly, and is down to about 5 mgs a day, and still lacks much interest, but has had a much less difficult time comin off of duloxetine than she did venlafaxine, which was very difficult to come off of, even with a long, slow taper.

in short: both seem to negatively affect sex drive, and if one wants it back by getting offf of the meds as LONG, SLOW TAPER is essential, especially with venlafaxine, as one can become dysphoric and even suicidal alarmingly fast.

be safe and good luck!

7. La1975

La1975 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I did not realize (and do not understand why) the self-incriminating rules applied to a prescribed medication taken as prescribed, every other post I've used SWIM. :s

La1975 added 3 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

Also, if I was self-incriminating the OP was too.

La1975 added 178 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

From re-reading the rules I've found I would not be self-incriminating if I had stated in my original post that the medicine is prescribed and only taken as prescribed. I'm not trying to argue this, just do not understand it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  8. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Off topic, but I thought this important to clarify. LA1975, the OP never actually stated that he was taking cymbalta, unlike you, read carefully. The line in which you self-incriminated was "which I'm currently on and on other drugs which I can't remember right now". And it's typically not acceptable to admit to the use of any substance whether it's prescribed for you or not. Just always avoid self-incrimination. It's the best way. And the OP was borderline with self-incrimination. Just avoid it altogether, it makes it easier on everyone involved. Thanks.