Dangers of DMT

Discussion in 'DMT and Ayahuasca' started by vantranist, Jul 29, 2006.

1. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from antigua_and_barbuda
    Ive searched the web/forum for a while and everything leads up to DMT having no longterm damage (besides mabye inhaling the smoke) However ive heard things about mixing it with certain food can be very bad for you I.E. Red wine...

Ive heard people should fast(sp) before taking the drug to reduce risk.

anyone have any insight?

2. max_freakout

max_freakout Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I think you're referring to MAO inhibitors (the other ingredient in ayahuasca) not DMT freebase, there's a long list of dietary restrictions with MAOIs but not with DMT, red wine and a whole bunch of other foods/drugs dont mix well with MAOIs be very careful

1. 5/5,
      Good answer
      Jul 29, 2006
  3. TheAngryGolfer

TheAngryGolfer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    the normal usage of DMT is quite small amounts, with infrequent use. unless you were dealing with a very toxic chemical, this type of use of anything would have very little danger.

I suppose if you smoked alot of it every day it would have some negative effects on the lungs. ths smoke is quite harsh and I would think it has to be damaging to the lungs.

4. ooah

ooah Newbie

Reputation Points:
    probly a dumb Q but what are MAOIs?

5. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    No such thing as a dumb question on this forum (well there is, but not when it comes to things that affect your health).

MAOIs are Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors. They are a class of antidepressant drugs that also occur in nature. They work by inhibiting monoamine oxidase (as you can infer from the name). What this does is prevent the deamination of certain substances in the brain such as seratonin, melatonin, adrenaline, noradrenaline, and dopamine, which increases the stores.

MAOIs are also important, however, in their interaction with certain drugs. With substances like DMT (which is inactive orally) MAOIs allow the drug to take effect when it normally wouldn't. They can also increase the effects of certain drugs that are already effective when taken orally, such as magic mushrooms.

Here are some safety precautions to take while using MAOIs that I got from erowid.

Avoid mixing MAOIs and SSRIs.
    This can lead to serotonin syndrome and can be dangerous.

Do not mix MAOIs with Stimulants (including MDMA).
    This can lead to hypertensive crisis and can be deadly.

SSRIs in Combination with MDMA
    Generally reduces the effects of the MDMA significantly.

SSRIs in Combination with Psychedelics
    Generally reduce the effects of the psychedelic a bit.

MAOIs in Combination with Psychedelics
    Generally increase the effects of the psychedelic significantly. Be extremely careful.

SSRIs
    Strong SSRIs are significantly more common than MAOIs. Many commonly prescribed pharmaceutical anti-depressants are SSRIs, including Prozac (Fluoxetine), Paxil (Paroxetine), Zoloft (Sertraline), Celexa (Citalopram), and Desyrel (Trazodone).

MAOIs
    Strong MAOIs are less common, but include prescription anti-depressants like phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), isocarboxazid (Marplan), l-deprenyl (Eldepryl), moclobemide (Aurorex or Manerix), furazolidone, and pargyline. Ayahuasca also contains MAOIs, generally in the form of Banisteriopsis caapi or Syrian rue (harmine and harmaline).

BajEdit: To the original post, if you are talking about smoking DMT then there are no dietary restrictions I can think of. If you are thinking about ingesting it orally then you possibly want to avoid wine while doing it, but mainly before doing it you want to be sure not to consume other substances that contain MAOIs as they could augment the MAOIs you are already taking and make the DMT trip even stronger than it would be. I am not sure on this though so you should look up the interactions between DMT and MAOIs some more if you are planning on using this route of ingestion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
    1. 3/5,
      good guidance
      Jan 31, 2009
  6. TheAngryGolfer

TheAngryGolfer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    this is kind of off topic but are you the guy who was on some British podcast called the dope fiend or something like that (theres a link to it on wikipedia's DMT page) where you were talking about DMT and had some guy do it for the first time?

if so, I listened to that today and that was some cool shit.

I dunno how that guy was able to give a running commentary during his DMT trip.... but it gave me goosebumps and made me taste DMT smoke (for some reason I get DMT taste flashbacks... I taste it in my mouth at random times)

7. mandy_man

mandy_man Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i heard its possible that some people do random shit, like attack someone or run away, because its like a dream?
    also are there any cases of people never recovering or fucking up their brain?

8. drug-bot

drug-bot Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    dont know about long term effects but swim read the book DMT the spirit molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman and in it one of his test subjects blood pressure got so high the doc and medical assistance thought he might have a heart attack or stroke, the bp got so high they had to expell the subject from any further dmt trials.

so if one has high blood pressure one might be wise to be wary from using it. even though in the book the dmt was delivered through iv, smoking provides nearly as fast onset.

9. loststlyez

loststlyez Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am curious if furazolidone would activate DMT orally .. is it strong enough ?
    SWIM asks this question because furazolidone is the most easily available over the counter MAOI in SWIM's country and if it is efficient..
    Would 25 mg of furazolidone would be enough to activate DMT orally?..
    He wanned to ask this question here because he couldn't find any information about the strength of it (how much of the MAOI-A it inhibits, or at least if it is a partial or full inhibitor ?)
    SWIM really wants to make it orally active because he doesn't like the effects of DMT on he's lungs (smell)...
    I would like to thank you for your answer !

1. 3/5,
      Off-topic. This thread is on "Dangers of DMT", not possible MAOI's to use.
      Jun 1, 2010
  10. PCG IV

PCG IV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from new_zealand
    in Ayahuasca Analogs (sic) Jonathon Ott has a section on using longer lasting MAOIs in place of harmine ("pharmahuasca" but I can't remember what the outcomes were.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  11. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    The only dangers that I have read up on have been that if the DMT is an extracted product, it is possible that the solvent agent (ie. Naptha, Lighter Fluid, etc.) used can leave behind trace amounts upon evaporation. This can collect in the lungs and remain an build up as the body does not want to absorb it causing potential emphasima (spelling?) in the future. That was the only "hypothetical" long term damage that could be found. Although if a proper solvent is used and no trace is left this would be completely avoided.