Darvocet question

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by brown_chunx, Jan 31, 2007.

1. brown_chunx

brown_chunx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I hate to make a whole thread for one simple question, but I have a few Darvocets, and I always thought Darvocets were like percocets (oxycodone), but I looked it up to see how many mg they were, and I can't find anything about oxycodone anywhere.

What do Darvocets have in them? Is it oxycodone? the ones I had are shaped like vicodin and are pink.

2. Son of Axeman

Son of Axeman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Well, short answer, no, Darvocet is not oxycodone. It's an opioid called Dextropropoxyphene, A quick google search tells SWIM that common recreational dosages range from 240 to 420 mgs of Darvocet. It's commonly prescribed for mild to moderate pain (less so in the UK), and it is combined with aceteminophen (paracemetol, Tylenol). Wikipedia tells SWIM that the aceteminophen in recreastional doses of the stuff can cause liver damage, so I would strongly urge You to perform a cold water extraction, if You decides to indulge. Judging by your description of the pills, I would say that You is in possession of the 50/325 pills (Source: rxlist.com, use it next time, dangit!).

Hope I could help.

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Propoxyphene is only slightly water soluble, so a CWE probably wouldn't work that well. You could attempt it, and it would be better than nothing, but keep in mind the yields would be rather low. I would say to probably just avoid takingnmore than directed...if You has a high tolerance it may not be worth taking the propoxyphene at all, since the accompanying acetominophen could lead to some nasty effects on the liver.

4. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    And for SWiYour health's sake do not inject them - embolisms aint fun!

5. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Oh dear, given the huge size of most darvocet pills and the low water solubility of the active drugs in there, that would be asking for a LOT of trouble trying to inject them. Pills arent meant to be injected anyway, but these would be a particularly nasty case.

6. brown_chunx

brown_chunx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yeah... SWIM'll just cook up the pink coating and shoot it as well.

4 at one time should be alright, though?

And BTW, I looked on RXlist, Drug.com (pill id), Google, Google image, and so on. I just thought it had oxy in it.

7. Micklemouse

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Sarcasm I hope;)! Sorry but as this will be read by the world, not just the person asking the question, we've got to be careful - especially so after the Heparin thread where all researched harm reduction & common sense was ignored.

As for the dose, 4 should be fine (4 x 325 = 1300 mg paracetomol/acetominothing). Max recommended dose of paracetomol is 4 grams (4000 mg). Anything above this carries the risk of liver damage, so check anything else that is taken for paracetomol dosage, & do the maths.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  8. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    As said before, since these drugs are not really water soluble, they can't be cooked down and shot. Its practically asking for an embolism. Dont do it!

9. brown_chunx

brown_chunx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    dude, I was just joking. I'd never shoot any pill other than ms/oxy (and I wouldn't even do that ;)). And yes, the Heparin syringe really scared SWIM, but he was getting desperate, and he knew just one use couldn't hurt that bad.

10. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Threads merged. The above thread deals with hydrocodone, but it seems very pertinent to the darvocet thread because of the high amounts of APAP contained in the average darvocet pill, and the nature of the original darvocet post.

11. brown_chunx

brown_chunx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    what are you talking about dr jones? I re-read all the posts to see who you were reffering to, and no one said anything about snorting or shooting hydrocodone. i'm not a fu.king moron, I was using opiates (all of em) for close to 10 years. I know very well not to IV any shit like this, I just threw in a little joke, as i thought micklemouse and FTSL were making.

just because I'm a "newbie" to these forums does NOT mean I'm just a stupid n00b coming here to learn about drugs because I admire them so much. I came here to talk to other people like myself. And learning a thing or two never hurts.

12. Son of Axeman

Son of Axeman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I think that's what he was refering to, although I could be mistaken.

And even if this isn't a misunderstanding, his advice is very good, and should be taken as such. Be cool, he's only trying to make sure nobody dies. Remember, it ins't only you and him, true opiate newbies surf the forums as well, and they need to be informed as to what's going to kill/harm them.

Just take it easy, bud.

13. brown_chunx

brown_chunx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm not trying to rant, it just seems like DrJones was posting in the wrong thread or something. SWIM never even messes with pills other than ms/oxycontin, but he acquired some darvocets and was wanting to do a CWE on them, to remove the APAP (which I'm sure they contain).

I wasn't planning on snorting or shooting the CWE result, because I has half a brain (maybe even more). snorting any painkiller that contains other ingredients (other than the opiate, APAP usually) is just wasteful and probably harmful. But injecting them is just way out of question.

Like I said, I didn't want to rant, and I wasn't offended or pissed of, I know he was trying to help, I just never said anything about that, and I thought it was rather obvious I was joking.

14. Son of Axeman

Son of Axeman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Sarcasm is lost on the internet. While the forum may be frequented by people who aren't drug addicts, doesn't mean they don't care for one-another, and don't get worried when SWIa board member says something like that. Even if there was a sarcasm button, You don't joke about that. Simply an issue of appropriateness.

Not to chew You out or anything, SWIM's only trying to keep the peace, as wel as get the message out to others who may frequent the board.

15. georgeny30

georgeny30 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Is 4000mg of APAP the maximum you should take for the entire day, or does the liver filter some out every few hours or so allowing you to take a few more??

16. Micklemouse

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    4000mg (4 grams) is the maximum you can safely take in any 24 hour period. So starting at, say, 9am you can take that amount between then & 9am the next morning. Please don't take "per day" as
    meaning you can take the max dose between, for example, 8 pm & midnight the same day, then take another 4 grams between midnight & 8pm the next day.

Remember that a significant proportion of paracetamol related deaths are accidental & due to miscalculations of the dose taken.