Darvocet therapuetic questions?

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by ironmics, Mar 6, 2007.

1. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    Since tramadol has been failing him, since he started taking SSRI's swims doc switched him to darvocet today. He took one 100/650 around 6:45. By about 7:30 when the Simpsons ended he felt like he could barely move. It was a really comfortable numbing feeling quite different from other opiates he's taken. Absolutely no euphoria, but it was almost as comfortable as he's ever been in life. Unfortunately about 2 hours later, most effects were gone and the pain was back but not as bad as it usually is:(. So....

My first question is, when is it safe to redose?
    Second, how bad does darvocet usually cause respiratory depression?(he didn't notice any, but it's a tough thing to notice sometimes)
    Third, is there any home remedies to help potentiation(i.e. grapefruit juice)? I know it is not a typical opioid, but I do know it has active metabolites. Sadly I can't find if a CYP450 does the metabolizing or something else, but he definitely knows that it's not 2D6(the reason why he wanted it instead of going back to codiene).
    Finally, how safe is it to combine with gabapentin or maybe a small dose (.5-1mg) of ativan?
    I know people are going to come out and say OMG DONT COMBINE BENZOS AND OPIATES PERIOD. However, he's done it many times under the supervision of a doctor, and he's not going to be taking any recreational doses of any of the drugs.

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Propoxyphene (Darvon) shows very good bio-availability orally. Hence it is available in oral forms only (to my knowledge - USA). As it is a chemical cousin of methadone, the risk of respiratory-depression should not be taken lightly.

3. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    I'm defeinitely not taking it lightly, but I know different opiates can cause different amounts of depression at therapuetic doses. Also, he's aware of the darvon cocktail, which is why he thought he should have me ask before combining. The pharmacists around here are idiots and never mention breathing depression with opiates. All they say is they'll make you drowsy, and if someone asks about depression they don't have much idea about it. He asked if it would be ok to take low doses of tramadol, cyclobenzaprine, and ativan at the same time. The response wasn't reassuring to their knowelge so he just didn't do it.

Tags: