Darvon

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by HippieD9, Dec 16, 2004.

1. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Does anyone have any info on Darvon aka propoxyphene? I had a bottle about a year ago and LOVED them. I found them mentally relaxing, while at the same time physically really speedy. Everyone else who had em says the same.

Peace,

D.

2. hacnslash

hacnslash Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  3. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, that's the only info I've ever been able to find. I have a lot of experiance with opiates, and Darvon definatly was in a class by itself. I was just wondering if anyone had any other info about it, or ideas as to why it is so different from the others.

peace,

D.

4. Phos

Phos Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Propoxyphene is actually more related to methadone in many ways than it is to morphine. Like L/D methadone sold in the US, Propoxyphene also has NMDA antagonist effects, though they are somewhat weaker.

Interestingly enough, like methadone it tends to stay around a long time. If you are taking it 4 times a day you end up with peak plasma concentrations (and start to get some pain relief) around day 9. For pain this isn't a good drug for once or twice a day dosing for this reason. Get euphoria, but never get pain relief.

It also has a low margin of safety. Doses of only 600mg of the N-salt version have been fatal in people, and it tends to induce respiratory depression a lot sooner than analgesia. It also doesn't play well with others, so taking a little bit to add to whatever other opioid or CNS depressant you are using is taking a gamble.

5. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    HippieD9, how many mg of propoxyphene are u taking? i have done 3 pills which is 300mg total i believe and felt nothing. maybe i wasnt doing enough.

6. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was doing 3-4 and LOVED it. Never found anything else like it, made me feel like a little kid. [​IMG]

D.

7. raavenhawk

raavenhawk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.S.A.
    Well hippie at least you can get them pretty cheep. Like .50 cents each. Glad you like them.

8. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    LOL I wish I had that deal, I've found them once and never again, but then again I haven't looked for them much online. But thanks!

Peace,

D.

9. LD50

LD50 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    48 y/o from Canada
    You can find plenty of source on line for a reasonable price. Don't pay more than a $1 per cap and make sure they are the full strength ones. Some places sell 30 or 32mg caps for the same as regular darvon.

Later
    LD50

10. moldie

moldie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Propoxyphene is one of the worst opiods ever created. Are you people gone mad or are you just without any tolerance? I believe, and I am stating this as a fact, that ibuprofen may very well have a higher therepeutic index. One a plus not, injection of pure propoxy at the 300+ mg level feels amazing - great rush.

11. dude

dude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This may be too old of a post to respond to, but "Swim hears you Moldie" I am going nuts trying to find a vic or something. I have some poppy pods coming and I am ready to go chase the mail lady down right now. I am shaking but still won't take Darvon. Swim says that he has a full bottle of 120 65mg Darvons and I will not even waste his time on them. Hippie....I say that you is one lucky man if you can feel great on Darvon. Good for you. Swim says he wishes that he was so lucky. I have 3 refills of 120 on these too. What a waste. Right Hippie?;)

12. SumoCat

SumoCat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Ahh, yes, propoxyphene. Also comes as "Darvocet", which is Propoxyphene-N-100/650 APAP. This is the first thing SWIM'S doc gave her for (possibly) FMS related pain.

It will knock out a migraine fast, but I find it is not that great for body-wide aches and pains.

However, it can take the 'edge' off of Vic cravings fairly well, if one is low-moderate in their habit.

SWIM's glad to see they 'do it' for someone, though! But in agreement about overall ineffectiveness re: pain control. One could just as well take 2 Tylenol and an Advil, IMHO.
    -Sumo

13. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I find that propoxyphene is decent for pain control, and great for controlling cravings as stated by sumocat!

recreationally swim found that when he had no tolerance, it was alot more fun. a few of these would have swim in a nicely opiated state, and his didnt contain APAP, so much the better for swim.

after swim built a tolerance, he found that the side effects included a feeling of cloudy-headedness akin to tramadol, and it felt a bit more sedating and "dirty" than other opiates, so swim understands why many people do not like it.

however, it does work well for migraines in swim's opinion, just one will greatly reduce even debilitating pain. in swim's eyes this is more a utilitarian drug than a recreational one.

14. Herbal Remedy

Herbal Remedy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was in a car accident years ago and was given a script of darvocet (his first encounter with a bottle of pills) and it was a life changing experience. I have chewed/snorted oxys n such since but has never found them to produce a feeling like I felt on darvocet. Perhaps if I got them again he might not find them as great as he once did, but for that week and a half he felt like hes never felt before...

15. oxyholic91086

oxyholic91086 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim also enjoys the effects of propoxy alot but doesnt feel anything on something like tramadol. oh well guess its different for different people. however I would like to find a way to get the apap out so he could do more than just 2 or 3 darvocets.

Tags: