1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

USA - Daughter of Miami drug cop, 10, wins science fair with cocaine police dog project

Discussion in 'Weird News' started by DmTryp, Jan 30, 2013.

1. DmTryp

DmTryp Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    A Miami narcotics detective's daughter nabbed a blue ribbon at her school science fair with a project that tested police dogs’ ability to sniff out a stash of cocaine. The 10-year-old left the actual drug-handling to cops from the department's narcotics division.

Like daddy, like daughter.

A Miami narc’s daughter nabbed a blue ribbon at her school science fair with a project that tested police dogs’ ability to sniff out a stash of cocaine.

Emma Bartelt, 10, never actually handled the coke, leaving that up to her dad, Miami-Dade Police Det. Douglas Bartelt and two drug cops in his narcotics bureau, the Miami Herald reported.

The fourth-grader’s experiment tested three dogs' drug-sniffing prowess and was carried out on police grounds.

"It was kinda my idea, because I wanted to do my dad's job," Emma told the Herald.

The dogs -- a springer spaniel, a golden retriever and a chocolate lab - were timed to see how long it took them to find an ounce of cocaine hidden in two different rooms.

The clever grade-schooler nabbed the top prize at her school science fair at Coral Gables Preparatory Academy and also received honorable mention at a county-wide fair held at Miami Dade College over the weekend.

The school district said it had no issues with the project.

"The student's science project involved a very unusual set of circumstances, including having a parent who is a well-respected police detective with experience in training dogs that sniff for illegal substances," the statement said, according to the Herald.

“From our understanding, the parent was the only person involved in working directly with the dogs and the hidden substances, which took place at a police training facility."

The chocolate Lab, Franky, was tops in the experiment, sniffing out the drugs in 43 seconds.

New York Daily News
    29th January 2013
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/4th-grader-coke-project-wins-science-fair-article-1.1250444

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  2. runnerupbeautyqueen

runnerupbeautyqueen Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from Denton, Texas (so basically Dallas)
    So the dad trained the dogs and handled and hid the drugs... so what did the girl do, exactly?

I cant imagine the daughter of a grocery store clerk would win a blue ribbon if her dad timed how fast he could put cans on a shelf.

What is a ten year old doing knowing about cocaine anyway?

3. stryder09

stryder09 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Yeah, exactly how was this a scientific experiment fit for a science fair?
    what did she exactly do?

A better project - train the dog to find cathinones, etc.

4. Hp Rush

Hp Rush Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Ya not sumthin I'd want my ten year old knowing and what exactly was the experiment?!?

5. torachi

torachi Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    But they make it clear she had nothing to do with it, which begs the question: why didn't they award the blue ribbon to daddy?

If I was one of the other kids I woulda been furious.

6. MikePatton

MikePatton Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o Male from israel
    Totally unfair, the other kids probably put some thought and effort to their project, this lazy girl just went to daddy to fix that shit for her and she won. Cheater!