Health - days to stop zyprexa (olanzipine) before acid trip

Discussion in 'LSD' started by treecore69, Nov 7, 2005.

1. treecore69

treecore69 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am currently prescribed to zyprexa for sleep. his doctor took him off benzos because she was concerned about addiction and clonidine did not work so she gave zyprexa, an antipsychotic. it is a good sleep aid, however, i, as well as SWIM, are aware that antipsychotics block thereceptors that lsd affects.I am not psychotic/skitzofrenic and has had FANTASTIC trips on lsa and shrooms as well as enjoying the effects of ecstasy in the past. I have used lsa as recently as this summer and ecstasy within thepast month without any negative affects. SWIM last took zyprexa on saturday (2 nights ago)and plans on not taking it again until he wants to sleep after hetrips onacid, which I currently have access to. how long should SWIM wait after his last dose to drop a couple tabs? i already used the search engine and google to try to help SWIM out so any information would be appreciated. also, if anyone knows a sleep aid other than antipsychotics, benzos, or clonidine that I could get from a psychiatrist with knowledge of past drug abuse post it here. again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Given olanzapine's half life of up to 50+ hours (at the very most - mean is about 30), anytime in the next day or so and you should be ready to rock and roll! I'm guessing that if it's only being used as a sleep aid the dose should be well under 10 mg (nearer 5?), so your friend shouldn't have too much to clear.

So far as alternative sleep aids go, your friend's onto a winner with olanzapine at the dose given as a hypnotic, so long as there's no history of diabetes. It has a relatively low unwanted effect profile, naff all recreational value, doesn't appear to be addictive in any way, and tolerance/dependence shouldn't be too much of an issue. If your friend isn't getting any extra-pyramidal side effects (stiffening of jaw, wrists and shoulders, uncontrollable movements, restlessness, thickening of the tongue), excessive weight gain, over-salivation or dehydration, or any of the other jolly symptoms described in the patient information leaflet - and at the dose used for hypnotic purposes your friend would be very unlucky and sensitive indeed to be getting these! - there's no real reason to change, so long as it's being used as a temporary aid. Sounds like your friend has that rarest of things - a decent doctor!

Happy tripping, and let us know how it goes!

3. treecore69

treecore69 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thanks for the help I am on a dose like you described (5mg) and he will probably be dropping this saturday! update to follow.

4. treecore69

treecore69 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    alright SWIM ended up taking two hits last night, roughly 50 hours after stopping zyprexa. all he can say is WOW. what an incredible chemical. and he means that in the best possible way.

5. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    [​IMG] Welcome to the wonderful, wibbly world of Alice! Glad you get on with each other! [​IMG]

Now, (and this not directed at you Treecore!) a few words of warning, by way of a disclaimer, and I'm going to say it loud, even though it shouldn't need to be said at all...

The above advice only applies to Olanzapine (aka Zyprexa) when used as a sleeping aid.</font>

If you are taking Olanzapine for any other reason, e.g. as a mood stabiliser or antipsychotic, the above advice does not apply to you. Under no circumstances should you stop taking your medication dead for the sake of a trip if you are living with schizophrenia, manic-depression or any other psychotic condition requiring the use of an antipsychotic medicine.</font>

Doing so runs the risk of a rebound psychosis or full blown relapse, which may need hospital admission to stabilise. </font></font>

Always speak to your doctor if you want to start reducing or coming off meds, ESPECIALLY antipsychotics. You'll be saving yourself, your loved ones and the already beleagured health services a lot of hassle!</font></font>

Play safe, Kittlings! [​IMG] Edited by: Micklemouse