1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Extraction - De-Shelling Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds

Discussion in 'LSA seeds' started by JDreaming, Apr 20, 2007.

1. JDreaming

JDreaming R.I.P. Gold Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Apr 19, 2007
    I recently started experimenting with LSA containing seeds, starting with morning glories and then- after finding them difficult to work with due to the quantity involved- moved to Hawaiian Baby Woodrose. SWIM read repeatedly about how important it is to remove the "fuzzy seed coat" and how this area contains most of the nasty glycosides. But upon arrival, I found them almost impossible to de-shell. There seems to be no firm line where the shell ends and the seed center begins; there's certainly no seam that you could pull it apart from, like with sunflower seeds. It seems to be coated in a rock-hard, firmly bonded shell material. SWIM can cut a seed in half and see the white center and the dark edges, but found it almost impossible to hold a tiny seed down, take a knife to it and cut it. I tried cutting, filing, scissoring, clipping pieces off with nail clippers, and generally trying anything available to take off seed shells without eliminating good material. But even after spending like ten minutes on a single seed it still didn't look cleanly and safely de-shelled. Does anyone have advice on how to easily prepare Hawaiian Baby Woodrose for extraction/consumption? Thanks in advance.
  2. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor Supporter

Reputation Points:
    Jul 13, 2006
    from U.S.A.
    Re: De-Shelling Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds

Get X-acto knife.

Apply to outside of side.

Continue as necessary until it feels like you are scraping against rock.

You are set.
  3. seechao

seechao Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Jan 23, 2007
    37 y/o from Canada
    Re: De-Shelling Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds

I have noticed that many etho botanical suppliers now have pre-shelled seeds, with only little tiny patches of fluff on one out of 5 seeds, it is a brownish beige coating, very light and fluffy, and flakes off the darker seed, if your seeds are already dark, your seeds have probably been pre-cleaned. I have also noticed the fluffies flaking off all by themselves, leaving a layer of fluff at the bottom of his bag of seeds, look carefully, you should see some evidence of the fluff on a few seeds, or at the bottom of the bag, if so, flake those bits off, but dont worry too much. I did the same thing, and husked a few seeds down to the pulp before figuring it out, which gave him quite alot of work to do, for nothing.